How many tanks of gas did it take you to break in your Octane?

How many tanks of gas did it take you to break in your Octane?

• Total voters
This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The more I run mine the gooder it gets! Lol.. I have not touched a needle yet. I have not hit 3rd yet. So I may adjust the trans and get stronger clutch springs before I tune.

How many tanks have you used up so far?

No issues with start/stall or fouled spark plug?

How do you mean stronger clutch springs would affect gear switching? I changed my clutch shoes the other day and noticed there where different size springs with the new.
I assume stronger ones require more rpm before the car starts moving, and also more wear on the clutch. What would the advantage be?

I don't hear my engine "revving out" fully yet, so i think I still have a bit to go with the break-in.

Not sure how many tanks but it has close to 2 gallons. Zero fouled plugs. Stronger springs mean more r's before engagement. Less lag on take off. Only a theory.. been wrong before.. like to drop a tooth on cb at the sane time.

Ok, that's about 25 tanks I think.
Whether it will increase or decrease lag is an interesting thought. As it won't grip in until the motor has increased it's rpm, thus it could be that it takes a bit longer before the car starts to move. But when i starts to move, it might do it a bit more agressive. On the other hand, springs aren't binary, so it could be that you even increase the lag and get a lot of extra wear since you will not get the same gripping force between the shoes and the bell.
Just my thoughts. And as a matter of fact I had them before you wrote your comment, as I changed the shoes the other day, and then noticed I got stronger springs with them. Tried them, swapped back ;) But they were a lot stronger.

I am assuming that the engine, once broken in, has plenty of power to make the car wheelie, and thus I want to have as soft springs as possible to maximize the grip between the shoes and the bell.

But I am a newbie and all of the above are just my wild guesses, I could definitley be very wrong :)

Let us know how it works out for you :)

I think it takes over a gallon of fuel to get the response out of the engine to make anyone happy. And the engine is constantly breaking in.

"Lagging" at takeoff or "Not revving out" at top end is not the result of an engine not being broken in. It doesn't happen "automatically" when proper break in has been achieved. It is the proper tuning of both the LSN and the HSN that makes the engine perform. 5 tanks is the minimum usually required by the manufacturer, and after that many guys will just beat the snot out of the engine. Sure, it runs, but it won't last long. Any engines I've ever had have been tuned slightly every few tanks and even at close to a gallon, never really pushed. Constant monitoring of the running temp and slight adjustments to the HSN to compensate for ambient temp and humidity and your engine will tell you when it's ready.

Latest posts

Members online

Back