How many savage types reccomend me one

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keane

Hi, I'm a bit of a newbie and am looking in to getting my first savage but unsure which one to go for.
I'm looking to spend about £400 maybe a wee bit more if it makes a difference and i been looking around and am a bit confused, am i right in saying that there are a few types of savages about ie 46, x , ss , xl or wotever, can someone reccomend me one as don't know much difference, i will prob be just tearaing along the field doing few jumps over hills and my 4yr old son having a go with it. i know they are kinda tough as this is my main reason for getting one... TIA

You can't go wrong with any Savage if you are looking for a backyard basher. There is none finer.

But all of them are a lot of beast to hand over to 4 year old. Just make sure you are familiar with it before that happens. :)

These things can seriously damage you or your property.

The newest ones out right now and the best IMO is the X 4.6 RTR and then the newest XL. The XL comes with a few upgrades but some people don't like the motor because of it being mostly bottom end, but I have not run one so don't take my word on that. I am running a X 4.6 RTR right now and love it. Very strong and fast for a RTR motor IMO.

Welcome Keane. The SS is a 'kit' meaning that you have to assemble it & (i believe) buy the radio equipment separately. The x4.6 rtr & xl 5.9 rtr are 'ready to run' meaning you don't have to assemble them & they come with radio equipment. You just buy batteries, nitro fuel & a glow ignitor & you can take it out in the field & let 'er rip.
Here in the US, the xl is appx $130.00 more than the x 4.6 & comes with many upgraded parts (not to mention a bigger engine and longer/lower chasis) that, if you plan to purchase separately for your 4.6 later on (the boat that i'm in) will cost you considerably more.
I, like HPI SAV 25 have the x 4.6 rtr & love it. it is very powerful & durable & either it or the xl are an excellent choice for the purpose that you mention

Welcome to the site! I am a kit lover. So I lean towards the Xss as it gives you building experience and a much better understanding of your truck. But you can go wrong as every one has said!

Cheers for the welcome wasnt gonna say this for getting a big booing but i am at present selling me menace 21 on ebay as it was my first nitro and to be honest a bad buy as its too easy to break even with the hopups so i think i will get the rtr std 46. son is young but just nuts about cars, super mario kart and exite truck on the wii are the in thing at the moment. One last question by the way, if i buy a std 46 is there anything i should upgrade straight away apart from a fail safe and battery pack ( might aswell as shop will fit all ) was told at shop that the guy would rather take engine out 10 times rather than replace batteries in car as its a bit of a pig to do, why is this...T I A

Cheers for the welcome wasnt gonna say this for getting a big booing but i am at present selling me menace 21 on ebay as it was my first nitro and to be honest a bad buy as its too easy to break even with the hopups so i think i will get the rtr std 46. son is young but just nuts about cars, super mario kart and exite truck on the wii are the in thing at the moment. One last question by the way, if i buy a std 46 is there anything i should upgrade straight away apart from a fail safe and battery pack ( might aswell as shop will fit all ) was told at shop that the guy would rather take engine out 10 times rather than replace batteries in car as its a bit of a pig to do, why is this...T I A
Keane, are you saying that the guy told you that it is difficult to take the engine out of a savage?
Also, i don't think that anyone would boo you for selling another r/c, but congratulate you on coming over to the savage side!!!:resp:

Nah for some reason he said bring round wot bits u have ie battery failsafe wotever and they would fit it all beings i am getting a new truck from them then he said it was a pig of a job replacing or fitting the battery and he would rather replace the engine 10 times than the battery just the once, i have seen the savage but never took any notice of where the battery was or how to replace it. on menace its a 5min job....so wots the deal.. ?

i went with the XL and shortly after got a Futaba radio and pull start. so maybe i should have went with the kit. but it was my first nitro. some say its all low end and that is a con. but for me it works out great. probably would be a bit much for the youngster though

I don't have a problem with replacing the batteries.....pull the pin, take the cover off, turn the knob, pull the receiver holder off, pop the batteries out and pop new ones in or recharge your hump pack if you have one and put it all back. I can replace the batteries in less than a minute probably....not hard at all.

Nah for some reason he said bring round wot bits u have ie battery failsafe wotever and they would fit it all beings i am getting a new truck from them then he said it was a pig of a job replacing or fitting the battery and he would rather replace the engine 10 times than the battery just the once, i have seen the savage but never took any notice of where the battery was or how to replace it. on menace its a 5min job....so wots the deal.. ?
IDK its not hard to get at a X battery.
He must not know what he is talking about.

dunno if this is gonna repeat, never worked first time....

Guy in shop said he would rather takeout /replace engine 10 times than replace battery pack once as its a pig of a job to do. on menace it would take 5 mins so was wondering wots the big deal.... ?

Like the other guys have said, it is very simple to access the batteries & on that note, very easy to access pretty much any component or part on the savage. if you can, bring your dig camera to the hobby shop & shoot us a couple of photos of what this guy is talking about.

the savage 21 and 25 are kinda hard to replace batts but the x is so easy it stupid your 4 year old could do it in less than 5 mins

Members online

Back