How I painted/cut my body's!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larsenracing

Manufacturer
Alright, I went to the LHS and purchased a Proline 3230-00 07' Chevy Crew Cab Truck body which will be placed on my Extended Savy. This body is a MGT/LST size.
painting001.jpg

I also got some Pactra spray paint as I want it do be done fast as I will just destroy it anyway. The colors I chose were race orange #RC256 and Race Red #RC254
painting.jpg

I used a standard scissors to trim the excess lexan.
painting002.jpg

I use a Rolo Zip spiral cutter for cutting my body's out along with a standard 1/2" round sandpaper sanding wheel for cleanup.
painting003.jpg

painting004.jpg

I then cut around the edges with the spiral bit.
painting005.jpg

I then mark and drill for the body mount posts. Thought the next process fit the Body to the truck several times to ensure a proper fit.

Then mark where parts need to be cut for things like roll bars, fuel tank fill holes, windshields.
painting006.jpg

painting007.jpg

Then using the Sanding wheel clean everything up.

I use dawn dish soap and warm water in the sink and wash it out good getting all the oils and dust from clean up off. Once its dry place the provided window covers on the inside of the body to keep them clear.

At this point you are going to start to paint. Like I said I was doing this one fast because I will just destroy it anyway as it will be on my basher truck.

I decided that I was going to use the orange in the front of the truck and use the red on the rear and faid them together in the middle in a diagonal pattern.

I first painted the orange and then painted the red right after so it looked like this.
painting011.jpg

I let it dry for about 15-20 minuets then painted a see threw coat of orange in the middle and immediately fallowed with the red so they would blend greatly together instead of being spotted. I let it dry for about 5-10 minuets and gave it a nice backer coat of the Red just to help against scratching.
painting013.jpg

Now I let it dry overnight so everything can get cured. Making sure it is a worm dry room or it will take much longer to cure.

I then take the window stickers off along with the clear plastic sheet protective film off the top.
painting016.jpg

Place it on the truck to make sure that it fits correctly and nothing else needs to be cut or modified.
painting019.jpg

Then cut the sticker sheet out which has the lights, door handles and so on. Trim these nice and neat close to the edges of the parts wanted this make it look that much better.
painting022.jpg

Now stick the decals of your choice where you want them.
painting023.jpg

painting024.jpg

painting025.jpg

painting026.jpg

I also like the Dubro Klip Retainers
painting021.jpg

And the finnished product on the truck.
painting029.jpg

painting027.jpg

painting028.jpg

It's time now to go bash and destroy it and start all over again.

Enjoy and have fun.:jamout:

Sorry the picts don't show the difference in color very well along with the affect of the faiding but it looks much better in person. Also everyone has there own way of soing this but this is how I did this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice job larsen!
I was beginning to wonder if you owned any lids. I only see your truck topless. :)

LOL, I like top less unless I'm driving them. I guess you always see them topless because I am always working on them. The only time I throw a top on is when there running.

Thanks for the comments.

I also wanted to note that when using the spiral bit take it easy as it can take off if you don't watch what you are doing. It is also much more controllable in one direction verse's the other.

Very cool there Larsen!!! I like that fade job my man! :)

I can't wait to see it with the stickers all installed!

Great job Larsen, the fade is pretty dang impressive, especially considering it was done with rattle cans. There really isn't any point or line where it goes from red to orange...it just sort of changes color.

Makes me wish I could paint a new lid!

YeahYeah, I know I was thinking the same think. I was very impressed with the transition. I'm sure there is no way I could duplicate it, or maybe I could. Maybe next time I should go with colors that change more drastically so it shows the difference a bit more.

I hear what your saying with that bit and Dremel. I have had that sucker take off on me a couple times and was *^$%#@@!!!
Oh and I think the body sits too low LOL JK!

larsen, is there a perticular reason you chose pactra paint rather than a krylon thats made for plastic? just curious cause i have to bodies i wanted to paint this weekend

I have never tryed the Krylon, but the Pactra is made for Lexan hobbie bodies. You generally get it at the hobby shop. The Pactra has much more spictacular colors as well.

what do u think about puting duct tape on the in side of the truck body sfter everything is done so that it will stay together better when you crash or land wrong

Not sure it may help but it will still crack and the DT will pull away form the edges then and get gravel/dirt onto it and then not re stick.

Many have used shoe glue on the corners inside which help it not to rip out.

nice lid.. i use dt on the inside of some of my lids never peels up dirt cant get under it when stuck down on clean paint. it helps with cracking and helps hold chipped paint in place a lil better stops the clear spots you get in the lid.. nice job larsen. i totaly get the fadeing and camera not giveing it justice on the pc. my lids are so nice in rl. compaired to on the pc..

061109_174301.jpg

061109_160501.jpg

061109_160201.jpg

011009_124900.jpg

011009_124801.jpg

011109_083400.jpg

020709_104600.jpg

020709_104702.jpg

020709_104800.jpg

041109_142101.jpg

041109_142201.jpg

good info, finished lid is impressive. i am fixin to paint my rubicon body. my first paintjob. thanks for the info,it will help.:blastaway:

Great info thanks. Helped a lot for painting my first body. I used a carbide cutting bit vs. a spiral cutter and seemed to not want to wonder quite so much. The sander is a must however. My painting though....yet to be desired.
Thanks!

Latest posts

Members online

Back