How I paint a body shell

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jam Racing 1

HPISF Supporter
OK I was asked to make a thread on painting a body, this is a 66 F100 Short Course body I picked up for my savage and decided to go the old skool flames on it... The mask is from XXX Main called the fatty flames, first thing I do is trim off the flashing around the bottom of the shell and wheel wells, then I cut holes to mount and fit to the truck..... after it is mounted I take it to the sink and use some dishsoap and wash the inside to clean up after mounting it on the truck

some of the tools to make trimming and making holes easier, lexan scissors a small cone grinding stone to make perfect mount holes and a small metal ruler along with a few clean bottles for mixing paint and eyedroppers for adding thinner to the paint and a glass mixing rod I use and some assorted rags to keep things clean and nice and clean between steps, before putting on any paint I use a bit of denatured alcohol to clean the paint surface to remove any crap that may foul up the paint job

this is also when I cut any holes for the head/cage, etc and anything else needing trimmed to fit the shell

I masked the front bumper and grille caz they are gonna be chrome and put on my graphic and window masks...

Next I masked off the rest of the area I wanna do a different color than the body make sure to check side to side for alignment and make sure to cover it all good with good quality painters tape...

Next up is the main body color , in this case it is metallic blue, I spray a light coat and let it setup, then I do a wet coat and cover it all like I want it to be......

I faded a bit of black around the flames to give it a bit of depth and unmasked the tape from the area next to be painted....

A bit of bright yellow on first and fill the rest with racing red and cover it all good....

next I unmasked the grille and bumper for the chrome, it doesnt look chrome yet because I have not sealed it with water based black to make it shiney so here it looks silver....

here it is backed up with the water based black......

Here it is all finally backed up in silver to make it opaque.... it also is fuelproof and just gives a finished look to the inside....

and after pulling off the outer film to reveal the finished job...... after it dries a couple days I will finish trim the body and get a couple shots on the truck all finished... all thats left is cleanup the airbrushes and put away all the necessary stuff for painting.....

Today the paint was dry enough to final trim and put on a few decals,did a bit of shading and outlining with a black sharpie and mounted it on the chassis, I am really happy with how it turned out....

So there you have it, about 10 hours total time into masking,painting and detailing it... I think this one will be kept for pretty and the old shell will get run for now till it is finally all destroyed and torn up....
Thanks for following along with my thread about painting a shell.....
any questions I will be happy to help anyone with their paint projects...

No wonder I never could find it - didn't know there were two versions of it.
The one you linked is the one I like yes. Thanks.

I'll need to modify it for the exhaust and octane engine I guess
Will order a couple while I remember what to get.
Still need to build my workshop first...

Looking forward to see any pictures of it running.

Latest posts

Members online

Back