How do you set the first shift point on a 3-speed tranny?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scottj

I'm sure this topic has been discussed before but I just installed the 3-speed tranny on my SS and at first she wouldn't shift at all and the engine really wound up so I adjusted the one set point I knew I could see which I assume was the 2nd to 3rd shift point. Now she shifts into what I assume is 3rd because she really flies now. My question is how do I set the 1st to 2nd shift point? The tranny I have allows me to take the top cover off and I've heard that makes the adjustment process easier. Any advice out there??

Thanks
Scott

Yes and you partially disassemble the tranny to get to the clutch piece inside of second gear. It sounds hard but once you do it you'll see how easy it is. I had mine apart like four times before I got it just right but it is worth it. Just a tip to save a little time... Don't put your roll bar back on until you know the tranny is set the way you want. That'll prevent you from taking it off again if you still don't like how it's shifting. The manual has good diagrams which help a ton if you have it. Also, I would only adjust in 1/4 turn increments at first and then you can go with smaller turns to fine tune it once you get it close. Clockwise shifts later, counter-clockwise shifts sooner.

Hi all,

I'm in the process of setting my 3 speed now that my new mill is broken in. What is a good starting point for set up. I adjusted 3rd all the way in so it would not shift. I'm not sure of a good starting point for 2nd. Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Leslie

My XL manual say something like 3.5 turns in from flush for 2nd and 5 turns in form flush for 3rd gear but these did not work at all for me for some reason. The truck was not shifting right so I took it all apart and set it to factory settings just to find out it still did not shift right. So my advice to you is to simply use trial and error to find what setting works best for your truck. Adjust in 1/4 turn increments till it's close then use smaller turns to fine tune it. If you have 3rd tightened so that it will not use it this will make things easier for you because when it shifts you'll know that it is second gear that you are hearing. Once you have second set where you want you won't need to get into the tranny anymore because you can change 3rd from outside the truck. I had mine apart like 4 times before I got it just right LOL!

Also if you change your fuel settings you might need to change your tranny settings as well to match the difference in RPM's.

I haven't gone into my trans yet to fix second, but I really need to. Right now its factory set and it is completely skipping second gear.

Yeah I don't know why but the factory set on my XL was way too tight on 2nd gear. It was tighter than third on spring tension so it would never use it.

ah ha!

I looked at the XL manual, thanks for the reference. I was adjusting all the way in, then loosening three turns. I think I'll start from flush with 3.25 turns in as a starting point.

thanks!!
Leslie

I am installing a 3 soeed in my Savage X 4.6 this week. Perhaps I should adjust the 1 to 2 shift beffore installing the trans. Thinking 1.4 turn counter-clock-wise to get quicker shift fron 1 to 2 as a starting point as it seems that the factory settings are off in that direction. What do you guys think? Just trying to not remove transmission after it is in the truck. Thanks for your time.
Mike

Members online

Back