How do you pull trany

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bullseye

I have a problem with my Tranny on my 4.6 but can't figure how to get it out...

do you have to loosen up the diffs to get it out.....

Well if you need to pull the whole tranny,take off the left side TVP,split upper/lower trans case and you should get it out. Otherwise just split the upper case only to access the internals-I'm not sure what you are after.
Dave

Thanks .....something keeps locking up in there and needs fixed

locks up all 4 wheels at times......spur is perfect

MMM I had that before too and it was the front diff with a broken pinion tooth. Before you pull TVP I would check your diff(s).
Dave

Really.......I was thinking Diffs at first but it feels like in the tranny when you turn the spur by hand with motor out.......but then again it could still be diffs I guess.........

I will check diffs first......never been apart after around 8 - 10 tanks of fuel

Thanks alot

No problem! Yeah I thought it was tranny related too when it happened to me so don't feel bad lol. And thats way too long to not check/service the diffs. Keep us updated on what you find.
Dave

Well I'm a stickler for preventative maintenance so I check backlash after every bash fest and service internals every other run. I'm sure thats way too often but thats just me. I would say service/inspect at least at every 5th tank?
I'm sure other members will say how often they do it.
Dave

Probably not often enough in my case. Pineapple definatetly has the right idea, better to check regularly than have one give out at the wrong moment. Then again when is there a right moment !? The best way to check your diffs, is to hold the input drive cup still, and then gentley rock one of the one of the output cups back and forth. You need to hold just the drive cups so you can only feel the backlash (play) between the pinion and crown wheel. Then hold each output cup and rotate them to feel if the actual diff gears are ok.
Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Members online

Back