How do I tell which model savage I have here?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeK1981

ChondroManiac
I don't have my camera, so no pics for now but I picked up an old savage today for $30. Everything is there and appears functional except no motor pipe or fuel tank. It has the polished aluminum TVP's and roll bar and a different radio box and diff cases than my XL. I'm assuming it is a 21 or 25, can you guys help me out with some tips and maybe some pics to tell which model I have sitting here. I'll try to find the camera too, the wife took it somewhere.

Oh and it has HPI dirt bones tires, on some chrome HPI wheels that have six circular holes with curved spokes, if that helps any.

Yes it does look like that one but with different rims. When did they change the diff cases?

Like I said in the original post, it does have the old diff cases. On these older trucks, what does it take to bring them up to date? Will the X diff cases and radio box drop right in or will I need new TVP's as well to make that stuff work. Also the motor plate is very thin. Where do you guys think I should start with this truck? I want to give it to my cousin, but he can only afford an inexpensive mill. I'm thinkin' maybe an Axial .28 and an HPI polished pipe? I'm gonna throw new diff bearings in the front and rear and inspect the diffs. Other than that it is ready to go I think. I put a new radio and receiver in it that I had sitting on the shelf that were brand new, and I have a hump pack to throw in it too. Everything is set up and working, just needs a motor, pipe, and fuel tank.

It would take more money to bring the truck up to date, With buying all new diff parts and everything really. Then u need a new engine tank .... ect ect .. your better off spending 200 on a running truck my .2

I think I may just leave most of it alone then. Try to find an extra tank and an HPI pipe for cheap and just tell him to run it the way it is. He just wants something to run but can't really afford much. Even a $100 mill he is gonna have to save for. But when the truck was only $30 and I'm giving him the TX, Rx, and a hump pack. He's probably not going to get started for any cheaper than that LOL.

I think I may just leave most of it alone then. Try to find an extra tank and an HPI pipe for cheap and just tell him to run it the way it is. He just wants something to run but can't really afford much. Even a $100 mill he is gonna have to save for. But when the truck was only $30 and I'm giving him the TX, Rx, and a hump pack. He's probably not going to get started for any cheaper than that LOL.

got a HPI polished for cheap.. comes with header and coupler.. pm me if you want.

i still am using 25 plastics on my truck, all i did was stick xss diffs and the new style tranny case and it works well for me

Thanks man, that's basically what I wanted to know. I don't plan on throwin' money at this thing but inevitably things are going to break so I was gonna have him just get the newer stuff as replacements as long as they fit.

So, it looks like the header I'm getting from Hyp won't fit this truck with the 8 shock setup. I threw my 5.9 in there to see it run but had to remove the forward shock on the right rear corner to get clearance. Anybody know which part number for the straight header to fit these old trucks, or better yet, anybody have one layin around?

BTW, I'll still buy all the stuff from you like we discussed Hyp, no biggie, the header can just be a spare for my XL.

Latest posts

Members online

Back