How did you end up with a savage?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pope

Just wondering how everyone found this hobby and how it came to be that you own a savage?

For me grew up next to a hobby shop. Started racing slot cars at 9 years old than once I got a real job first thing I bought myself was a nitro rc. Did a lot of shopping and reading around. I knew I wanted a monster truck so I researched all of them. Deceided on the savage but the 21 was the only one out at the time and the 25 was comming out in a few weeks so I waited till the 25 was released and went and bought that. That is where it all started for me anyway.

well i never really knew there nitro rc until my mom bought me a savage 21 back when i was like 10 when they came out but i never really payed much attention to it until like 2 yrs later when one of my friends got a tmaxx

well i never really knew there nitro rc until my mom bought me a savage 21 back when i was like 10 when they came out but i never really payed much attention to it until like 2 yrs later when one of my friends got a tmaxx

Some mom you have there. Does she want to addopt any more kids I am sure alot of us here would volenteer

I got my Savage a couple years ago but i already had a revo and a t maxx. my t maxx snapped a con rod and my dad got a savage 25 roller from ebay the same day. so we got the maxx on ebay and because of that i have a savage to this day and love it!

i started off on a rs4mt that needed lots of work and i made it work for a couple months bashed it and had fun then that christmass i got one of the few savage ss 25s at the lhs and i was happy.then the rc addticion grew lol

I had some POS nitro MT, Went to the hobby shop to go and get a TMaxx, The guy laughed and told me to save the headaches and get a savage. If I saved headaches with a savage, I would have went through my paychecks with advil.

My dad had a couple of old Championship edition RC10's back in 89, messed around with those till 95ish and took a long break from RC's ( not a concious decision, just drifted away from it). Took a trip to the LHS a few months ago after a friend posted a thread on a local Auto forum seeing if anyone had RC's. Spent an hour or so talking with a guy at the LHS, and decided on the X4.6 over the Revo due to it taking bashing better. Happy with the decision, seeing as any of the parts i've gone through are due to my HEAVY throttle finger. Spur gears, fuel tanks, a couple stock diffs, but no arms or bulks.

for me my real addiction started way back in the day with just about every tyco or radioshack rc i could afford then a fifteen year break from it. about a year and a half ago i had a few friends with rcs and they told me i should get one. i rushed out and bought junk ( acme lol ). had that for three weeks and broke evrything on it. did some homework and found a good used savage and havnt looked back. now i own 2 and enough parts for a third

I started with a Super Nitro RS4 1/8 touring car. Got really into streetbikes for a while and the RC thing kind of faded a bit. I still loved running my nitro car, and did frequently, but most of my funds at the time were being aimed at my bikes. Then I had a couple kids, worked all the time, and then I lost my job october of '08 and figured what the heck, I have all sorts of free time and my kids are old enough to have fun with and take care of themselves for the most part, let's spend $600 dollars on a new toy! I knew I wanted something with big off-road capabilities since my car is so limited on where I can run it, I wanted the opposite of a touring car in that sense. I was a fan of HPI already so the Savage was a natural fit. The XL had just come out so I went big LOL. Since then I've gotten an Exceed BlueRay 450 PE 3D heli, and have two Blitz's showing up tomorrow for my sons for xmas. I guess the obsession was there all along I just found the time to play more, not working, LOL. My wife thinks I'm nuts and she's gonna be really thrilled when she finds out about the Blitz's LOL. I'll just spring it on her xmas morning, how mad could she get? LOL.

I used to have those Radio Shack type R/C's when I was a kid. You know the ones that you have to back up to turn. lol.

My cousin had and still has a clodbuster that he build from a kit. I thought it was the coolest thing but I never bought one.

I was working with this one dude and he had a couple rustler nitros and was always playing with them at Lunch. Kinda got me thinking... I have my own money now and I have enough for one of those...

I bought a Used T-maxx with a Megatech 1HP on it from the Hobbyshop For Sale Board for $200.00. I still have that truck but not one single part on it is from when I bought it, lol.

Fast Forward...

I have 5 Trucks. I have had up to 10 at one time but I sold everything but 2. The last couple years I started building back up to have a truck for every MT Class for No Limit Events.

I own a Revo 3.3, Revo w/Picco.26, E-Revo MMM, T-Maxx w/Axial .28 (my puller) and I share an E-Maxx 16.8 with my daughter.

I used to have those Radio Shack type R/C's when I was a kid. You know the ones that you have to back up to turn. lol.

My cousin had and still has a clodbuster that he build from a kit. I thought it was the coolest thing but I never bought one.

I was working with this one dude and he had a couple rustler nitros and was always playing with them at Lunch. Kinda got me thinking... I have my own money now and I have enough for one of those...

I bought a Used T-maxx with a Megatech 1HP on it from the Hobbyshop For Sale Board for $200.00. I still have that truck but not one single part on it is from when I bought it, lol.

Fast Forward...

I have 5 Trucks. I have had up to 10 at one time but I sold everything but 2. The last couple years I started building back up to have a truck for every MT Class for No Limit Events.

I own a Revo 3.3, Revo w/Picco.26, E-Revo MMM, T-Maxx w/Axial .28 (my puller) and I share an E-Maxx 16.8 with my daughter.

Wow no savage at all. How does that picco do on the revo.

when i was still in my teenage years a buddy bought this big cool looking RC monster truck "electric" and was explaining how he could even hop it up to make it go faster so i ended up getting one, then later on i bought my first nitro,it was a t-maxx, then upgraded to the savage....

Well around august i was shopping around for a R/C truck.. craigslist, ebay looking for a good deal. I was by fluxurcouches house talking about R/C and how a deal ended up not working out so well and a neighbor overheard me and said.. hey i have a savage ill give ya for a hundred bucks if your willing to work on it.. things really dirty. I checked it out.. Brought it home.. I swear it had about a inch of dust on it. Cleaned her up and still was unsure about buying it till i ran into this forum. After seeing the mods / hop ups that can be done to this thing i was sold. Well that and a few you tube links i saw. Now that truck i bought sits in a box next to my workbench in pieces. LOL

my dads buddy had a bunch of 2 wds nitros and i wanted one so i told my dad a guy at his work had a t maxx for sale 150 and if i did not like it or had a problem he would help me or give me back my money so i sent my dad to work with the 150 the next day the next week i got my tmaxx it was in storage for sooo long that i sear that the thing had not even been touched in 5 years then played with it for a few months play with for 5 minutes on roading no jumps fix for 2 hours i spent over $200 in part i fixed it then put it in storage in my basement then my dads friend picked up a hellfire and i was hooked again then a meet a guy at the end of my street bashing and he had a warhead and i started talking to him nd then i sold my maxx to his friend for 275 then i bouht a hpi mt and then bought a savage x with a 25 motor that thing hated to run then i was hoccked as soon as i picked upp a new motor

Wow no savage at all. How does that picco do on the revo.

I haven't had a lot of time with it but it runs pretty good. Only really ran it at NLRCMD events so she isn't fine tuned for me yet.

when i first seen a hobby grade rc (or even heard of a thing lol) was 6 yrs ago when i seen my step fathers brother have a tmaxx with a digger lid on it well i mad up my mind then that that was wat i wanted and so i started the saving game. a yr or so later i got my first 1:1 truck and spaced out the tmaxx i had seen but oh well but last yr when i moved to OK i was making good money and a guy at work had a cen ct5 with an os .18 in it and he was selling it for 150 and he told me he couldnt get it to run but when he could it screamed,so i thought to my self "I'm a gear head and prolly could figure this thing out", so i bought it came home with it a couple days later and pull my guts out trying to figure that thing out being that this was my first nitro. well after it made its way to the garage and sat for a couple weeks i went to ebay to look for a MT (just a simple reminder i still was really green to the hobby) and i saw a redcat volcano sv for 189 and was like thats a good price so i bought it and when it got here i read the manual broke the mill in and ran it for a few weeks till the throttle servo locked up and hit my house at wot and turned it into a taco with the mill screaming its guts out. so i threw it next to the ct5 and found out i have a lhs in the city so i made my way up there and walked out with Dr.Disaster(savage x4.6) and haven't looked back since.

eric....

I started out with Tyco R/Cs for years, then kinda fell out of the loop on them. About 7 yrs ago bought a Stampede off Ebay, then a friend bought a TMaxx and I got bit by the nitro bug then. Then saw how much better the Savages hold up and the rest is history.

My friend had been coming over to run his revos on my 4-wheeler jumps. i just laughed and told him to grow up! well one day he let me drive his revo and i have to addmit i had a blast. So about a week later he shows up with this truck that had a general lee lid on it, he started it up handed me the controller and said $100.00 bucks and its yours when ever you get the money is fine, i was like well what is it? he replied, I don't know! i agreed with the deal not knowing what the heck i was buying..lol
i found out later @ my LHS it was the savage 21 and a very clean one at that..
this was it when i bought it.
general.jpg

I went to the second world finals saw some great looking trucks.my soninlaw(trixter) said why don,t you get one.now i have savyX4.6,Esavy,losi raminator,and mini T.

I blame it all on Pope. I had my T-Maxx, was happy at rctech.net, then he had to go and get me all jazzed up on these Savage thingies... two months later I don't have the Maxx, and I now have 4 savages - gee thanks! LOL

I blame it all on Pope. I had my T-Maxx, was happy at rctech.net, then he had to go and get me all jazzed up on these Savage thingies... two months later I don't have the Maxx, and I now have 4 savages - gee thanks! LOL

Your very welcome. At least now you will spend your wrench time upgrading not fixing your trucks.

I was heavy into 1/10 electric oval and off-road from 85-90. Stopped when I went off to college.
Fast forward to my son asking "Dad, what are those cars on the shelf" when he was 5. I put an old 1200 SCR nicad on the Turbo Charger and amazingly it took a charge after sitting for 15 years. We had fun with those, but he wasn't impressed with the run time. So, I started looking for a nitro version (for run time) of something. He wanted a monster truck type. After all my research I bought a brand new Savage X RTR.

That's where it all started... We now have 5 Savages total..... all either X or XSS, no XL's...

Same thing as Mickey, mostly. Had a few little Radio Shack RCs when I was a kid, then I grew up. Ended up buying a Revo 3.3 a few years back to have something to do while I was laid up on the road while driving OTR. That one palled on me pretty quick. The constant stream of money going into repairs put me off RC for a couple years after I got rid of the Revo. Then early this year I came across the Summit, and thought it looked pretty cool. I was hesitant about buying a Revo-based truck again, but figured at the lower speeds the Summit could manage, I wouldn't get into much trouble.
Thing is, when I went to the LHS to put the Summit on layaway, the guy at the counter showed me the Savage Flux. A couple days later, I came in and changed the layaway over to the Flux.

Well i always wanted a nitro car but my dad was into rc boats(electric)and always said not to bother with nitro as its to unreliable(which it used to be as i used to watch the guys with nitro boats spend ages trying to get them started only for them to conk out again).My dad got ill and unfortunatley died so my mum got me an hpi rush evo for christmas to take my mind off things.A week after christmas i went and bought myself a savage 21.Since then i have had(and still have)alot of nitro cars but couldnt resist a savage xl when they came out.Believe it or not it sat on the side for nearly a year without even starting it:Crazy:!!I finaly got to run it when i took it on holiday back in september and glad i did as i love it.

I always wanted a real R/C(non walmart/radioshack), went into LHS and finally decided to buy one;
one guys said get the Revo 3.3/ another said TMaxx 3.3/ and then we saw the Savage 4.6 box.
Worker said for any kind of jumping go Savage, racing go Revo, parts beginner go TMaxx.

Pulled the Savy out of the box and compared it to the display Revo/Maxx.

Big seller for me was the bigger engine, overall size and durability.

short story sort of...here goes

I was visiting my dad in the Austin, TX area and he ran across a HPI Shop, first one was a RS4 he bought me for a Christmas present when I was 15-16 yrs old, played with it quite a bit and then sold it off to a guy for a full exhaust system on my mustang when I was 17.

I hadn't touched the hobby again until now. I got a random email about a nitro r/c website and remembered how fun it was back then (I'm 22 now) and bought a Jato 3.3 2-3 weeks ago, realized a jato really wasn't for me being where I live (lots of open fields with grass) and sold it and purchased a Savage X 4.6 about a week ago and have been having a blast ever since then.

I hope to get a skid plate, big bore shocks & maybe a new Picco Drag Modified motor by Pure in the future sometime.

first off welcome to the forum trevor!! secondly the list of parts for the future you have is the right way to go especially the skid plate as it offers protection to the drivetrain and also supports the TVP'S "frame" a bit to help keep it from flexing as much ,should check out the rpm skid plate,its almost bullet proof and is very light,I'm using one and love it!! and add a wheelie bar to your list if you grab a engine that was modded by robin as the front wheels wont stay down much lol

Last edited by a moderator:
I did the nitro plane[Cox] on a string thing way back in the '70s but then got heavily into 1:1 cars,girls,etc....then came a wife and two children[now 31 and 29 ]then a divorce and way too much time on my hands,you can guess the rest.

Now I have 2 -Traxxas Hawks,a modded Bullet,2- Hawk 2s,an E-Maxx,2- Pro 15 T-Maxx,a Tamiya Sand Scorcher[wife's],a Midnight Pumpkin[in a box in pieces,again]and a Super Clod[crawler project],a real nice Kyosho Optima,a Mammoth ST and last but not least my Savage 21.
Not to mention all my old Radio Shack[digital] trucks and buggies, that my daughter[8 yrs] and her friends get to bash around.

Yes,I'm hooked,so much so that I haven't touched one of my 300+ scale model kits in like 3 years and my six road race sets haven't been out of their boxes in over five years. So many toys, so little time. lol!!!!

P.S.
Darned near forgot to explain how I got the Savage. Went to visit the gang at my favorite LHS and the Savage was sitting there for sale[used] had a look but it seemed kinda pricey. A short time later the owner showed up and we started talking,he kept dropping the price until he hit $100.00,so I had to buy just to see how it worked. With a two month old Mach 427 on it,I have to say it is the fastest RC I have driven to date,but it is so badly wounded that I tore the truck down for a major overhaul.Now I'm lookin for a parts unit.

Last edited by a moderator:
For me I used to race electric like 12 years ago and I took along time off then I moved out to Arizona meet a guy that had a Tmaxx and I said to my self I want to get back into it. Did some research...alot on this forum...and I ended up going down to my LHS and getting the savage x and since then its been a blast.

i just noticed mx that this was one of your first posts here, "well third" to be exact so i thought i would take the time to welcome you to the forum,glad to have you here!!!!

Latest posts

Members online

Back