HIRISK's Hyper 21 OFNA Tanked Savage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HIRISK

Hi Guys,

I was tralling through my PC today and found some photos of the last Savage I owned and did a full strip down and rebuild on.

It is a Savage 21 and was very run down and dirty when I bought it off Ebay. I did a complete strip down and clean. I replaced all damaged parts and then proceeded to customise it a bit.

These photos were taken just after the build was finished, so it is nice and clean.

It actually hauled!! The Hyper 21, Tuned Pipe and Big Wheels really made this thing scream, and it certainly sounded tuff!!

The OFNA tank mod worked really well and certainly was a much better solution than having the OLD Savage 21 style fuel tank on board.

Here is a specs list:

ENGINE:
OFNA Hyper 21 8 Port
HPI Header
HPI Tuned Pipe
Mugen MBX-5 Airfilter on custom neck
HPI throttle return spring
Golden Horizons fuel filter

DIFFS:
HPI 4 spider gear diff upgrade (front and rear)
OFNA 9.5 differential gaskets
HPI black o-rings
Traxxas 12mm hex head machine thread screws
Trinity race bearing oil on all bearings
HPI HD dog bones front and rear

STEERING/THROTTLE/BRAKES:
Hitech digital 5645S hi-torque (168oz) steering servo
Futaba 3003 Throttle/brake servo
HPI Cam style steering upgrade
OFNA throttle/brake linkage mod

FUEL TANK:
OFNA Hyper7 Pro fuel tank
Custom alloy mounting plate
Custome alloy tank posts
CY 90 degree alloy fuel nipple

RADIO GEAR:
Traxxas TQ2 2 channel AM radio
Traxxas receiver
Venom 1100mah NiMH hump pack
On/off switch with charge jack

BODY and WHEELS:
Pro-Line Cadalac Escalade SUV
AE MGT Wheels and Tyres painted black

Savage1.jpg

Savage10.jpg

Savage11.jpg

Savage2.jpg

Savage3.jpg

Savage4.jpg

Savage5.jpg

Savage6.jpg

Savage7.jpg

Savage8.jpg

Savage9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like a fun rig! I also like the background in pictures 1 and 4 :cool:

Let me see what I can dig up.

Basically, what I did is made the base plate from a sheet of 2mm alloy as alloy is nice and easy to cut and bend.

I cut it to a size that was similar in shape to the base of the tank, but ensure it was a little longer at each end to allow the mounting posts to be screwed on.

I also left a tab off one side which I then folded at a 90 degree angle. This is what I then used to mount the base plate direct to the TVP's.

I then used some hollow pieces of alloy tube and ran a long bolt through them. You can see the bolt goes through the tank mount, then through the alloy tube, then through the base plate where it is then secured by a nut and threadlock.

The fuel tube outlet on the back of the tank exits straight out on the stock OFNA tank, so I bought a packet of fuel nipples and replaced the stock one with a 90 degree angle.

This allowed me to have the fuel tube head straight towards the carb with minimal bends.

Hope that helps.

I also like the background in pictures 1 and 4 :cool:

ya know...it's funny, but I had a hard time finding the truck in those particular pics myself...

but aside from those pictures, sweet looking work!!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back