highspeed wheel shimy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geronimo

ROLL TIDE
hey, i had my xl out a few weeks ago, and i noticed i had alot of wheel shimy at high speeds, so i stripped the frontend, checked the bearings, all connections,,, nothing out of the ordnary, even checked the servo connection.. any ideas??????

yea, that maybe the problem,but i'm running 40s moab on axial beadlocks.even wrapped the inside of the moab with ducttape. btw not a good setup, way heavy. no traction.

Last edited by a moderator:
Possible balance issue?

I've been contemplating making or purchasing a wheel balancer for a while just to make everything that much smoother.

A bud of mine started balancing his, and it make a huge difference on how the truck handles. I have yet to take mine to his house to do them.

This may be different but mine gets a little side to side shimmy going when I'm going down the road at high speed and let off and coast. I think it's due to the turnbuckles in the back having a little play to them. The ball links on the ends of the turnbuckles get stretched out and allow more wiggle. Tie rod eliminators would probably get rid of the swaying in my case, yours may be different.

just a shimmy or unload? are you running open diffs?

vummm,straight over my head fred,plz explain upload, and open diffs...and as far as shimy. its just a real violent, L-R action at top end. and its not a wheel whobble or wheel hop associated with balance issues. i've checked every thing, double, even triple. my diffs are shimmed, so the nice and snug. i'm kind of to the point, of thinking maybe its a tire tread issue,even with the tires reinforced with duct-tape, they still want to ballon at topend,leaving a very small contact area for the tire,hmmm...i maybe on to something.

Did you check the ball links on the turnbuckles for play? Simple fix that happens to me quite frequently, they stretch pretty easily.

just a shimmy or unload? are you running open diffs?

vummm,straight over my head fred,plz explain upload, and open diffs...and as far as shimy. its just a real violent, L-R action at top end. and its not a wheel whobble or wheel hop associated with balance issues. .

When you get your savage rtr, it has a little bit of grease in the diff, no diff oil (open diff) which will send most of the power to one of the wheels on the axle. when it "unloads," you get so much power to one wheel that it can balloon, shake, etc.

You can add silicone diff oil and tune your diffs. For example, i put 10,000 wgt diff oil in my nitro diffs. it evens out the power distribution to both wheels on the axle instead of just to one.

I'm puttin 50k in my flux diffs.

hope this makes sense.

Members online

No members online now.
Back