Hex/Allen hardware?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sinisterRC

So I'm doing a complete rebuild of the savage and want to go with hex/allen screws. I have used the search and cannot find a store that offers them as a kit. I did see them individually on A-Main hobbies' website. Does anyone know where I could get a set? Thanks.

piccogirl <-------- anxiously awaiting your response!

You might take a look at http://www.hexcrews.com I used one of their savage kits last year and they are pretty good.

That looks like a nice set, thanks.

I am in the final stages of my project (took over 1.5 years!) and want it to be perfect. This will add the icing. One more question though, I was looking at the TC cars and have noticed that under the allen screws some guys have washers usually in blue/red etc.. Where could I get those and what sizes would work?

I'm still using my Natedog's screw kit I bought back in the day on Savage Central. If he is still a member there he sells a killer custom kit with lots of spares. Just tell him what you have on your truck and he makes sure you have all the hardware you will ever need for that truck. The button head screws look really nice and clean too as they have smaller heads then most.

I got 2 SMF screw kits. Awesome kit, always heard great things from natedogs kit too. I just googled SMF store but nothing came up. Is there a new site or did they go out of business?

ya the smf screw kit was great. wish i woulda bought spares. maybe this winter ill go into the screw business. lol

Question about thread types... So If I want to order a 3X10mm screw how do I know the thread type??

Well there is metric, standard and plastic. If your screws dimensions are measured in MM its going to have metric threads. HPI uses metric stuff so its easiest to just buy them. The metric threads can also be screwed into plastic parts so you only use one thread type for the entire truck if you want.

Thanks for the reply oregonmud. But there are screws in the truck that are the same dimension yet their thread pattern is different. Some have very close threads while others have the threads spread???

Well there is metric, standard and plastic.

Just like I said there are 3 kinds of threads.

2 have fine threads and are intended for use with nuts either standard or metric. The 3rd type of thread (found on the Savage too) is a course plastic thread.

I do away with all the plastic screws and just buy metric threads. These can even be used in the plastic parts as they will just cut threads in the plastic when you screw them in. I have been doing it like this for years and the only down side is it takes more turns of your wrench to get the screw in/out of your truck.

I hope I cleared it up for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys for all the replies. Oregunmud your explanation cleared it up, wow I feel like a moron! :Mr.confused:

Latest posts

Members online

Back