Here is my stand...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTDpower

I started off with these tools:

-Cordless drill w/ 1/2" spade bit
-Dremel tool w/ cut off wheel, drum sander, and roto zip bit
-Pipe cutter (for copper, these don't work the greatest for PVC, a miter saw would be better)
-Small ruler
-Sharpie marker
-Sanding block
-Sand paper (150 grit)
-PVC glue
-and of course.... Safety Glasses (hot melted plastic in your eye sucks)

SSPX0249.jpg

STAND:

12 x 1/2" slip TEE
6 x 1/2" slip Cap
2 x 1/2" 90* slip Elbow
1 x 1/2" slip/thread TEE

1/2" schedule 40 PVC cut into these lengths:

12 x 1-1/4"
4 x 3-3/4"
2 x 4"
2 x 4-3/4" (for ext 4-1/4")
2 x 5"
2 x 10-3/8" for XL (for ext 9-7/8")

SSPX0235.jpg

Assembled (remember to use a good right angle to get all the fitting pointing the right direction. I used the backsplash of my kitchen counter, just lube it up with glue and push it into the corner so the fittings are perpendicular to one another, or push them flat on the counter to make sure they are parallel to one another):

SSPX0236.jpg

PARTS BOWL:

1 x Tupperware Container

1 x 1/2" threaded male Adapter
1 x 1/2" slip Cap

1/2" schedule 40 PVC pipe cut into these lengths:

1 x 1-1/4"

SSPX0239.jpg

Cut the top off, and cut a hole in the center for the PVC pipe:

SSPX0240.jpg

Assembled:

SSPX0241.jpg

SHOCK STAND:

1 x Tupperware Lid

1 x 1/2" threaded male Adapter
1 x 1/2" slip Cap
1 x 1/2" slip Coupler

1/2" schedule 40 PVC pipe cut into these lengths:

1 x 1-1/4"
1 x 5"

SSPX0243.jpg

Cut your shape and drill 1/2" holes for standard shocks (not BB) and cut a hole for the PVC pipe:

SSPX0245.jpg

Assembled:

SSPX0246.jpg

PAINTING

Now that all the assemblies are built, next step is painting. Tape off all the important stuff and spray away.

I used some spray on bed liner for a durable long lasting finish. I had some left over from when I made some rear foot pegs for the four-wheeler, and decided to use it up.

SSPX0238.jpg

Make sure to work in a well ventilated area, like your kitchen floor (man I was feeling good, haha).

SSPX0250.jpg

ALL DONE

All done, here it is.

SSPX0253.jpg

SSPX0255.jpg

Check out that sweet finish.

SSPX0254.jpg

Add some 3/4" pipe insulation (3/4" means for copper thin wall, it will work for your 1/2" schedule 40).

SSPX0256.jpg

Now all it needs is your truck :)

SSPX0262.jpg

SSPX0261.jpg

SSPX0263.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My next attachment for the front is going to be maybe some type of stand to hold a wheel and tire while you glue it.

I also plan on using sticky-back magnet strip on the under side of the bottom of the parts bowl. Maybe just 2 or 3 little squares, so your parts will be held in little clumps in the bottom of the bowl, to keep them seperated.

Nice work! I like the parts tray and shock stand, pretty cool idea. I'm digging the paint too!

I've always used the magnetic parts trays, just in case I knock anything over :)

Man thats pretty awsome looking stand right there bud.. Thanks for sharing!!
:resp:

Very nice work, I like how you spelled it all out so every 1 can see what it takes to make something similar. Allow me to be the first to thank you. Think I will have a new stand soon.

Dang, if enough people (or anybody for that matter) want one then I'll bust out my miter saw and do it the right way. I can ship them pretty easy as a kit. At most it would be is $10 for shipping (flat rate), but most likely less.

Just tell me the length TVPs you have and I could ship it with all the fittings, all the pieces of pipe cut to length, all the pipe insulation cut to length, bottle of pvc cement, and instructions. I would ship the four main vertical legs pre glued together, so that all the tees are perfectly square and pointing the right direction. All you woud need to do is glue the rest together and paint (optional), no tools needed. We could do options for the front too.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you don't want to paint, I could ship you ABS plastic pipe (which is naturally black). I would send clear cement (glue) and a cleaner (this will strip the lettering off of the pipe), then it would all be black with no paint. Just glue it up like normal and then wipe it with the cleaner. It would cost more (more than black paint), but it would last forever and not chip or scratch.

I have a standard 4.6 X, how much for all balck and i put it together? shipping to 33014. I will ask my buddies to see if they are interested.

Actually I could go one step further probably (for shipping purposes). All you would need to glue is the 6 areas that I circled in red. Everything else I would glue prior to shipping. There would be no possible way to screw up, unless you wanted the threaded tee on the front for the attachments, you would need to ake sure you had it rotate and pointing perfectly vertical.

I can strip the ABS too, if anybody wants to go that route... so it would be the same thing, 6 spots to glue, no painting.

example.jpg

I'm gonna go to Lowes real quick while I'm out so I can price the ABS material. I'll put the prices together and send out PMs this evening.

Welp, I lied I can;t get 1/2" ABS here... so all I can do is white sch 40 pvc.

Hey Hypnotiq, do you have smaller ABS that 1-1/2" ?? I thought for sure I have seen it (though I have only used 1.5" and bigger).

I know their is a thread for this somewhere (show your stand or something?), but I coud find it, I thought it was a sticky in one of the sections.

Welp, I lied I can;t get 1/2" ABS here... so all I can do is white sch 40 pvc.

Hey Hypnotiq, do you have smaller ABS that 1-1/2" ?? I thought for sure I have seen it (though I have only used 1.5" and bigger).

I know their is a thread for this somewhere (show your stand or something?), but I coud find it, I thought it was a sticky in one of the sections.

abs is not used anymore.. cellcore pipe is cheaper. Look into CPVC tubing.. cheaper and easier to work with.. thats what mines made out of.

The thread you are looking for us one I made called. Show off your stand. I can't link it from my phone. Just look it up under threads in my name. It shows a lot of stands ppl in here made. Yours is a nice one for sure.

CPVC is like a yellow/white though... I was after the ABS cause it is black through and through.

What do you mean not used???? Why, I used some 2" and 4" just a few months back for a potato launcher, hahaha :)

The cell core is cheaper, but dang, you can't get much cheaper than $1.12 for a 9ft stick of regular sch40 PVC. Not much room to save, haha. You COULD use the sch80 grey plastic conduit, but they don't make the right type of fitings. they only make 90's and Tee's that have access covers or whatever for electrical. I guess you could use regular white pvc and use the cleaner to strip off all the printing and just have a plain white stand... but I like my black one I think.

I could make these things just snap together out of the box, using those snap/slip(or thread) TEE's. Hypnotiq probably knows what I'm talking about.

WOW - some very cool ideas added to the traditional PVC stand! I really like the parts tray idea - I am going to have to borrow that one! And the undercoating was a HUGE DUH especially since I have 6-8 cans of it in my garage for my Mustang project :)

I started working on a different layout for my workstand. Admittedly, the design is rough, just making a proof of concept with stuf I had lying around before I go finding better materials for the final edition...

So here's what I did. I took a "normal" PVC stand and instead of using T's on the ends and making it possible to hold TVP's, I just added a piece of plywood on the top:

%5BUNSET%5D.jpg

I then added a Levelock swivel - they are not cheap ($50) but they allow you to mount a ball-mounted swivel, so I did :)

Then I added a piece of wood to the top and put PVC on the sides to hold the TVP's - I am working on a new design that will have extendable braces to hold X, FLM, and XL TVP's with one set, but need some free time at the parts store :). Also, the final design, I think, will have small metal tabs dipped in Plasitcote that will set into the bottom of the chassis to hold it a little tighter as well.

%5BUNSET%5D.jpg

I have been using the prototype and I am surprised how well it actually works!

%5BUNSET%5D.jpg

I found an old floor fan in the back corner of the basement, and I am working on making the swivel mount also attach to the fan stand...

%5BUNSET%5D.jpg

Instead of a plastic pan for parts like you have on your design for the desktop stand, I was planning on picking up a cheap pizza pan at the grocery store, drilling a hole in the middle of the pan, sliding it over the center post, and making it a permanent attachment (got tha idea from Drummer - gotta give credit where credit is due!)

The final trick is going to be able to make the unit small enough to be useful, but big enough so I can use it for my Savage and my Baja just by swapping out the top plates :)

Bob

I like the swivel idea!

Like hypnotiq mentioned though... these stands aren't really all that usable. I only used a stand to store the truck off the ground, break in an engine, engine tuning (kinda), set my servos up (end points, exp, etc), make/measure toe and camber adjustments, and to measure hte truck for custom parts I was making.

For that I think just a plain simple as possible stand is good.

Like this :) .....

streamline001.jpg

Wow, that freakin photobucket really screws up pictures. I know my scanner did a better job than that.

I am working with a company that is supposedly able to get me black red orange yellow and blue PVC and fittings (we'll see). If they can, then it would be your choice in color, no painting needed. Then I can use the snap Tee's and there will be no glue neeeded either. Just pull it out of the box snap the three center tubes onto the sides and start using it. The pipe insulation will also already be on there.

The swivel is a nice feature! Make getting to some things alot easier.

I saw some for sale somewhere before, but I want to say that they were almost $100

Latest posts

Members online

Back