help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monster-xl

My savage XL won't shift gears. Not sure were to begin looking. I have been told clutch and also to adjust carb and transmission. This is my first nitro rc so any advice is appreciated.

is it new or used? and welcome to the forum my friend.. everyone here is willing to help so your in the right place for your savage questions...................

It was slightly used I ran 4 tanks of fuel. Got it stuck tried to throttle it out and when I did it wouldn't shift. Engine ran strong till I messed with idol now it bogs.

might have spun the spur gear and the pad on the back might be slipping now .. check the spring in front of the spur gear n tighten it down ... if it is tight it might need a better tune on it .. you said it bogs down after adjusting the idle... you sure it was the idle screw? not the high speed needle you adjusted? your first nitro .. might be getting the needles wrong ... and welcome to the forum.... have any pictures of the truck?

Not sure I was not given a manual. I am putting trust in all of you to guide me in the right direction.

we will get you taken care of,,,, the idle screw is small black one twords the bottom of the carb.. the high speed needle is the one the fuel line goes into.. the low speed needle is the one thats on the slide on the carb.. hope this helps .. bogging typically is from being to ritch.. cutting out or stalling is to lean.. high revs after letting off the throttle for a few seconds is to lean ... these are just some guidlines to get you used to what to watch for i can get more detailed into it as we go if needed.. this is a start
hope it helps you out a bit .

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to all the advice changed clutch shoes and bell housing. Did a little adjustments on carb and she is running like a champ.

here is a pic. You were also correct about spur gear as well. however the guy who had the truck before me put clutch in backwards. All good now though. I am glad I found this forum. I think it may still needed tuned a little more.

here is a pic. You were also right about spur gear it was toasted melted pad. The major problem was the clutch shoes were backwards. The previous owner apparently didn't know what he was doing. Glad I joined you guys helped a lot. still needs to be tuned alittle bit more but is ready to rip. woohoo

it will need tuned every time you take it out ... nothing drastically just fine tuning depending on the temps outside.. just learn to listen to the engine and know what the sounds its making is telling you then its easy .. high revs after letting off = to lean turn hsn out slightly.. bogging at full throttle =to ritch turn hsn in slightly .. thats just the basics ... fast refferences for in the field ..

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back