Help with shift point screw

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrgrimm

I bought a used X4.6 and have it getting close to tuned well enough to shift in my opinion, but will not go to 2nd. I noticed the adj. screw in the tranny was all the way tight so I backed it out but it instantly gets loose and stays very loose even when turned out several rotations.

I was afraid to run the truck like that, thinking that screw would come out and destroy the trans. I remember in the past on another Savage I had that the screw had some kind of resistance or spring pressure to keep it where you set it, but this one is just plain loose. Any ideas?

First off, welcome to the forum!!

Are you sure you were adjusting the set screw? The mounting screw for the clutch and the set screw are right next each other. The mounting screw is inline with the shaft, the set screw is offset a bit.

The set screw should have some tension on it, if it doesn't then you might have an issue with the clutch.

Welcome.
1) are you sure your adjusting 2nd, you have to pull the gear assemblies out of the transmission and pull it apart to adjust 2nd.

this it the screw you adjust to adjust it.

and finally, it should have 2 set srews in the adjustment hole pull the first one completely out, it's a locking screw.. The one you need us underneath it.

Last be sure to use loctite

Reactions: X
Thanks for the help, glad I found this place. Yep two screws was the trick, I should have used a flashlight the first time! I removed the first, turned counterclockwise 1/2 turn on the screw under it, re-installed the lock screw with loctite, and hopefully later I get a chance to run it and see what happens.

I did this through the hole in the side, why do you say that the gear must be removed to adjust this, something I am missing here?

Reactions: X
Btw Joe, good call on the second screw. Been so long that I had forgotten about that.

If I adjust (loosen) top screw instead of second should I tighten it completely tight ? Think I might have loosened wrong set screw!
The top screw is the one that locks the clutch on to the shaft so if you loosened this one by mistake then yes you must lock this set screw back down. As has been said by people in pervious posts, the adjust screw for the 2nd gear is the lower one out of the two.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back