Help still needed!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adrian411

Hello again and thanks to all who helped with my earlier problems!
Now I can get my Savage X started and the engine seems to run ok but when I switch the receiver on the engine cuts out instantly.
This is because the throttle servo horn does not go into the neutral position but closes the carburettor chamber completely.
I have also noted that the throttle trim adjuster has almost zero effect and that the braking mech doesn't seem to be working!!!
Do I need a new throttle servo or a new transmitter??...Or both??? Or can I solve this with some adjustment?
PLEASE HELP!!!
As a bit of background: I was given this used Savage X (4.1) as a gift and really want to get the thing running...Unfortunately it has been frustrating, time consuming and costly experience so far. I've changed the uni directional bearing for the rotostart, bought a new charger and battery for the rotostart, a new glow plug igniter and charger etc. etc....and spent about 10 man hours tinkering with the car...I know these things are temperamental but my patience is wearing very thin!!!!
Thanks to all for looking at this.
Adrian

When I bought my Savage 4.1 used, it did something similar. Here's what I did:

You may need to remove the servo arm, then turn on the power to the transmitter, then the receiver. When you do that you may see the servo center itself. Then turn of all the power and then carefully re-install the servo arm without the linkage connected to the carb. This ensure's your servo is in a neutral position when turning on the power. Once you get the servo and the arm set right, you can then adjust the linkage to reach te carb perfectly and ten fine tune it to fully open.

A far as closing the carb fully when the power is turned on, you may be missing the idle screw that prevents the carb from sliding all the way closed. When adjusted properly, you should have about 1mm gap in the carb for idling.

Hope this helps...

ALWAYS, turn on your Tx before you start the truck. Truck takes off without the Tx on & you have no control over it. Additionally, ive always needed to pull the trigger to open the carb a bit while pulling the cord to get the mill to start.

First things first, start with the simplest things and work your way forward from there.

Turn on your Tx and try adjusting the linkage with the trim knob and see if that puts your linkage into a position that is neutral.

start with that and report back.

ya i wouldnt advise starting your truck with the tx off man,you have obviously been lucky so far lol and even on my savage x with the 4.1 i had to turn up the throttle trim a bit when starting then after it started i put it back to the "neutral" position or straight up so try the things mentioned above and let us know from there.....

ALWAYS, turn on your Tx before you start the truck. Truck takes off without the Tx on & you have no control over it. Additionally, ive always needed to pull the trigger to open the carb a bit while pulling the cord to get the mill to start.

First things first, start with the simplest things and work your way forward from there.

Turn on your Tx and try adjusting the linkage with the trim knob and see if that puts your linkage into a position that is neutral.

start with that and report back.

yep yep yep!!!!!!! totally agreeee ... try the knobs first and always turn the tx first ..

Thanks again for all the almost instant help!
I fully agree with all on having the TX on to start the truck but my 11 year old son left the thing on and ran the batteries down. I started the truck on my work bench blocked so it could go nowhere (although this probably wasn't great for the clutch)
As I said, I've tried tuning the throttle with the control knob on the transmitter but this had virtually no effect. What I've done now is more or less what JKNLHYDE suggests which was to remove the "ear" off the toothed wheel on the servo and simply put it back on in more or less the desired neutral position. The throttle adjustment on the transmitter seems to work far better now. Unfortunately the inlaws came over for lunch (grrrrrrrr!!!!) and didn't have time to try to start the truck.
I'll let everybody know how things go when I try the truck again. I really do want to get this thing running!

let us know if that fixes the problem. if it doesnt, then the next step is to shoot some pics and we'll get you straightened out.

sounds like ur carb gab is not there so the air to fuel mixture is not correct and also its the one on the odd angle i can do a vid on it iff u need it

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back