help sealing engine

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbd

hey guys took my savage x 4.6 nitro engine apart for the first time to seal and this little pin fell out of the back plate but i cant see where it came from. help

Attachments

• 20190207_182906.jpg
    20190207_182906.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 20190207_183045.jpg
    20190207_183045.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 9
  • 20190207_182733 (1).jpg
    20190207_182733 (1).jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 6
came out of the hole in the crankshaft, make sure you didn't lose the spring inside also, I dab of grease will keep it in during reassembly also....

thanks but new to stripping the engine down that far .do i have to take crankshaft out to put it in ? because when i look in engine at crankshaft i cant see where this pin belongs.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-4-6-SA...FirstClass!95422!US!-1:rk:1??1&frcectupt=true

see that pin and spring in the 2nd pic in the ad? see the crankpin where the big end of the rod will go?? the spring goes in the hole and the pin follows, they are needed to make the spin/pullstart engage the crankshaft, a bit of grease will keep them both in place when you reassemble your engine......

am i right by saying the spring and pin go into the lower end of piston rod and connects to the crank shaft , when i took a closer look at that area a i do see a spring in there.. sorry but new to this i have sealed an engine years ago but never went into engine this far . just getting back in hobby after 15 years...6267

Yes, it goes here:
2019-0209-SavageStarterPinLocation.jpg

Another question, should I seal carb pinch bolt , the engine came with it installed, should I remove it ? I saw videos where pinch bolt was sealed but engines all came with pinch bolt not in engine.

Some say it isn't necessary to add anything extra to seal the engines. I do it though with every engine I buy, new or old. I tear it down, clean it out with DA and q-tips, oil the bearings/con-rod/piston with ARO and seal the backplate, carb neck, cinch bolt and HSN banjo fitting with RTV.

Every new engine I have ever bought has had aluminum filings in it. Cheap $100 engines (xtm/sh 24.7/.28) up to more expensive $300 engines (os 21tm). They all have something in them that I clean out with DA and q-tips. It would probably be fine and just gum up the plug, but I clean them all out just the same.

A thread for it:
https://www.hpisavageforum.com/threads/nitro-engine-sealing.15150/

ok thanks again olds . now i got done sealing engine and noticed after everythig was put back on engine when i try to crank engine by hand while engine is out of truck turning the spur gear it will only rotate 180 degrees or half the way and will not budge any further i can turn spur gear back 180 degrees again to starting point but will not rotate 360 degrees in either direction is this normal ?

Hm... how far apart did you take it? Did you take the piston/con-rod out? Those only go in one way. The side skirt of the piston usually has a cut out for the crank or back plate and if it's backwards, it will hit and not turn over.

Possibly the starter pin fell out and is jamming the crank or piston.....

Thanks I guess I'll take back plate off again and check any tips on getting sealant off of backplate besides scraping off ?

should be able to remove all the sealant with some light scraping, one thing to keep in mind is to lay a bead of sealant and let it set up overnight before assembling the engine, that way you will get a good seal and it does make it a bit easier to remove also..... did you read and follow the thread on sealing your engine??

Did you have the glow plug in when you were trying to turn it over? What were you using to try to turn it over? Your hand on the flywheel? If it was well lubed, could just be compression your feeling. Removing the glow plug would help release the compression and make it easier to turn over by hand.

Thanks Jam but in the seal thread it does not say to let it set up overnight b4 putting back together maybe it's your knowledge and expeirence from sealing so many engines u found this to be better.. If that's the case i will let it set up. Thanks

Olds u right as usual I removed glow plug and bam it turned right over by hand turning flywheel..Thanks I want looking forward to pulling it apart again ,I hate doing things twice ,2 marrages ect.lol

does anyone seal the muffler to engine i thought i read something on that but cant find thread now/i

Thanks Jam but in the seal thread it does not say to let it set up overnight b4 putting back together maybe it's your knowledge and expeirence from sealing so many engines u found this to be better.. If that's the case i will let it set up. Thanks
If I remember right, @Rolex used to do that as well. I don't. If I was missing the back plate o-ring, then I might try that, but if my o-rings are intact, I just use the silicone as a extra seal vs a compression gasket. Probably doesn't hurt anything either way.

I have done that with diffs though when I ripped a gasket up and didn't have another.

Thanks olds and jam and I sealed 2 new X 4.6 engines and neither had an O ring on the backplate.

And you guys are right I found a worm when took carb off...it was in the shaft where carb connects to engine prob about 3/16th s long.

Latest posts

Members online

Back