HElp ! Rebuild pull start on X4.6 ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vintage tone

Hey everyone , sounds like fun hehe NOT
Anyone ever tackled with a snapped spring in the pull start ?
Help ! hehehehe Ty in advance

You have to wind up the spring than hold it with vice grips tread a new string tie it off release the vice grip and the cord will wind in. If you don't have a cord you can use the cord from a mini blind.

Any tricks to wind the damn spring ? Heheheehe ! thats the painful part ! No it never started yet.
I didn t brake it ( yet ) it was like the spring wouldn t wind back anymore so i opened it up to rewind it
I mean any tricks without the vice grips . none here : (

Last edited by a moderator:
Well look on the bright side than you will be really good at thumb wrestling. Lol.

If you did not break the string you can wind it up out of the case then put it in wound that is really hard though

I got the spring back in .. nightmare that is but if you remove the string on the handle side, it s a lot easier, then re attach it after you re done , when the spring is almots wound .
I m thinking there might be another issue.
When cranking the motor by hand, it s tightening and untightening the string of the pull start. is that normal ? isn t there supposed to have a one way bearing somewhere in there :p
I know i m a savage noob :)

mmmm the issue might be more serious, so much compression when the spark plug is in , the pull start spring isn t strong enough to wind it back up ...
how hard should a 4.6 be to crank by hand ?
I Guess i m going to have to take it apart ....
It s easy to crank by hand when no spark pliug s in , smooth and no extra hard point or anything but with the spark plug in , it s hard as hell ... is that normal ?
doctor ? :p
Maybe the spring is toasted and not strong enough anymore, i wound it as tight as i could .
Is there a better system than the pull start you d recommend ?

Last edited by a moderator:
sounds like the owb..one way bearing is sticking... the spring should recoil freely..you can take the owb out and clean it real good see if its messed up or any thing .. use rubbing alcholhol or carb/brake cleaner.. there is roto starts that go on the engine but youll need the whole set up... starter and bat pack and a chager ... plus the back plate and roto its self..imo the pull starts are the best way to go... can carry a glow ignitor in your pocket if it stalls rather than haveing to tote around all the crap that goes with the electric roto starts ...good luck happy bashn..

Ty maximus you rock :)
Ok i got the owb and it was stuck , cleaning it up as we speak ... that truck motor wasn t taken care of well ( unlike what the guy who sold it said go figure :p )
The top of the piston is realy dirty from what i can see the inside looks fine . WD 40 cleaning time

Members online

No members online now.
Back