Help please, weird problem today

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShiftPoint

Hi,

I took my truck u for a test run after installing nova shoes,, neww fuel line, and cleaning up my Buku and installing a 1 peice header.

I have a stock K4.6 and have never had any problems with it, today after doing the work above on it I took it out and at first while getting up to temp maybe 160 or so it bogged down for a second, then it was running like a bat out of h311, running better than ever. Oh I also recently adjusted my 1-2 shift point, not 100% sure it is correct. but after about 1/2 tank it bogged and died on me, I restarted it , and it started easy, but when I took off it was going very slow, the motor was like bogging or running at low rpm's and a deep sound, as I was bringing it back toward me it oied again. at this point It is too dark so I came in and came to you guys for help

I haven't looked at anything yet, but the fuel line I might be suspecting, it is a bit smaller dia than the stock, don't know which to order, but I am not sure it is enough to cause what it did.

any ideas?

possible air getting in the lines, make sure everything is sealed up tight. Maybe something in the Buku is not functioning, take it apart and take a look. Thats all I got for the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
check, make sure you are not to lean.

Thanks for the suggestions, I am almost 100% sure it isn't too lean, I have a nomaido with a temp sensor and it never went hotter than 240. inless the new fuel line is not letting enough fuel through, but then it would have run hot, yes?

I will see hat I can find and let you guys know.

i would say glow plug shoes or fuel line. you want medium full line size. i run the nova shoes with the heavy weight at the pivot point on the fly wheel. did you use the washers? check cb bearings also

:pepsi: Sounds like an air leak somewhere If you just did that work the ends of the fuel line may be streatched .After I take a hose of more than a few times I snip a little piece off the end makeing it a bit more snug then I use a small zip tie.I get them at the auto parts for half the lhs.Any how since I began doing this it has run much more consistantly.Hope this may help

I didn't use any weights, and I did use the washers. I did have a problem with the mugen nut being too long so the screw on the end would put the pressure on the bearings causeing the cb to "stick" to the fly wheel. I took some of the length off the mugen with some sand paper till it spun freely but maybe not enough. it was working fine when i assembledit but it was close.

One thing I am really kind of worried about is, on the new fuel line I found a peice of something inside the line, dnnt know what it was but could have been a peice of the line itself, it was hard to see but I cut the line near that point and was able to get it out. I looked to make sure there was no more in there but it was just luck I saw the peice i did see. New fuel line and there was some kind of crap in it. hopefully there wasnt more.

what brand of fuel line do you use? I used the medium dubro but it is a bit smaller ID than the stock stuff.

this is my plan for now. I am going to put the old fuel line back on, ( will check for leaks first) and I might put the stock header back on, I had a really hard time getting the one peice header on, plus I had also lost one of the small spriings (one of the 3 small ones) so I made a new one out of a old spring (the one that holds the header on the mill) maybe it strong enough. plus it is just such a tight fit on that header, on the mill end and where the pipe and header meet, my hands are messed up so I cant push very hard. It doesnt sound like it is leaking but I just don't trust it.

If that doesnt help I will pull the cb off and check it out, maybe add weighs.

thanks for the help guys. I just ordered a nitrous injector from tower today and was hoping to not blow the mill up at least till it came :)

Well guys, I checked a couple things, I removed the pressure line from the tank and covered the stingers with my fingers and blew into the pipe through the line, it seems to be sealed up good, no leaks that I can tell. of course I cant blow as had as the motor can.

I also removed the line from the input to the carb and the pressure out from the pipe and drained the fuel from the tank, it seemed to flow through fine. and the tank seems to be no leaks either..

Oh and the glow plug looks good, shiney and a bit of oil on the bottom of the plug, still a bit dryer than usual i think so maybe it did stop getting fuel.

I think just to be sure I am going to put the old fulel line back on and give it a try, then I guess I will put the old header bach on, had such a hard time putting it on I hate to take it off...

I am kind of wondering about the shift point, if it is not shifting into second (I cant tell, well I could see it causing a problem when winding out, but then would it bog down and run slow when not winding out?? actually I ran it the way it is set the other day, it was we out but I didnt have any problems, so I guess thats not it.

I will keep you updated. This is my first real problem, boy it sucks

I took the truck out today after making some changes. I put the stock fuel line on and I put the stock header back on. I did get it running today but…

The first time I started it I primed it ok, the engine turned over easy, then when I started it it took like 5 seconds on the rotostart instead of the usual ½ second or less, and it died pretty quickly. After that I had a hard time turning over the motor, the rorostart would get stuck, I was afraid I messed the motor up but being that I hadn’t charged the rotorstart in a while I brought it in and let it charge. After it charged it turned over and started very quickly.

Next I noticed the motor sounded lean so I richened up by ¼ n the HSN, still sounded lean, all in all I richened it up almost a full turn from where I usually run it, still the motor got hot very quickly, I don’t have a temp gun due to me running it through the wash machine, so I had to go by the sensor on my nomadio radio, it alarmed pretty quickly and the reading was going crazy from 240 to 300 to 290 to 240 to 270 to 300 and back tk all different extremes between 240 and 300, it has never done this before, I have never alarmed it before so I don’t know what that means, or it was so hot it was past the ability of the sensor, it didn’t feel that hot holding my hand above the head but who knows.

Anyway I shut it down and noticed there was some smoke coming from where the header meats the motor, I think I stretched the spring out too much installing that one piece header (Tasis) the holes for the springs were diagonal so the spring had to reach further. I think that is why it was leaking, I think the one piece was probably doing the same because it was soooooo tight around the gasket where the header meats the motor it only went on about half way and was kind of crooked.

Anyway, I guess he leak was causing a lack of pressure on the fuel line so I will have to fix that and try again. The little I got to run it the motor was running strong of course it was lean… hopefully it comes out of this in one piece.

small diameter fuel lines will cause ur engine to lean out and die. Also make sure that the pressure line has the same inner diameter with the main fuel line so constant pressure will be supplied. The same problem happened to me. I just changed the fuel line and it is now working fine. :)

I found what was causing the leak. I tore the gasket between the header and the motor. It got messed up when installing the one way header. the tasis header came with 2 new gaskets, they are a bit thinner than the stock HPI gasket's so I guess I should have used it on the motor, tht may have caused it, then again that tasis header is just a pain to put on.

I will run it again tomarrow and let you know how it goes, I hope that was the only problem.

Hey, I had a Tsais on my savage, and can tell you that was your problem, trying to squeeze the header over the HPI Gasket. It is actually really easy to get the Tsais gaskets on, just dab your finger on the inside of the old header to get some leftover oil on it, and rub it on the exhaust port, and inside the gasket. Then, put the gasket in the header and push it all on as one piece. Works great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys,

SDmorris, I am just going to use the stock heade till I find a one peice I like, or maybe just stick with stock. that tasis is even hard to get on with its gasket, in fact I tried just to see with the stock header it is harder to get on with the tasis gasket.

I think all that is good now, ho[efiully that will take care of it, When I am sure I will try the new fuel line again.

Members online

Back