Help needed. Drive shaft problem.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Williams

So i tried my car out earlier on but the drive shaft popped out on the right front and left rear does anybody know why it popped out?!! I need to know so i can fix it and so it doesn't happen again. IMG_3045.JPGIMG_3042.JPG

Can anyone point me in the right direction on a part number basically its the Axel thing that is in the differential That broke please. This is the picture: IMG_3048.JPG

Last edited:
Also in your 2nd photo, the one of the front. Your skid plate is sitting a bit chocked as if the lower hinge pin has been pushed back forcing the plastic to distort downwards
1667933390782.png

I did notice that actually and tried to fix it its quite hard to push the pin back in place but thanks for pointing it out. Also Gaz, are you sure these Axels are the right size? Are they bigger as I'm looking for bigger as i don't want to have this problem again!! Thanks. https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/345268/

Has anyone had this problem with drive shafts popping out? If so anyone know how it is fixed? Thanks.

Maybe i could use twice the amount of O rings on the opposite side that it came out??

Both times the drive shafts came out of the diff shaft breaking the diff shafts.

I say putting limiters under the shock piston is going to be your best fix, that damage comes from the bone popping out of the cup when you are jumping and stunting, you can make or buy limiters in different length to get just right so you don't lose a bunch of suspension travel

I did notice that actually and tried to fix it its quite hard to push the pin back in place but thanks for pointing it out. Also Gaz, are you sure these Axels are the right size? Are they bigger as I'm looking for bigger as i don't want to have this problem again!! Thanks. https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/345268/
Both these axles will work Paul, they are both the same size and are the largest type for the savage, the ones without the thread are just the latest type and are designed purely to be used with 17mm wheel hex adaptors.
As for putting an O ring in both sides, I suppose you could but they are only meant to be in the diff end. What you have to watch is that this may not give the dog bone enough free play in the cups, the amount of free play changes as the suspension moves up and down. You want about 3mm play in the dogs when the truck is sitting under it's own weight.

I say putting limiters under the shock piston is going to be your best fix, that damage comes from the bone popping out of the cup when you are jumping and stunting, you can make or buy limiters in different length to get just right so you don't lose a bunch of suspension travel
Hey Jam do you have a link or part number so I know what I'm looking for please?

So you think I should go with these ones?

Super HD XL Axle 8x11x57mm (2pcs)​

BRAND: HPI

PART NUMBER: HPI-160137​

Thanks, if anything they extend too much is that what your on about? Under compression they are ok but thanks for the advice my friend :) :woot::woot:

first you have to know the diameter of your shock shafts, 3mm 4mm or whatever, you can find hard plastic spacers in assorted lengths at hardware stores and put them on the shaft under the shock piston then refill with oil as normal, you can also use fuel tubing cut to lengths. just make sure to use the same length on all 4 or 8 shocks, usually a few mm's will do the trick, yes it will require taking all the shocks down and refilling with your choice of oils, but it is actually pretty simple to get done

You sorted your dog bone/ diff cup issue out get mate. what Jam1 recommended about limiting the downward travel on the shocks is worth doing even it don't fix your issue. And like he says it's a pretty easy job to do. Now I hope you have downloaded the manual and exploded view diagram from HPI now. So you should be able to get a gist of the involved job. If you look at this post by Mvtepixels you will see where to put the spacer.
It's looking good(y) If you want to ride some jumps with it, one thing i really recommend is making a holder to support the back of the motor ... those 2200KV motors weight around 400g, and the only thing holding them in place are two m4 screws, a jump above your hip level is enough to make the chassis bottoming out and slap the floor, and when this happens the center diff mount and those screws go through a ton of forces and stress. 8x8mm aluminum bar it's what i'm using for that
Something like this:
View attachment 10063

I like the new V2 battery boxes, they look stronger than the old ones.

One thing you can do to avoid bending shock shafts so often is putting a spacer inside the shock, i have 15mm spacers inside mines, this will lower the car and make it handle a lot better.
View attachment 10065

The shock towers will start to bend with the time and even more with jumps, the tower to tower braces are a good help for that and also a good way to support the bodyshell when the truck rols over.

Latest posts

Members online

Back