Help me choose! Badlands, Bow Ties, or Dirt Bones? What wheels?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeK1981

ChondroManiac
Ok so I'm thinking about getting a new set of wheels and tires.I have several questions so bear with me here. I want something that offers more performance! Lighter/more traction than the Tremor/Goliath combo, and handles better than the Terra-pins I have. I was thinking about the ProLine Tech 5's with the 40 series Bowties, but are the Dirt Bones a lot lighter than the Bow Ties? I prefer a black wheel but they don't make the dish wheels in black. The other option is the Badlands on some dish wheels. Which 1/2" offset dish wheels will fit the badlands? Also I was wondering if anyone thought the Badlands might fit on the Tech 5's? They say they are a narrow 40 series:

Mounting Dia.:3.82" (97mm)Width:2.75" (70mm)Offset:-0.76" (19mm)Backspacing:2.14" (54mm)

Will the Badlands stretch around those? It seems like it might work.

Here are the other links:

http://prolineracing.com/wheels/tech-5-3.8-40-series-black-narrow-2.75-wide-zero-offset-17mm-wheels/

http://prolineracing.com/all-terrain/badlands-3.2-all-terrain-tires/

http://prolineracing.com/race/bow-tie-3.8-40-series-off-road-tires/

I'm not sure which dish wheels I should be looking at for the Badlands if I go that route. I was thinking theswe but they are not 1/2" offset:

http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/3151/

If they won't work someone point me to a good 1/2" offset wheel for the 3.2" Badlands please. Black ones, if you can find any.

heres a pic of my badlands mounted on ofna 1/2 offset dishes

flm2007.jpg

Ok so those are the LPR wheels right, the 3.7"? How do you like them? Think I'd get better traction from those or the wider 40 series BowTies? I run mostly in grass, and loose dirt/gravel. Some pavement but just for speed runs.

Mikies are not LRP. that is a different tire all together ... To start any rim can be black. Just take RIT clothing dye and 20 mins. Most of my rims were yellow and stuff caz Ill ebay them for 7 bucks for a set of 4. yellow is not a hot seller and like I said 20 mins and they are black so I take advantage of it.

you start by asking what is better then a few tires... of the ones listed ... anything!

What do you want to do with the tires? Badlands are good but suck in a few conditions. They do hold up on the road and the only reason I have a set..

low profile racing rims are for lrp tires only

badlands are sweet, i have the bowties, badlands, zombies, and bonz, and my pick would be the badlands personally. for what i run in they work great.

a wheel that i like is the jconcepts rulux 1/2 half ups which i think is the same lpr. they have a bigger diameter then standard wheels. i run my badlands on those you have to stretch them a bit but once mounted they had a real low profile and i also dyed mine black how bank said.

For bashing where we do its mostly hard pack. the badland don't shine in these conditions. Maybe its my overpowered thing but I blame the tire caz others do much better. loose stuff loom / gravel the badland shines. But the Mulcher will out do it every where but on the street ...

One more question, are SPI Racing wheels standard size, or 40 series? I don't see on their site where it specifies.

I'm diggin' the dirt bonz. they bite the surface.

Thanks guys. I liked the dirt bones a lot on my smaller truck but I thought they were kinda small looking for the XL. Some of those on some SPI's might be a good combo though! Anyone ever seen Badlands on SPI's?

Thanks guys. I liked the dirt bones a lot on my smaller truck but I thought they were kinda small looking for the XL. Some of those on some SPI's might be a good combo though! Anyone ever seen Badlands on SPI's?

I think Hypnotiq had his badlands on SPI wheels.

I think I'm gonna go with a setup like Mickey's this time. Badlands on those black OFNA 1/2" offset dish wheels. Thanks for the part # Mickey!

Just to update this thread, I ended up getting Proline Mulchers on the black OFNA dish wheels. They only had one pair of Badlands at the LHS I went to, and I have heard several of you guys say you like the Mulchers. I thought these were 1/2" offset wheels but they look more like full offset to me. The hex pretty much lines up with the inner bead of the rim. What ever they are I love the extra width they add to the truck. Just got home with my fuel so I'm gonna put in the 18/47 gearing and give this thing a run. Thanks for the part number on the wheels Mickey!

69Charger2.jpg

69Charger3.jpg

69Charger5.jpg

Monkey see; Monkey do, I might just get those tires just like you. :lmao4: I want to try them as well. I heard they are better on the loose dirt than the Bandlands. :dunno:

they are concidered a 1/2 offset but yes like you said they are closer to a 3/4 offset but they do make the trucks handle nicely

Latest posts

Members online

Back