help gearing my savage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a savage x.The first 6 months I beat the crap out of it till things broke then bought new pieces.Truck was never down for more than 3 days ever.When something broke I bought beter.Then for the next 6 months I put about 1500 into it.Then my last dose of money ,I bought a axial 28rr intergy air filter ,robison racing flywheel, racing clutches,vented flywheel,vented bell and bearings,H/D diff gears front and rear fresh 3 speed gears and 8" tires and Imex rims.But the truck is also streched 1/5 and has custom wheel extenders that widen the front 5" and 6" in the rear. The truck was idled 1 tank (really)then I went to trying creeping around in first gear.But had problems with keeping it running and even starting.Probally due to bad plug.I didnt have one so I put it up.Now I think I ready to start messing with it again.I want to get my gear ratio right first then Every piece I can titanium,shafts,gears,axles,bones,screw kit etc.and ceramic bearings.Other than that my truck probally already has it. So back to the question for what I'm running and how big I am what is the best spur and bell combo to go with?Thanks. My list of parts is way to long to list.

I have no experience with that size of savage, but I am sure someone will chime in and give you good recommendations. Just wanted to welcome you to the forum.

Is there people on here running oversized savages? I'm going to check what gearing I have now.It ran pretty good with stock tires.I think I need a lower gear ratio but don't know witch gear I should be trying to change.I bought the 3 speed so when I lower the gear ratio the 3 speed will still give me good top end.

This is what it looks like besides my shocks are differt.but they are painted the same.My gears are 50/18
31527230117_medium.jpg
31527230118_medium.jpg
31527230119_medium.jpg

Heres pic of my trunk,now I have differnt shocks but there painted the same.
31527230117_medium.jpg

31527230118_medium.jpg

31527230119_medium.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
nice looking truck rick i have the same kit and tires i run 13 52 gearing
How does your truck perform with that ratio?far as acceleration/top speed. Now that you've been running that setup would you run a differnt setup?Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
acceleration is great top speed is about 20 25 mph so not so good there . the problem i have is at that speed the tires want to RIP right off they get wobbly :( .so i have stayed with the 52 13 you can go almost anywhere with this combo hope this helps ya

Are you running a 2sp or a 3sp trans with the 20-25mph top end.And if I was wanting a little more top speed witch gear would I change?sorry for all the questions I just want all the info I can get from someone just like yourself,thats has a similar setup. Have you even thought about adding spray to boost top speed.

i have the 2 speed. for just a bit more speed id go to 15 or 16 on the clutch bell .no i have not used spray, speed is not the problem here its keeping those monster tires on lol they are ment for pulling and hill climbing not top speed

Latest posts

Members online

Back