Hellraiser's savspeed project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hellraiser1981

Hi all, my name is Pat
Altho I'm new to the forum I've had Savage's since the 21.
WOW, over the years I've learnt things the hard way what with breakages & modding & still to this day I don't know alot lol!
Anyhow, at the moment I have a X 4.6, XL 5.9 and my main toy the XL flux.
I've got to say it I love the flux to bits, which is why I'm wanting to build a high speed flux!
For this I'm going to break down the X 4.6, as it just sits in the shed looking sorry for it's self!
As everyone likes pic's hes a few

S8003250.jpg

S8003251.jpg

S8003252.jpg

S8003253.jpg

S8003254.jpg

S8003255.jpg

S8003256.jpg

As you can see I got the flux conversion kit, which I think is a good way to do the conversion & a cheap way.
I'll start by building a standard flux then testing the speed & I'll keep doing mods etc to it until I get pulled over by the police or I go back to the future
Thanks for looking & any feed back & help I'll take with thanks
Pat

nice hellraiser what was the going price on the conversion kit

Hi Mickey, I paid £130 for the conversion kit, not sure what that is in $ but I think its really cheap as in the UK the BP diff upgrade kit is £35 each.
So in the long run it's a big saving :smiliejam:

130 pounds is $199.42 CAD
35 pounds is $53.69 CAD

Great start Pat can't wait to see final project.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweet Pat!!! What are you gonna use to power this bad boi? (esc,motor,lipos)

Sweet Pat!!! What are you gonna use to power this bad boi? (esc,motor,lipos)

Hi Scott, to start off with I'm going to put the standard blur ESC & TORK 2200 motor in, do some testing then then put the TORK 2650 motor in.
I'm thinking start of standard test then up grade, plus I have spare standard ESC & motor in the shed.
As for LiPo's I'll be using 2x 3s not sure on the spec yet, again I'll be asking you guys what you think when the time come's.
Cheers Pat

yep I'm going to watch this thread as I'm interested in seeing it when its all finished!!!

hi pat, what do you mean by the "hi speed?" are you going to attempt running the 2 speed tranny or different gearing or higher voltage? :jamout:

hi pat, what do you mean by the "hi speed?" are you going to attempt running the 2 speed tranny or different gearing or higher voltage? :jamout:

I'll see how things turn out, I've ordered a few bits from the USA as for some reason I can't get them in the UK.

First off I'll try & keep things all Hpi then I'll go from there.
I've seen on YouTube a savage flux hitting just under 80mph, I'm not sure what setup he was using but from what I saw he was using a single speed tranny & the TORK 2200.

Now If I'm right in thinking (do tell me if I'm wrong) if I was to change all the gears in the tranny for HD/ light weight & go for the biggest Pinion/smallest spur gear & the TORK 2650 I should get over the 80mph mark?

I would really like all your thoughts & advice on this one!
This is going to be fun :smiliejam:
Pat

Back again with a small update for you, been sorting through my spares in the shed pulling out all the bits I've collected over the years.
I didn't think I had so much, keep it to you're self's but I think I've got a little problem (OCD) lol
I started with these

S8003265.jpg

S8003266.jpg

& ended up with this

S8003270.jpg

S8003271.jpg

Well pleased as I haven't started stripping the X 4.6 yet!

I've ordered some bits & some of it turned up to day

S8003278.jpg

Diff oil set, shock oil (30 & 45) & a second hand Garmin Forerunner 101
The BLUR ESC is a new spare, I have a motor to but I can't find it!
So now I'll start cleaning the bits up in the blue tray (the bits in clear are new) & start putting it together!

Enjoy the pic's, oh here are a few randoms of my tool box for you to look at as I know you all like pic's!
Cheers Pat

S8003272.jpg

S8003273.jpg

Nice collection Pat. I'm starting to get that way too. I buy random tools I see at a local tool place, never know what they might come in handy for.

Update 10/01/11

Got some bit's done over the weekend,
I started buy stripping the diff's cleaning & rebuilding with some 50k lube in both
S8003280.jpg

S8003282.jpg

S8003283.jpg

Oh thank's to Hpi for shiming!
S8003284.jpg

S8003285.jpg

S8003287.jpg

Then I started building up the bulkheads, but ran into a small problem
S8003290.jpg

This was stopping the diff casing from closing up so I just file'd it down
S8003291.jpg

Front & rear bulkheads done
S8003292.jpg

Then put the bit's on the TVP's
S8003298.jpg

But then I spotted this
S8003297.jpg

The pin's are missing! & you can't order them so I sent Hpi a email.
Any how then I built up the gearbox all with the standard gearing for the minute.
So now it looks like this
S8003299.jpg

As I've built it I've changed all metal to metal screws over to hexs as we know these can be a pain!
Apart from two small prob's everything has gone well.
I'm still waiting on some parts to come but will keep this thread updated as I do things.
Pat

Feed back from you guys would be good! :peace:

Smart idea..... both have their ups and downs, mainly stripping out issues with both, but the hex heads are a lot better than the phillips head screws. Would a screw or bolt not work for the replacement of the pins?

looks like a really nice start on it .. going with the 3 speed trans with higher 3rd gear then tune out the first n second gears to get it to be a 1 speed high gear? looks good... also try to figure out the lightest tires and wheels to run and I'm thinking try to go a little skinnier on the tires than normal will get a faster top speed as welll ..but then again might be wrong .. cause the tires that balloon up gives a higher speed as the diamiter grows.....good luck..

Thanks for the feed back, it's good to talk about these thing's.
I' not sure what I'm going to do about the gearbox yet, but this is what I have plan'd.

1st run standard setup 20t pinion/44t spur standard inner gearbox
2nd run 25t pinion/44t spur standard inner gearbox
3rd run 25t pinion/43t spur standard inner gearbox
4th run 25t pinion/43t spur 39t Idler

I've got it in my head that I'll go C/F at some point to, what I'd really like to do is beat the E-Revo record!

Nice build hellraiser.
You don't really need those pins on the bulkhead cases.
I tore mine out, tapped a piece of brake line out to 4M inner dia and CA glued it in the hole where the pin was to get this ::

IMG_1171.jpg

IMG_1170.jpg

:resp: xll-SavageX-llx thanks for the info, I'll do that.
Cheers for the thumbs up guys,
Mickey I've read all his threads & watched his vid's on YouTube, from what I can see he hasn't done that much work to get that speed but I could be very wrong, but I'm hoping to get a bit more than that but we'll see a!
Lol I read all 36 page's of the E-Revo speed challenge on the traxxas forum & I've got to say some of them kept it top secret about what they done & their setups, which I'm not going to do.
I'm hoping you guy's can help me to show the traxxas lovers that the monster of monster trucks can do high speed to!
:ninja:

A little up date for you all today, some of the bit's I ordered turn up to day.
Any how, filled the shocks up with 45w & fitted, fitted sway bars & the wheels/tyres.
Still waiting on A far bit to turn up but anyway it's rolling now :jumpers:

Here are some updated pic's
S8003302.jpg

S8003304.jpg

S8003303.jpg

S8003307.jpg

S8003310.jpg

Its coming together nicely I think, before I do get started on the speed run's I'll mod the tyres to stop balloning.
I'm hoping the weather pick's up soon as the way it is the roads are way to wet to even think about trying a run :bad driver:
Pat

I love the look you have going so far, i can attest to the wet roads. I pics to prove that they can be rough on an rc.....lol

keep it up- looking good.

Looks like this is going to be a sick a$$ build!!! +3 on the stance.. :rock1:

Members online

Back