header tank for savy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

savage_racer

I'm going to get a savage x ss and i heard about the half tank issue and i would like to knoew if i tis header tank will work? and if it doesnt could you guys reccomend me one? thanks as i want to not have any problems with a new kit and i want to have the most fun and make the mods now while i have the money:) so thanks alot

savage :nutshot: !!!!!!

here is the tank
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXD714&P=6

I would just eventually do a midtank mod, you probably wont have a half tank lean issue out with your combo. I didn't anyway with my x ss and the 4.6.

Last edited by a moderator:
imo i have never ever seen this elusive half tank lean, i suspect its one of these 1 person thinks theres a problem and everybody else online agrees.

i never had a problem with my savage tank, and neither does anybody else at my club

i thought i had half tank lean but it was just that the fuel tank lid wasn't shut properly and the engine was sucking in a lot of air.
4x4

I suffer from the half tank lean. Heres what I would do, Assemble you truck break it in and all that good stuff. After the first gallon if you have the half lean tank get the header. My reasoning is simple, not everyone has this half tank lean as you can see from above. So why buy the header if you don't even if you'll have it? Now if you want to be 100% certain that you'll never have the half tank lean get a mid tank. JTMT makes some wonderful ones, best I've ever seen.
Let me get you a pic and a link.

This is not my truck, it's jrstorm's none the less he has the header on his truck.
DSCF000300.jpg

This is one of JTMT's midtank mods
https://www.hpisavageforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1671

that doesnt make sense to me. if youre 100% certain you don't have half tank lean then why bother with mid tank mod, if its not broke why change

That's my reasoning as exactly what I say too. What I'm telling him is if he wants to be certain his truck isn't leaning out in the least( or if he has the cash to throw around) do a midtank mod. I do agree with you though, if it's not broke don't fix it. I guess it all boils down to the question of do I want a mid tank just to have it or do I really need it?

that doesnt make sense to me. if youre 100% certain you don't have half tank lean then why bother with mid tank mod, if its not broke why change

Another thing I didn't say if your 100% percent certain. I said if you WANT TO be 100% certain.

iv never had the half tank lean issue with my savvy with the .21 or .28 in it. i think its an urban myth!LOL

Half tank lean in my experience, has come down to another problem not so much the design of the tank, but more of a air leak issue. As said above the fuel tank lid not closing- a very good example that a lot of people don't think of, lets not forget bad fuel lines, cracked o-rings in the fuel filter, and the obvious the engine.

i run a x 4.1 i thought i had the problem but turned out as jt said the engine had an air leak around the carb securing bolt i sealed the engine up sorted

yeah if you don't have an issue the main benefits from doin a mid tank are as darkshine said tank is protected between the tvps and also obviously the weight of the fuel is in the middle of the truck as oposed to hanging over one side so cornering should be far better

has anyone taken/setup corner weights propperly on the savage?
moving the tank to the centre line looks to un balance the truck. the fuel should be balancing the the wieght of the engine and pipe which is offset to the other side of the truck in stock position.

i dunno bout anyone else but i found it keeps the nose down a lot better. the weight thing, i haven't looked at, but i have the hump pack the other side, alond with the throttle servo...i might look into it.

kool thanx alot well i don't want to thro cash around so i think while I'm builind it i will see if i can make the stock tank go in the middle. but ill try to figure it out if it does happen. the header tank is no problem its only 2 bux so it fine if i don't use it. but thanx alot dudes. oh and one more question i wanted to get a okay radio system right now andi was thinking about the mx-3A ehich is am would that be good or should i get a hitec instead because i ont want to get an expensive radio I'm jst a basher and mostly nobody has an rc truck here. would it be good though? and any reccomendations to the radio thing? thanx
savage_racer

okay i just got my savage not a new x model but a .21bb model. good deal too 175 with custom body RTR. I'm goind to get the 4 gear mod and the maximizer diff cases. and other stuff like 3 shoe clucth shoes better servo and reverse module and air filter. it looks nice cant wait till it gets here!!!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back