hd bevel gears

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puckamahow racing

anyone else have any problems with the new hd pinion and bevel gears hpi put out???ate up 2 sets in less than 4 tanks of fuel proper installation and shims were used any suggestions as to what might be wrong???my baby is very well maintained sometimes abused but it's a savage!!not a revo!!!!lol HELP!!!TY

I just put the machined ring and pinion in both front and rear. they have 2 hard run tanks on them with no issues yet. Did you loctite the screws going into the diff cup? If not the ring gear will work itself loose. Other than that sounds like the mesh between the ring and pinion isn't right. Like Jester said, are they shimmed, and if so are they shimmed properly?

Last edited by a moderator:
shim

yup they were shimmed,and its not the diffs just the 13 tooth pinion keeps bustin teeth off....got another set today ran about 4 tanks so far gonna inspect again tonight mabey this time i done something right......

I have the HD diffs in front and rear. The 13 tooth pinion busted the teeth off but I can't remember if it is front or rear. I replaced it with a stock pinion and it's been fine since.

I also have the HD gears in my diffs, i busted one tooth off the front bevel gear, i replaced it with the stock bevel gear. i think i broke the front bevel gear from a few hard nose landings. so basically it was operator error, just gives me a reason to practice my jumps....

I also think that if their is 2 gears meshed that both have the same hardness that the weaker one will break, so i figured i would try the stock bevel gear since it is not as hard, i would rather blow out a bevel gear then have to rebuild the diff lol.

gears

I am hoping my demon is gone inspected the gears last night all was good not sure what the culprit was!Ran it this morning for an hour all is good so far thanks guys!!

gears

The hd gears come together,HPI has them listed on thier site for $35

the normal ones are $17.....$10 for the bevel gear and $7for the pinion

IMO its worth the extra $$$$$ for the HD had a few quirks first but now all seems to be groovy!!!

I have them in my XL (conversion kit). Inspecting the mesh with the skid plate off allows you to see if you have the correct mesh. It really makes a difference.
Sometimes you might need to put your shims between the bearing and the driveshaft. If you take a hard hit you could push the pinion too far into the ring gear, causing you to break teeth. I hope this helps.

I have also been told HT sells cans of "Throttle Rythm" & you have to ask the guy in the back. (TRUE STORY)

shims

not to be silly just a little clearer......are you meaning on the bottom side of the cups holding the dogbone running to the tranny?

When I started going through ring and pinions I inspected the diff housing and found that the plastic around the pinion bearings had gotten stretched or worn and was no longer holding the bearings firmly. This was allowing the pinion to move away from the ring gear even though all was shimmed properly.
If it acts up again than I would check this out.

I got the HD gears for about $27 on tower or some other online hobby shop. It's a bummer that mine didn't last as long as I wanted, atleast I'm still running 3/4 of the gears though.

shims

Yeah PUCK. Also the shims are used on the diff cup to center the ring gear. The key is to remove the skid plate and look inside. Add a little of the HPI grease and you should be good. I found that when I had Goliath wheels on my first truck I went through a bunch of gears. After getting some pointers from a very experenced racer and basher, I try and stay close to the stock size. It has made a big difference.

ty

That might be whatz goin on cant be the way I bash LOL......I've taken them apart again and will follow that route as my truck spends most of the time in the air thats a good safety measure ty for the advice...Leon!

Latest posts

Members online

Back