Has anyone run one of these?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Less ports suggest it's more of a low end torque engine. 5+ ports is usually ported to put more torque out at mid-high rpm's. Many sport (RTR) engines are 3 port.

For $115, guessing it's not a bad engine. I had a cheapo SH28 in my big block revo for a while and it did ok. I didn't get too many gallons through it before it started getting weak on me though and the OWB inside the engine started getting sketchy after 3 gallons.

Might be worth spending a few more $ and just get an LRP28. I've had a few of the LRP28S3's and they put the SH28 engine to shame in power and longevity.

The current LRP28 is an S4 (4th version) for $150:
https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGPZB

Lrp is a sh engine. Its the same thing just three ports. Not as much top end. I ran one for years before it wore out.
I'm not sure what the lrp is going for now. If its only $20 more, it would be a better choice.

Lrp is a sh engine. Its the same thing just three ports. Not as much top end. I ran one for years before it wore out.
I'm not sure what the lrp is going for now. If its only $20 more, it would be a better choice.
The LRP is built a lot better. I've had both apart on my bench. The millwork on the SH28 isn't that great.

If the mill work was poor it was just poir on that engine. Lrps have defects too.

I have had that sh 3 port later converted to 6 port, lrp, big red, and losi 454 all pulled apart on my bench. Only thing diffrrent was the cooling head and sleeve.

Sh vs lrp vd dynamite vs losi is just who imports them and distributes them. They are all the same cheap made in china engines. Thats why theyre $60 less than a picco

Thanks for the replies. I've been tearing down , cleaning, and inspecting all of my old engines.The XTM 457 I was running is pretty ugly on the inside, and I don't have much confidence that it would run for very long. I ended up assembling an old XTM 24.7 Pro. It was pretty clean on the inside, but it doesn't have a lot of squeeze left. I have a regular XTM 24.7 that looks like it should run for a backup. My boy and I are assembling the Axial .28 spec 1 for his truck. It looks like it has a lot of life left in it, and it was a real screamer to drive. I wish Axial still made engines. At some point, I'm sure I'll have to buy a new engine as the XTM engines were run hard for a long time. I'll have a look at the LRP .28...

Xtms are also sh engines. I forgot about those the 457 may be that same engine. I cant remember how many ports it had.

The backplate off of the 24.7 pro will fit them all and is a lot smaller so you can run bigger gear options.

Keep cgecking ebay. Sometimes you get lucky. The losi 454 used to go for $130. Theyre getting hard to find now.

If the mill work was poor it was just poir on that engine. Lrps have defects too.

I have had that sh 3 port later converted to 6 port, lrp, big red, and losi 454 all pulled apart on my bench. Only thing diffrrent was the cooling head and sleeve.

Sh vs lrp vd dynamite vs losi is just who imports them and distributes them. They are all the same cheap made in china engines. Thats why theyre $60 less than a picco
Well, not that I don't get what your saying, but I have yet to actually wear out an LRP28. I've run over 6 gallons through one, sold it and the truck to a friend who ran at least 3 more since we lost touch. I'm probably getting near 8 or 9 on another I still have that runs like a top.

The XTM 247, old stock SH28, new/current SH28 didn't see the other side of 5 gallons before either wearing out the pinch or the OWB crapping out. The XTM 247 was the worst of them. Stupid thing had a plastic back plate!

Perhaps the LRP's had pistons made out of something better as they seem to just last forever when cared for.

Pistons are the same part number along with most everything. Parts were availabke from hobbypeople. I just threw out the exploded views printed from their site.

Its just luck of the draw thst one ladted longer than the other. Both made from the same parts lot in the same sweat shop in china by under age workers. Consistancy and fit/finish vary

The 247 pro plastic backplate was designed just for the savage. The mach.26 had a big metal plate and the biggest gear ratio you could fit was 16/49 without some dremel work. The smaller backplate allowed for any gear combo available at the time. Plastic backplate isnt an issue as long as you don't use an impact on the screws. It was the only rotostart conversion option for years. Sh finally produced an alternative after discontiuing the 247 plate

The 247 was 25cc engine. Equivilant to sh.25. The xtm 457 is the .28.

All are great engines for the price. I'm stil running 3 of them.

I never had a SH pro I don't think. Only a generic head .28, old black head .28 and the xtm 24.7 with the larger head.

I know back in the day, there was an xtm 427 pro that was more similar to the LRP line in spec and looked nearly identical. Price was pretty much the same. The SH's and XTM I had were all considerably cheaper.

I had these:
2018-0103-XTM247-LargeHead.jpg

2018-0103-SH28-GenericBlueHead.jpg

2018-0103-SH28-OlderBlackHead-sh_pt2802a.jpg

I didn't get near the life out of any of those as I have with my LRP28S3's.

I had the xtm 247and Losi mach 427 at the same time. I swapped them back and forth in the same savage with the same pipe and as close to the same tune as I could get. The Losi was always faster and smoother than the xtm. The xtm ended up spot seizing and lost compression after a few gallons. The Losi went for 7 or 8 gallons before I sold the truck running smooth.

Latest posts

Members online

Back