Hard lesson on new rims!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlijgib

So i bought some warlock rims and dirtbonez tires off of a 4.6 x kit from e-bay. Got a good deal. Got a wild hair up my arse and decided to try and dye the rims to get a "Black Chrome" effect. I like the finish of the new uprights on the X kits. Went and bought some "RIT" black dye. Looked up a couple of how to's off the net for other dye able rim brands and went to town. Well instead of getting a black chrome I got a really dark brown/red/purplish chrome.

Doesn’t look bad.

Got stooped

I decided to use some chrome paint from a bottle to see how a chrome accent would look. Come to find out their is just a thin clear coat on the outside of the rims that the dye will stick to. If you were to clean the rims with any kind of solvent or alcohol base you will take that thin layer off. If you have already dyed the rims bye bye dye. If you haven’t yet the dye will not stick. Going to put the rims on this weekend and see how they will hold up to a good Florida bashing. Will put up pics in the next few days.

found myself that dyeing parts doesnt always give the desired color, died my rpm stuff and it came out perfect, died some proline rims and they went navy blue instead of black.

different makes seem to take the color better than others

Easy off non toxic oven cleaner will remove chrome nicely and cleans up without any problems. I have dyed tons of stuff with great results. I have a bunch of wheels just laying around. Take any old or damaged wheels and pratice with them.

Latest posts

Members online

Back