GST Diff Thread Pictures?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MTBikerTim

Brushless Power!!!
Is there any chance of getting the pictures restored in the GST diff conversion thread. The thread appears to be closed so I couldn't post in there. I'm thinking about trying this mod when my diffs next explode. It looks cheaper then alloy housings.

my guess would be no...just a hunch, but the owner of the pics isn't very well liked by some people on here, so they may have been deleted...

Yeah I gathered that when reading the last few posts and with the thread being closed. It's a shame. JT did some cool stuff. I thought someone might still have the pics and we could resurrect the thread.

I will post some pics when I do my next pair in a few weeks. I have bids on ebay right now, we'll see if I get them by tommorrow.

Nice blazer. You could repeat JT's pictures and save your self some work.

Just go to a hardware store and find the same size of the shaft of the stock 13 tooth pinion ..

might have to try a few stores

MT I believe they were 8 mm washers. I picked through box with some calipers to find the best ones in the box. I only used one per side but pick up a few of them just in case. Let me know if you need more help. You wont regret this mod.

yeah I have already picked up the diffs. I am going to keep them handy as spares. Well maybe not. I'll probably stick these in the brushless savage and keep those ones as spares, they are brand new. I finally cranked over the LRP today and man that thing was being a *****. There is something wrong with my glow starter too. That's for another thread though.

I have bought a set off ebay but I won't be in a huge hurry to install them unless I blow a diff in the mean time. The way my break in is going there ain't going to be any chance of that.

Found a few pic

098876bb.jpg

9829d331.jpg

f980a605.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Savage RTR Diffs

Ok, dam it son of a ..... So I read all the threads on how plastic cups are nasty and should be replaced and shimmed. I thought ok the snow has come heavy this year and maybe its time to strip it and finish my upgrades. So one of the things I buy is Nova cups to improve my diffs jester had a Awesome thread going and I didn't want the same thing happening to my diffs like his. Well this weekend I go to my RC shop to get the parts I need to shim them only to find out that the diffs are aluminum already. Yup right out of the box:duh: I know the Nova cups are great but will I need to replace the stock ones down the road? Should I keep them for future mishaps or just sell them? God:istupid:

I think the stock alu cups are pretty good quality. I haven't tried the novas but I have the FLM cups and the stock ones were easier to work with.

Holy **** they use a lot of loctite on these diffs. They are not coming apart in a hurry stock. I was able to remove the grub screw from the CV on the pinion without heating and that was it. The CV would not come off the diff pinion though. I used my heat gun and heated them up for a minute or 2 and they came off easily but there was enough red loctite there to lock about 100 screws. I used the heat gun on the diffs as well. I can see why people break these diffs in the cen though. The plastic cases are useless. They are so thin you can flex them with 2 fingers. They also don't seal very well. I don't understand how cen can make one part so well and the next so poorly.

Ah crap I was goona warn you about the red loctite. I actually had one screw break off in the diff cup, so I am only run 3 on one side. Did you figure out that you only need to take one side of each one apart?

Yeah I only took off one side. I was going to take off both sides but I decided after burning myself 3 times just trying to get one side off I decided one side it was. I learnt that when you drop something you have been heating with the heat gun DON'T CATCH IT!

I didn't break or strip any screws though. If the screw wasn't coming out easy it wasn't hot enough. The screws seemed fairly soft I noticed too.

What are the number of teeth on the diff and pinion on these diffs. I can't seem to find it anywhere. The final ratios are in the other thread but I can't find the actual tooth numbers.

I finally thought why not look in the manual. It's 26t and 9t which is from the manual but I have found a few different answers to that question.

Thanks anyway guys.

I finally finished the diffs. I know this same picture has been taken many times but I just had to take it again.

Yea I hope that you plan on doing the other diff. or your just showing the different between the 2..

Those are new not yet run savage parts. I just bought the bits I needed from nirtonutzz so I don't have the rest of the truck. Yes I have changed the front diff as well. I just took the pic half way through for comparison. It's crazy how much bigger the teeth are on the Cen. Also after putting them all back together i realised I forgot to put any grease on the ring gear :duh:.

Latest posts

Members online

Back