Great info on 3 speed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremy

2.jpg

1.jpg

SJ, you the man, I was just thinking about getting the kit. You answered alot of questions for me. getting ready to order one. thanks bud

I just got my first 2 speed gear box. My 25 came with the 3 speed. I was very surprised to find the gears in the 2 speed to be plastic. I have put it in my brushless project. Hopefully it will last. I have my doubts.

Depends you can get a kit for around 50 bucks or so .. a complete tranny for like 70

FYI, the magazine article is half wrong and half misleading in regards to the gear ratios they state in the chart.

First, the first gear ratio on the 3-speed is actually 2.44:1 (not 3.14), same as on the 2-speed.

Second, those ratios quoted only show the relationship between the gears on the top shaft and those on the middle shaft. The "drive" gear and the "idler" gear are different in the 3-speed compared to the 2-speed and need to be taken into account for an accurate comparison. When you do, you get the following (and their chart should show these numbers to be useful):

2-Speed
1st gear: 2.22:1
2nd gear: 1.54:1

3-Speed
1st gear: 2.37:1
2nd gear: 1.89:1
3rd gear: 1.53:1

As you can see, the 3-speed does give a better acceleration ratio (6.7% better), but the high-gear ratio is virtually unchanged, less than a 1% difference.

Remember, the higher the number on the left side of the colon, the better the acceleration will be. The lower that number, the more potential top speed you'll have.

FYI, the magazine article is half wrong and half misleading in regards to the gear ratios they state in the chart.

First, the first gear ratio on the 3-speed is actually 2.44:1 (not 3.14), same as on the 2-speed.

Second, those ratios quoted only show the relationship between the gears on the top shaft and those on the middle shaft. The "drive" gear and the "idler" gear are different in the 3-speed compared to the 2-speed and need to be taken into account for an accurate comparison. When you do, you get the following (and their chart should show these numbers to be useful):

2-Speed
1st gear: 2.22:1
2nd gear: 1.54:1

3-Speed
1st gear: 2.37:1
2nd gear: 1.89:1
3rd gear: 1.53:1

As you can see, the 3-speed does give a better acceleration ratio (6.7% better), but the high-gear ratio is virtually unchanged, less than a 1% difference.

Remember, the higher the number on the left side of the colon, the better the acceleration will be. The lower that number, the more potential top speed you'll have.

Thanks bud .... I gave you some rep ..

If you get this kit -

The bushing for the top shaft is molded into the center of the 44 tooth spur that comes with the kit.

son-of-a, oof-ta!

30000410727.jpg

Sorry, just screen capped this, but you can see the bushing in the center of the gear.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back