GPM C-Hubs & Steering Blocks = Better Steering!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THE JUDGE

This afternoon I got my latest mod for the Savage in the mail...a set of GPM steering blocks (#SAV1021-SIV) and C-hubs (#SAV1019-SIV). I have heard good things about their durability, which is the main reason I got them, since I'm running offset wheels and all. The price was also hard to beat...I got them both for about $44 shipped.

Everything looks fairly well made, and both parts are completely bead-blasted, giving them a matte finish. Both items came with new kingpins, so now I have an extra set just in case. The C-hubs also came with upper hinge pins with an E-clip at each end...I opted to use screws instead.
GPMKnucklesandCarriers001.jpg

The first thing I did was weigh what I was replacing, just for giggles.
The stock parts... 1.6 oz.
GPMKnucklesandCarriers002.jpg

The GPM stuff replacing it... 2.2 oz.
GPMKnucklesandCarriers003.jpg

Upon test-fitting the two together, I saw a lot more clearance everywhere compared to the plastic parts as far as steering throw. The hub and upright barely touch at the inside of the C-hub.
GPMKnucklesandCarriers004.jpg

As you can see in these pics, the GPM parts give considerably more steering throw out of the box...I had been wondering about this from pictures of them, and the side-by-side comparo tells all.
GPMKnucklesandCarriers005.jpg

GPMKnucklesandCarriers007.jpg

To get the maximum amount of steering throw, I went a little further. I beveled the inner edges of the C-hubs where the steering blocks contacted them. Look closely and you can see where I removed a little metal.
GPMKnucklesandCarriers008.jpg

The grind job was a success...I gained even more steering angle.
GPMKnucklesandCarriers009.jpg

The rest of the install was fairly standard. The only thing I didn't like is that the bearings don't fit tightly at all in their bores. A few drops of blue Loctite inside each bore before I put the bearings in took care of that, though.

Here's the finished pics. I may have to get CVDs up front now...there's enough throw in the steering to bind up the dogbones. For now, I'll just be careful setting my steering EPAs. I must say, they match the Integy rear carriers pretty well, LOL!
GPMKnucklesandCarriers010.jpg

GPMKnucklesandCarriers011.jpg

GPMKnucklesandCarriers012.jpg

GPMKnucklesandCarriers013.jpg

GPMKnucklesandCarriers014.jpg

WOW nice truck, I'm gonna have to get a set of those for my savvy the turning radius on the XL is kinda big.....

+1 on the GPM parts. The Savy in my sig, have the same part but just in blue.

With street tires on the street, my savy pretty much has the turing radius of a 1/10 toury car... I joke, but I love the performance.

BTW, my metel savy is made out of 70% GPM parts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you run the GPM Bulkheads ?
I have a set that I run .. They are decent .. But I like the FLM style better

Yes. I like the gpm bulkhead look over FLM. But I am sure the FLM bulkhead are stronger. I just got their LCG TVPs in, dam those things are THICK! good lord.

Check out the pics below, again the only parts that are not GPM are the shock towers, shocks, and the bulkhead brace (or think thats what its called).
shock towers and brace are GH parts.

Pics.

That looks sweet Judge. I am now thinking I am going to get myself a set. The only thing holding me back is that they are made by GPM. I haven't had good luck with there products. So please after a few runs can you post back and tell how they have held up so far.

P.S. YOU HAVE A SWEET LOOKING SAVAGE!!!

That looks sweet Judge. I am now thinking I am going to get myself a set. The only thing holding me back is that they are made by GPM. I haven't had good luck with there products. So please after a few runs can you post back and tell how they have held up so far.

P.S. YOU HAVE A SWEET LOOKING SAVAGE!!!

I have about ~ 20 hours on them, off 5 foot jumps, on street, everything. Not a problem.

I've been using GPM parts for a long time, now. What problems are people with them?

I have heard mixed reviews on GPM's 1/18 scale R/C parts, but the Savage parts I got from them have a very good rep for durability...which again is the main reason why I got them in the first place!

And even if something does go wrong, I only have $20 invested in each pair of parts, so no biggie to replace them anyways.

I have about ~ 20 hours on them, off 5 foot jumps, on street, everything. Not a problem.

I've been using GPM parts for a long time, now. What problems are people with them?

I don't know about other people, but the biggest problem I have had with them is the machining of the products and the fact that from the products that I have bought, don't hold up any better then stock with a higher price tag. I have bought the TVP's and the Tie Rods from them. Both had some defects off the bat. You never know though this can just be my luck, and I have always got a lemon because it sometimes happens.

You truck looks good though Nick!

Well, I took her out to play yesterday, and beat on it pretty good. The steering is MUCH better than before, and the GPM parts seemed to hold up to jumping and cartwheels just fine, even with a steering link popped off in the middle of a cartwheel:
SavageBash008.jpg

So far I give the GPM stuff high marks for performance and durability. If anything goes wrong, I'll let you all know, but so far so good!

Members online

No members online now.
Back