Got my Axial .28 Spec 1s today!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys. I got my very anticipated Axial .28 Spec 1s gray head motor in the mail today. I traded for it used, but it only had 2 tanks through it, and still needed break in finished. I didnt think id get to run it today, as i had to go to my girlfriends and go somewhere with her. It killed me because it was sooo nice out. 60* and sunny. Anyways, i came home a little early, and ended up getting the Axial on the truck, and decided that even though it was dark, id try and run a tank through it.

Well, so far so good! I think it was leaned a little much for the 3rd tank of fuel when i got it, so hopefully that didnt hurt it if it was ran like that, but i richened it up about as much as i could to where it would still accelerate, and idle good. I loosened the plug a little, stuck my ignitor on, and within just a few pulls it came right to life and to my surprise sat and idled great. I tightened the plug, and richened the low end to where it would still idle good, but smoked a lot and was sluggish to accelerate. The truck was still pretty responsive, so i immediately richened the LSN up to the factory mark, and then a little more. As much as i could, and still have the truck accelerate. I went a little far with it at first, and it died on me, so i leaned it a hair, and it ran and idled perfect the whole tank. That was the only time it died on me. I sealed the backplate and carb before i ever put it on the truck, and so far so good. It seems very easy to tune, because it idled great, even really rich. Oh, and i was really surprised at the pinch. This thing is TIGHT. So i figure it couldnt be hurt being that tight. I was afraid to try starting it without loosening the plug.

Overall i am very happy with it so far. I have yet to see any power out of it because of how rich i have it, but i will probably lean it a little on the next tank, and run another 3 tanks or so through it, gradually leaning and running it harder. Although before i richened the HSN it felt pretty peppy, so I'm anxious to see what it has in it.

I figure when i get done, ill have 6 tanks through it for break in. Is that about right? I'm running 20% race trinity fuel, and it is running perfect on it so far.

Anyways, I'm really excited. Its been a while since i have broken in a motor, and its pretty fun to break them in IMO, especially if you have one that acts as good as this one is. I even like the pull start. I actually like it much better than the roto start as long as i don't have any problems with it. It starts and idles so good that i don't think there will be a lot of cranking going on.

unfortunately when i took my old motor off, I found the rear of one of my clutch shoes had broken behind the pivot. It is working alright as of now, but ill have to fix it soon. Oh well, i need an aluminum clutch anyways.

Enough rambling... I took some pictures of it on the truck. Ill get video once it is broken in, and tuned good. I may be able to finish break in tomorrow night, or at least I'm hoping. Its currently geared 15/49 which is probably pretty low, but ill see what i think of it, and adjust from there.

Eric

Did you allow sealer to set up before running it?
Patience is needed for break-in grasshopper! I would allow enough time to start and finish in one attempt! =]

Yeah, the sealer set up for probably 8 hours. I sealed it and left about 2:00 and started on it again a little after 10:00. I should be able to finish break in tonight, and maybe get some power out of it.

i have read that the spec 1's are a bit more dependable then the rr's you will have to keep us updated!!!

Latest posts

Members online

Back