Good temp to run my truck

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harty1209

hi guys could some body tell me a good temp to run my 5.9 truck

Tune your engine so that when it's fully warmed up and chassis is heat soaked with half tank of fuel or less it will just clear out and make proper RPM during high speed passes. This is the safest usable HSN setting for your engine. You should also set your idle gap as small as you can get away with and LSN for lowest reliable RPM. It takes developing a bit of a feeling and ear which is why nitro is so fun IMO. Temperature is not always a repeatable accurate indicator of proper tune through a range of conditions.

Tune by sound and smoke. Temps will only be a reference. Depending on how you are driving and on what terrain the temps may vary quite a bit. Some engines do great in the mid 200s degrees F, some in the upper 200s.

ideal operating temps should be under 250f. But this can alter dependent on the conditions and weather your running it in.

I have run my truck as hot as 270 or so without trouble, anything above 290 is usually considered hot enough to stop running it and let it cool......

I would not run a engine any hotter that 250f as its very bad for the engine.

Sorry John but i have to disagree with that as mine has been run at 270 for a long time with zero ill effects...... ask anyone I get years out of my engines all the time...

I work for ( HPI ) we would not recommend running the engine any higher than 250f deal operating temps should be under 250f. But this can alter dependent on the conditions and weather your running it in.

during run in the temps shouldnt get over 250f/120c. Although it may do slightly due to the fact the engine isnt getting any cooling

Well not trying to argue with you but I have over 20 years with nitro vehicles and have never had a problem with using my rigs and my engines last a long time thru many bash sessions and beatings, so lets just agree to disagree and leave that where it lies......

I work for ( HPI ) we would not recommend running the engine any higher than 250f deal operating temps should be under 250f. But this can alter dependent on the conditions and weather your running it in.

during run in the temps shouldnt get over 250f/120c. Although it may do slightly due to the fact the engine isnt getting any cooling
I would agree with this. While I've seen engines run much hotter and work fine, that doesn't necessarily mean it's whats best for them or something I would do myself. I actually like to run my nitro engines at around 230-240 F.

I'd say the best advice would be to follow what X has already said and that's to tune by smoke.

Not saying I constantly run my :ercm: at 250 and up, just saying that high temps wont cause any damage if it runs hot for awhile. I usually tune them to run at 230 or so myself.....
But I have gotten them very hot without any damage done.....

Like X did say as long as there is a decent smoke trail most :ercm: will be just fine, just do not worry too much if they tend to get a bit hot usually at the end of a tank of fuel.....

Latest posts

Members online

Back