Glow Plugs, Killing them frequently

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bildad

Truck had been running well but hadn't used it in a while so went for a blat the other day, started straight away, I let the engine warm up a bit then started driving, plenty of smoke then car just stalled, wouldn't start, dead Glow plug. Replaced with new #8 OS plug started straight away then put the throttle on just a bit to take off engine stalled again Glow plug dead, put in another brand new plug, started straight away drove around for best part of a tank heaps of smoke no bog down or lean issues, truck stalled filling tank, truck wouldn't start, you guessed it another dead glow plug. Pulled cooling head off inspected button, seems the button was stripped, replaced button, new plug in fattened up the needles started tune from scratch, things going great for a tank and a half, still not fully tuned running with plenty of smoke, car stalled another dead plug, replaced with new ran for a tank then truck stopped dead plug again. Any Ideas?

Do the plugs look alright? Not burnt, fouled, broken or anything. Just not glowing?

Wow. Your getting into some money for that bash day. @$6 a plug, that's an annoying issue to have.

Are the coils deformed at all?

Well, as it turned out, went to strip engine tried to get back plate off 1 of the 4 recessed @#$% Allen Screw stripped it's head, easy outs and whatever else you can think of didn't work. So I have a spare Brand new Motor that is tighter than a fishes arsehole and won't sustain idle without leaving the glow starter connected. Ah the joy of breaking in a new engine, I nearly forgot how much fun it was. :)

I have in a pinch hit the glow plug with carb cleaner and had it work better. I don't know if that means my tune is too rich

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back