Glow Plug

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Javage

Hey guys, couple questions:

1.) What plug should I be using/ you guys recommend;
-Stock/unmodded engine w/ HPI tuned pipe
-Running O'Donnell 20% fuel
-80-95deg. Summer Air temp.

2.) Why do I go keep burning plugs?
-Too rich?
-Currently running O.S.#8(LHS recommended these)
-4 plugs(1-R5/ 3-#8) in approx. 1/2gal of fuel
-Most coils light up except for the top coil(or two) when I test in the igniter/ I was told that if the top coil isn't lite the plug is bad.

i run a mccoy or dynamite mc8 i have used the os 8 before and found that they don't last as long . as for the top coil not lighting on a bad glow plug most of them do that its when they don't light at all or are not bright orange when you test them they are bad

Ohh. . . so some of the glow plugs might still be ok to reuse then, great! Only reason I said they were bad is b/c guy at LHS and a heli flyer both said if the top coil isn't lite its bad.

Also I couldn't get my Savy to start yesterday with the plug that had the top coil not lighting up?

Is there any other cheaper plugs that are still good quality, my local store only has the O.S. plugs @$8/ea.

Ohh. . . so some of the glow plugs might still be ok to reuse then, great! Only reason I said they were bad is b/c guy at LHS and a heli flyer both said if the top coil isn't lite its bad.

Also I couldn't get my Savy to start yesterday with the plug that had the top coil not lighting up?

Is there any other cheaper plugs that are still good quality, my local store only has the O.S. plugs @$8/ea.

IMO, if the coil doesnt glow when u put the igniter, it is dead already.. anyway, you need to check your environment temperature before buying a plug. i think each brand have its own plug number for certain temperature range. i only have experience with OS and AXE plug, so i don't know much. but i'm sure other members can help you.

get a mc 8 plug they tend to last longer ... as for the coils not being lit up all the way if the first or second one don't light up they will still work..lol i kick started several plugs out in the feild when they wouldnt glow at all by barely moving the coils over so they got contact. when ones dead ..its dead.. no glow or very weak glow...good luck... bash on.

thanks guys, i listed my usual outside temps in the first post so maybe that would out finding the best plug.

maximusso i can push the good coils over to the plug body and they should work, correct?

yes if you do it with it on the ignitor as you do it and do it very slow and carefull they are very fragile. might kill it all the way or ignite them all up... just be easy and you can get them all lit up. ive done it enough that i can do it fairy decent every time but it does take a lil practice and finesse to not kill it..good luck,,

i run cen plugs. $6.99 vs. $7.99 for the mccoy's here in vancouver.

Hey guys, couple questions:

1.) What plug should I be using/ you guys recommend;
-Stock/unmodded engine w/ HPI tuned pipe
-Running O'Donnell 20% fuel
-80-95deg. Summer Air temp.

thanks guys, i listed my usual outside temps in the first post so maybe that would out finding the best plug.

Jav, a rule of thumb for plug selection is higher % nitro content (ex 30 %) use a colder plug, lower percentage nitro (ex 20%) use a hotter plug .

outside temperature doesnt affect plug selection, but in colder weather you will want to richen your fuel mixture to accomodate denser air.

in hotter weather you can lean the mixture a bit more as air is less dense.

if you keep burning out plugs it could be an air leak.....hows the motor running??if a plug is acting up and not burning proper and you keep forcing it to light the coil could break and end up in your engine!!!

I ended up buying a couple cheap traxxas hot plugs, have had great success with them so far and truck is running better than ever.

LOL, I have a traxxas med-hot that my LHS gave me for free to try out 'cause I was having probs and it seems to run great in the 5.9 with 20% Sidewinder with 12% oil.

Members online

No members online now.
Back