glow plug prob!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4x4

ive had a few problems with my engine recently as some of u may know so i put the engine back to bay settings and started her up and tune my savy.it was a pain to start and my glow plugs kept going black then they die. what is wrong why do my plugs keep going black?

thanks 4x4

just a thought, Take the head off and look at the top of the piston make sure there is no metal in the engine at all,

[hs] darkshine;17839 said:
sound like it's really lean, like really lean, and the element is burning too hot. but you're at base settings, so not that....have you done anything else?

no i haven't done any thing else i don't think its lean because i like to run my engine a bit rich just for saftey.and there are no bits of metal on the piston.
any other ideas would be welcome.

thanks 4x4

Thats odd, what plug are you using? med? Take a picture of one of the trashed elements, so that we can see it.

what motor ? what fuel, what fuel %, what glow plug.. how much fuel has gone thru the motor ? and if its new what methid of break in ?

what motor ? what fuel, what fuel %, what glow plug.. how much fuel has gone thru the motor ? and if its new what methid of break in ?

fuel: tornado 25%
glow plug:rb ( http://www.jespares.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=88&products_id=2897 )
fuel through Moter: about 10 litres
methord of break in: the sitting on the box one

pic:i cant get any the pictures are too blury to see and it wont allow the mp/size of my camera but the element is snapped in halfs and very black.

and i don't think its too rich.
thanks 4x4

Gosh I really wish I could help. If it was happening to me I would try a different brand of a glow plug.

Last edited by a moderator:
glow pulg

Yes really seems to be running lean try riching it up a hair

i don't think its lean as i said i like to keep it a little on the rich side.
thanks for all the help 4x4

just a thought, Take the head off and look at the top of the piston make sure there is no metal in the engine at all,

ive taken the head off and found lots of metal shavings on the piston! what does this mean?
thanks 4x4

bad news, what color are the metal shaves, brass, silver, ?? if its brss its commming from the connecting rod, they have a tendency to flake off some metal, anyway its could have been caused by allot of different things (its time for a rebuild!!!) new piston and sleeve, (if the connecting rod looks ok u wont need to replace that) , but sence you have metal in your engine , take a real good look at the bearings also, if they feel rough, your better off buying a new mill !!!

WHat brand of glow plug do u use ? On my surefire, they were selling traxxs brand for really cheep, I bought 4 of them and the elements broke off and landed on the top of the piston, So I WILL NEVER use a off brand of glow plug ever again, I allways run mcoy plugs now, haven't had a problem, after the rebuild on the surefire, (I didn't change the connection rod) I got lucky I gess and didn't need to(I did change my bearings tho) because I called raceredge and asked them about the rebuild, They sent me a front and rear bearing for free!!!!! ( I have 5 gallons on the rebuild) on the next I will replace the c-rod..

I'm using rb plugs which have never failed on me before this. but I'm going to get a new engine i was thinking of an os vg what are your views on it? i want an engine with alot of power?
thanks 4x4

Are you looking to bash or race the truck? Different engines for different purposes. For racing that Os v speck would work nice so would a Nov 528 your a freak about it send it and have it Rb modified, insane power. On a track there exposive. At our track we have MT .21 class and MT .28 and above class. Wouldn't waste that much cash on a bashing engine. Bashing - good ones to look at RB 928, OS .30 , Axial .28 and .30 then the STS .28 and .30. With the exception of RB the rest are cost effective. This is just a few but seem to be real common.

i want an engine with alot of power?
thanks 4x4

That quote seems a little vague to me. We need more details where your going with all this

Also I would create a new thread. By asking what engine has alot of power throws this thread completely off track from Glow Plug Problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry ive cleaned it out now but i may have a few in the crankcase ill check!
thanks hop hew thread is on its way!
4x4

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back