Glow Plug Life?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

///M3TZ

I'm sure this is a pretty noob question, but how long do glow plugs last? I am finally going to replace my stripped spur gear and get mine running after 5 years of sitting. Unfortunately, my glow plug igniter does not have a meter on top of it. Should I replace the glow plug or give it a shot? If so, any recommendations on replacements?

Any other things I should replace to get it running OK? Air filter is on my list.

Thanks in Advance!

I would change the glow plug for sure. The glow plug type depends on the platform you are running or what type of temperature you are running in.

You don't have to replace the air filter. Just wash it out with warm soapy water, let it fully dry, and oil it.

Also if it has been sitting for a couple of years, replace your fuel lines and wash out your fuel tank with a bit of clean fuel.

Check all your screws to make sure they are tight.

Just give your truck a complete once over.

I would change the glow plug for sure. The glow plug type depends on the platform you are running or what type of temperature you are running in.

You don't have to replace the air filter. Just wash it out with warm soapy water, let it fully dry, and oil it.

Also if it has been sitting for a couple of years, replace your fuel lines and wash out your fuel tank with a bit of clean fuel.

Check all your screws to make sure they are tight.

Just give your truck a complete once over.

Thanks! Great reply.

I am running a savage 25 (2 of them actually) in Colorado summer weather, so decent temperatures. I would prefer buying from tower hobbies as that is where I am getting my spur gear from. Any specific recommendations?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0095P?FVSEARCH=hpi+glow+plug&search=Go

Also, the rubber on all of my air filters seems to have cracked. I think it still provides a decent seal though.

I found a full container of eliminator race fuel, but it is also about 5 years old. Still okay to use?

Thanks again

you can "check" your glow plug/glow ig.

charge your ig, take the plug out the truck & plug it into your ig.

if it glows red, its good.

if it doesn't, either your plug is bad or ig isnt charged.

Thanks! Great reply.

I am running a savage 25 (2 of them actually) in Colorado summer weather, so decent temperatures. I would prefer buying from tower hobbies as that is where I am getting my spur gear from. Any specific recommendations?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0095P?FVSEARCH=hpi+glow+plug&search=Go

Also, the rubber on all of my air filters seems to have cracked. I think it still provides a decent seal though.

I found a full container of eliminator race fuel, but it is also about 5 years old. Still okay to use?

Thanks again

+ 1 on the MC8

I would also say that if the rubber is cracked, replace it. I would not take any chances.

Buy new fuel. I would not keep any fuel longer than a year. To much moisture gets in there.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back