Glow plug help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WJC

ok guys going to be using Morgan fuel 20%. What type of plug do you guys suggest?

Well first off what is the weather like where you are? and what engine?

If its really cold outside use a mcCOY mc59 plug.

good point. I'm. Not going to run the truck until spring. Temp now is in the 30's. I will be running the truck in the spring and summer. 65-95 degree range.

well just as a example in the summer months here in canada i run a MED-COLD (R4) outside temps are about 70-95 degrees and my engine runs consistantly at 230-240 dgrees

well just as a example in the summer months here in canada i run a MED-COLD (R4) outside temps are about 70-95 degrees and my engine runs consistantly at 230-240 dgrees

ya I guess that's where I want to be.going to. Be doing the heat cycle method for break in

the odonnell sport plugs are good i run the med hot in all my trucks

OK so it seems like I should run a med/hot plug. Going to wait until spring to run my truck. Again going to run 20% sidewinder fuel and I have the stock K4.6 motor. So is it safe to say that in the dead of summer when the temps are around 85 - 90 degrees outside I should be running that med/hot plug? Also I understand that some plugs are different lengths which length do I use a short or long plug? I think they were the long ones, I kinda forgot which one I used in the past I believe they were O'donnell plugs. I understand that dsifferent lengths can effect your tune/compression.

OK so it seems like I should run a med/hot plug. Going to wait until spring to run my truck. Again going to run 20% sidewinder fuel and I have the stock K4.6 motor. So is it safe to say that in the dead of summer when the temps are around 85 - 90 degrees outside I should be running that med/hot plug? Also I understand that some plugs are different lengths which length do I use a short or long plug? I think they were the long ones, I kinda forgot which one I used in the past I believe they were O'donnell plugs. I understand that dsifferent lengths can effect your tune/compression.

If the temps are going to be around 85-90, you'll wanna run a med/cold plug once the motor is broken in. If you still need to break-in the motor, you'll want to use a hot/med plug for the break-in process. Reason being, with the very rich settings used for break-in, you'll want the extra heat from the plug to help burn the fuel easier. If not, it'll ruin the plug real fast and also flood the motor. Once you get ready to start tuning it, you can switch to a med/cold plug. Once the the temps outside start dropping, you'll want to switch back to a med/hot plug and retune the motor. I use the McCoy brand plugs, those have seemed to work the best for me. I've also used the O'Donnells when my LHS was out of McCoys, and they work pretty good too. Hope this has help you some.

Yes that was the answer I was looking for. I guess I should have asked what plug do I use for cooler temps say 50-65 degrees and which ones for temps in the upper 80's and 90's. LoL So MC59 when the weather is cool and MC9 when the weather is hotter Might just use the stock plug during break in.

Can anyone please tell me the difference between these plugs MC-8 Medium Hot #8 and MC-55 Medium Hot They both say Medium Hot.

Yes that was the answer I was looking for. I guess I should have asked what plug do I use for cooler temps say 50-65 degrees and which ones for temps in the upper 80's and 90's. LoL So MC59 when the weather is cool and MC9 when the weather is hotter Might just use the stock plug during break in.

For temps in the 50-65 deg. range, you might still be able to run the med/cold plug (MCCoy MC-8). If the motor doesn't run right with the MC-8, then switch to the MC-59 hot plug. I also suggest that you use the MC-59 plug for the break-in process. The stock plug that came with the motor is a cold plug. for temps in the upper 80's and hotter, run the MC-8 plug since you'll be only runnin 20% nitro.

Can anyone please tell me the difference between these plugs MC-8 Medium Hot #8 and MC-55 Medium Hot They both say Medium Hot.

I believe the MC-55 is a short plug instead of a long plug.

xtremsavage, I can't thank you enough. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. I'm going to stock up on some plugs. I was so very confused about which plug to use. I had a serious problem while tunning my LOSI MUGGY. Could not understand why. Once I had it tuned perfectly ran around for hours on 30% and the temps never got past 220 degrees After that could not get her to run right at all. I remember that I switched plugs and never remembered which plug I had in there in the first place. Just a big problem. Thanks again this is going to help me out alot. I thought I knew a thing or two about tunning but I just learned alot just by asking these questions. Did a little research about plugs and just got confused but the way you explaned it was perfect. Set me in the right direction. Now I know when and what plug to use.
Thanks man.

No problem. Just glad I was able to help. Some little tips to remember. Higher % nitro-use a colder plug. colder outside air temps, use a hotter plug.

No problem. Just glad I was able to help. Some little tips to remember. Higher % nitro-use a colder plug. colder outside air temps, use a hotter plug.

Sorry but had another question. I'm looking on horizon site and noticed that there were two types of Mccoy plugs. One was a power plug MC-59 and the other said MC-59 (NOT POWER PLUG) The power plug is made by Dynamite. Are they different? Or are they both long plugs.

Sorry but had another question. I'm looking on horizon site and noticed that there were two types of Mccoy plugs. One was a power plug MC-59 and the other said MC-59 (NOT POWER PLUG) The power plug is made by Dynamite. Are they different? Or are they both long plugs.

I'm not sure about the dynamite plug. Are you gonna be ordering them online? Here are some links to the McCoy plugs on Tower Hobbies website.

MC-59
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXRA06&P=ML

MC-8
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXRA02&P=ML

MC-9
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXRA03&P=ML

Maybe this will help you out. I order stuff from Tower when I can't get it locally and they are real good. And prices aren't bad either.

I'm not sure about the dynamite plug. Are you gonna be ordering them online? Here are some links to the McCoy plugs on Tower Hobbies website.

MC-59
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXRA06&P=ML

MC-8
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXRA02&P=ML

MC-9
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXRA03&P=ML

Maybe this will help you out. I order stuff from Tower when I can't get it locally and they are real good. And prices aren't bad either.

Thank you again.

OK here it goes. I want to get a set of extra clutch shoes for my savage. Should I go with the HPI set. http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/87196/
Or do you have a different set in mind.

The HPI alum. shoes aren't that bad, but they're cheaper ones out there that work just as well as the HPI alum. shoes. I personally, am switching to a sliding clutch once I get the money. It all depends on what your're lookin for.

The HPI alum. shoes aren't that bad, but they're cheaper ones out there that work just as well as the HPI alum. shoes. I personally, am switching to a sliding clutch once I get the money. It all depends on what your're lookin for.

OK that sounds good. I don't have the money for a sliding clutch so I'll look into some other options for the 3-shoe. I don't think I have a need for a sliding clutch, just bashing.

All I do is bash also and no racing. I'm switching over to the slider cuz it's alot better. As far as alum. 3 shoe clutch goes, some members have said that the Integy set is good and Novas are pretty good also. Those would be my two suggestions. Or you could try the dynamite Platinum series, I've heard those are good too. Just remember, if you are gonna use the alum. shoes, make sure you install the Mugen 1.0mm clutch springs with them. Thsoe are the best springs you can use with alum. shoes.

Ya I think I'll go with the 1.0 springs. I have 1.1mm mugen springs. What type of shoes should I use with those springs?

Ya I think I'll go with the 1.0 springs. I have 1.1mm mugen springs. What type of shoes should I use with those springs?

I'm not sure. Depending on where you got the shoes from (LHS), you might be able to switch them out for the 1.0mm springs. The 1.1mm springs are to strong to be used with alum. shoes. You'll melt the shoes down in less than gal. Any alum. shoes you use, you'll always (well, almost always) want to use the 1.0mm springs.

Latest posts

Members online

Back