Given up!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j1273

The savage I bought is a dog!!! Now it wont change in to 2nd gear
I bought it from a model shop its used with a new engine. I cant get the engine runnig right. The engine is probably my fault but the gear problem definately isnt. Ive only put 12 tanks thru it and already Ive had to replace the slipper clutch 2 rear dogbones (no crash) the brake hub is rounded off aswell.
So I'm taking it back to where I bought it.
£200 I paid for this thing and after spending that much I want to feel happy and I don't!!!
Jay

Unfortunately I don't think I will get a refund!! I am hoping the gearbox will be fixed free of charge though surely for 200 quid parts should last longer than 12 tanks of fuel or hpi would not sell anything!!! The engine I just cannot do one minute its ok then idle speed goes mental then I am moving the needles again. I will pay for the engine to be tuned because I just have not a clue Ive watched vids read stickies and it just does not work on my engine!!! I'm sure for someone who knows what theyre doing the engine will take 2 mins to tune but not me!!! But as for the parts Ive had to replace For the money Ive spent its not good enough!!!
Jay

don't give up... but you might take it back n see if they will fully refund you .. hard to say ... if it was as is then you own it ..some the bad things about buying used ones is they tend to have little problems over n over again it seems never ending but once you get caught up on all the problems its having then its really easy to stay ontop of it and they really are durable trucks ...good luck ...

Last edited by a moderator:
I would rather not have a refund. I bought it cos I want it and know it will be a great truck I'm just not happy with the amount of problems Ive had. I accept they are all probably wear and tear but Ive only put 12 tanks thru the beast so its not my wear and tear!! Basically does anyone agree that the shop should atleast fix my gear shift prob for nothing??
Cheers Jay

Man i traded for my savage about 5 years ago, it was a POS then, and stayed that away for about 3 or 4 years. I could never seem to get anything to work right or run right. I was surfing the web trying to put a value on the thing when i stumbled accross this website. Well i wound up not selling it, but instead fought through it and got it up and going. It has taken at while to get the hang of it, and i am still learning.

Do what you wish but, my recomdation is not to give up.

With you having run 12 tanks through it already i doubt they will give you a refund.

And as far as the tranny goes, if it is real slippery outsite or your slipper clutch is not tightend down enough it will cause issues when trying to shift. Ask me how i know....lol\

Keep your head up.....nothing worth wild comes easy.

Slipper fine!! Thats something I had to change after only 3 tanks!! Its tightened as much as I can (within reason) and is checked before every run. As I said don't want a refund just fixed for nothing as Ive spent nearly £100 on repairs already after only 12 tanks and no crashes!! Just need opinions to wether the shopo should mayb repair the tranny for free????
Cheers Guys Jay

Well 12 tanks of fuel is roughly 1/2 of a gallon (One jug of fuel)
3.8L = 3,800cc
160cc per tank
12 tanks = 1,920cc

and it depends on your driving, aggressive driving will lead to repairs at the end of the day. and for the trans pull the rubber off the side and turn the spur till you see an opening then turn the wheels and you should see 2 screws, leave the one that is straight alone and turn the one on a angle, turn the screw all the in till it wont go any more and turn it out 6 1/2 turns, thats where my 2 speed shift is and it's pretty decent.

Well In my oppinion, try taking the truck to the hobby shop and see if they can tell you what needs repaired. If they're anything like my lhs they will be more than willing to help.Then you will learn how to fix it. Good luck. don't think they will replace for nothin.

Cheers for your input guys. I have been breaking the engine in so not realy agressive drivng at all. Should the transmission really start playing up after only 12 tanks of fuel no jumps or extended wot running? If so that is an incredibly unreliable transmission that clearly needs reviewing!! No?
Jay

Oops sorry and the brake hub wearing out completely after 12 tanks of easy running?? If things wear out that easy on these trucks that is a problem surely not man!!??!!??
Jay

Hi Its a 21 or 25 I realy don't know. The shop where I got it don't know. It has a thunder tiger 28 pro engine. One of the forums kind members found me the manual for the engine on the web which I have downloaded and read. I followed the instructions ie needle settings and it wouldnt pull away. I was being overtaken by snails.
Thankyou all very much for your input
Jay

The savage I bought is a dog!!! Now it wont change in to 2nd gear

Jay

Hi Jay,

In order to solve your tranny problem, you will need to solve your engine-tuning situation.

The savage transmission is designed to shift only when reaching a given rpm. If your mill isnt running right, you will never reach that rpm & it will not shift.

Start Here:
1. Reset your HSN & LSN to factory, then lean the HSN 1/2 turn.
2. Make sure your idle gap is around 1mm
3. Replace your fuel lines.
4. Make sure you have FRESH fuel and a med-med hot glow plug.

Please post some pics of your savage which include the mill and pipe. i started out with a brand-new Xrtr and got so frustrated i almost threw it into a pond. Your situation is fixable bud.

good point frddyj!! i have heard those thunder tiger engines are a pain to tune so frddyj is right it may just be a tuning issue!!!!

given that you purchased it used with a new engine I would tear that truck down to pieces and rebuild it before you run anymore tanks. This will give you a solid understanding of how the truck operates from the inside out and also gives you the opportunity to inspect all the workings for wear and damage. These machines require more maintenance than actual use

Ok.
Thanks once again all for taking the time to try and help me with the thorn in my side!!
I thought the engine not being tuned might be the reason fo no shifting but at one point it was screaming but still not shifting there was a point when it did shift but only for a moment then it stopped. At some point today I will try and upload a few pics (another new thing to me!!).
I realy do apreciate everyone taking time to help me with what to you all must be trivial!!!!
Cheers a very grateful Jay!!!

actually we all enjoy helping one another,thats what this forum is all about my friend!!!!

Just wana show my gratitude!!! One day i will be the one helping aswell i hope!!
Jay

you should also make sure the screw that adjusts your shift point is 1 1/2 turns out from snug. thats the factory setting on the 2 speed trans. as of right now you have no idea where it is set at.

I didn't read all the posts here but I will say if your motor is not tuned right, the trany will not shift right ... its all linear

Ha that didnt work think i reduced them too much and i cant find how to edit my post took me half hour to reduce them flippin files!!! Cigarette break!!
Jay

Hey buddie, I also forgot to mention, check the tension on your slipper nut before you do anything else.

I've had happen to me where the tension backs of a little and the tranny wont shift even though the truck drives fine.

Tightened the nut down and it shifted fine.

All tightened mate!! Religiuosly check before every run after I had a slipper go after only 3 tanks. Are the pics ok or shal i resize them and post again?
Cheers Jay

Got another question
Is my truck supposed to be sat that low?
Cheers Jay

looks like u or the guy before u lowered it by putting fuel line in bedin the shock thing in the shock shock body and may i ask what wheels u runing

Some sort of goliath thing mate. The shocks sit like that when you rest the truck down. But they extend full and the shocks feel normal they just don't rebound. Is this something to do with oil or do I need harder springs?
Jay

Members online

No members online now.
Back