GH Shock Tower Install + BONUS Big-Bore Mount Mod!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THE JUDGE

I finally recieved the last thing on my wish list today...a pair of Golden Horizons #02026, "Shock Tower II" for the Savage X. I had been looking at lots of different aluminum towers for the purpose of running with only 4 shocks (the plastic towers are pretty flexy with 4 shocks IMO). So, I finally got some to go with my new HPI Big-Bore shocks, and figured out a better way to mount the shocks in the process. Read on...

I went with these GH towers because they had plenty of shock mounting positions (11), and they appeared to be very well-machined...they have the supports for the upper hingepins and the grooves for the bulkheads, just like the stock shock towers.
GHShockTowers001.jpg

Like with some other mods I have done, the first thing I did was weigh my new stuff vs. the stock plastic, because I figure I'm not the only one who wants to know this. Removing the stock towers on an X is easy...just remove the bulkhead, and pull the 2 remaining screws after also removing the upper shock mounts.
Now, here's the stock shock tower...1.2oz. each.
GHShockTowers002.jpg

The GH towers with the standoffs...2.7 oz. each, for a net weight gain of 3 ounces. I'll live with that...I have to!
GHShockTowers003.jpg

Upon installing the new towers, I was pleased to find that they fit the bulkheads perfectly, with no wobbling or having to force them into place. The machining on the rears where they meet the bulkheads was also spot-on.
GHShockTowers004.jpg

GHShockTowers005.jpg

The tower all bolted on and ready for shocks...Overall, I am VERY happy with the fit and quality of these GH parts.
GHShockTowers006.jpg

Here's where the project took a turn....I really didnt like how the Big-Bores' springs rubbed against my HPI adjustable upper control arms. Here's how far away the upper mount was away from the tower with the spring barely touching the arm. The standoffs (which make the towers the same thickness as stock) wouldn't be anywhere close even then.
GHShockTowers007.jpg

So I started digging in the spares (again), and came up with this:
-A 3x25mm screw, with nut and washer
-The 2 plastic spacers I was previously using on the upper mounts
-Some odd plastic spacer that came with the shocks
GHShockTowers008.jpg

I then screwed it all together, in this order: Flatwasher, shock eye, old spacer, control arm, old spacer, new spacer, control arm, nut. Assembled this way, I used the spacers to strengthen the lower control arm mount as I moved the shock eye in front of the arm, thus moving the spring away from the upper arm. The screw goes right to the end of the nut and no farther, so it leaves enough room for even a slightly bent dogbone.
Here's how the fronts looked...
GHShockTowers009.jpg

The rears...
GHShockTowers010.jpg

Here's another shot of the rear. Check the spring clearance!
GHShockTowers011.jpg

The upper mount was pretty much the same way I had it before ( Link ), except that I didn't have to use any spacers...Again, the GH towers with the standoffs are the same width as the stock towers. One of these days, I'll get shorter screws and ditch the standoffs on the shock-less sides of the towers, but I'm cool with this for now.
GHShockTowers012.jpg

I'm ready to beat on them, as well as all the other stuff I recently added.
GHShockTowers015.jpg

GHShockTowers014.jpg

GHShockTowers013.jpg

Thanks for looking, please comment and discuss!

Last edited by a moderator:
ive been looking for some new tires, what tires are they on your truck judge i keep seeing them but don't know what they are lol

p.s... sorry guys for going off topic was just curious about the rims and tires thats all!!!!! and great review and explanation on how you mounted them!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I was looking at the pics again and noticed that in picture number 9 the bolt doesnt extend past the locking part of nut. are you going to use a longer bolt, or did you thread lock it?cornfused

Thanks guys!
ive been looking for some new tires, what tires are they on your truck judge i keep seeing them but don't know what they are lol

p.s... sorry guys for going off topic was just curious about the rims and tires thats all!!!!! and great review and explanation on how you mounted them!!
They're Losi Zombie-Maxx tires on Maximizer 1/2' offset beadlocks...I love 'em!

I was looking at the pics again and noticed that in picture number 9 the bolt doesnt extend past the locking part of nut. are you going to use a longer bolt, or did you thread lock it?cornfused

Neither, really...The bolt actually ends up flush with the end of the locknut. That's a good thing, because if it was any closer to the dogbone it would concern me somewhat. The nuts are largely a safety measure anyways, as the bolts thread through the lower arms.

Neither, really...The bolt actually ends up flush with the end of the locknut. That's a good thing, because if it was any closer to the dogbone it would concern me somewhat. The nuts are largely a safety measure anyways, as the bolts thread through the lower arms.

Thats what i figured....maybe some thread lock just in case....better safe than sorry

Good work on finding a solution to the problem. Possibly this would be a use for the LST stand offs that IRC sells. CLICK HERE

Well, I changed the lower shock mounting around a bit...the way it was, the springs rubbed on the body a bit. So I moved the spacer behind the shock to the front, right behind the washer, and everything clears now. There's still a lot of room between the spring and upper A-arm.

Updated close-up:
GHShockTowers017.jpg

These are the shock towers that I have been looking for. I like them, they look to have alot of adjustment. Out of curiosity, what bead-lock rims and tires are you running. I have never ran a bead lock on any of my RC cars, what is the pros and cons of it?

Members online

Back