getting used to tuning

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dvinesquirrel

had my XL out today and it seems to be running way different then the previous week. i am about a half a gallon in on the motor. last week she was running strong and reliable, today i got it started and putted around a little then noticed the temps were running warm at first ( actually got to 315 right off the bat ) so i adjusted the needles to bring them back down around 260. once that was hashed out the idle wouldn't come down and the rpm seems to jump when I'm not giving her gas. i checked the idle screw and turning either direction seems to have no effect.
any thoughts? i hope i didnt screw anything up due to over heating

sounds like a possible air leak in carb or gas tank. more likely the carb, check the orings on the needles.

I was having the same problem when i got my XL... After break in, i started to lean it out....I decided to check my Orings on the Carb Shank... the lower one was split... i figured it was because they left the carb lock screw in the motor when the carb was installed tearing the oring, i replaced it. haven't had a problem since...

air leak

d-squirrel, sounds similar to how my x, first ran great then got sloppy. sealed the engine & WHAMMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! added a THS pipe and DOUBLE WHAMMO! Don't be afraid to tear her down & seal her up, i have very little mechanical experience, but the threads here will make it easy and give you immediate confidence.

Members online

Back