Getting ready to run my Savage X

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Motha Trucka

I bought my Savage X two years ago, I ran it the first year but I did'nt run it at all last year. I cleaned and oiled the air cleaner, and changed all the batteries. Should I take the truck apart and clean and lube the diffs, and tranny, or should i run it first, I've never taken the truck apart, and the instructions are'nt very clear to me? I've only run rc trucks for the one year so I'm not that knowledgable.
Thanks much,
Paul :duh:

Definitely break it down enough to make sure all is lubed. Did you keep it stored with after run oil? If not you may want to take a look at the engine to make sure she ain't rusted on the inside. It would be the crank and bearings most likely. Other than that just check the bearings all around and make sure she rolls free. Hit the bearings with some WD-40 if they are metal sheilded just for good measure. If I'm leaving something out guys, chime in!

Yeah I put lots of after run oil in the engine. As I've said I have never torn down the truck so is there anything I should be awear of? Are there any books that can walk me through he process step by step?
Paul

In that case, the engine should be good. Just make sure she rolls, get a new glow plug to save on headaches, clear out the eng with glow plug out, and fire her up!

Double-O-Zilch,
Well I took your advice, I took her out this mornning, and she's running GREAT. The outside temp was 83 degrees, I first ran it on short mowed grass with-out the body, after one tank of fuel I checked the engine temp with my heatgun and she was 216 degrees, after I let it cool down all the way I put the body on for the second run and after that tank of fuel she was 243 degrees, so I guess the temp is OK???? It has a nice blue stream of smoke comming out of the exhaust pipe!!.
Paul

Did you inspect the diffs? If the screws back out a little bit then the grease leaks out and you could be asking for trouble. Also WD-40 the inside of the transmission. The lube is good for the flippers that grab the gears and the bearings inside it.

Double-O-Zilch,
Well I took your advice, I took her out this mornning, and she's running GREAT. The outside temp was 83 degrees, I first ran it on short mowed grass with-out the body, after one tank of fuel I checked the engine temp with my heatgun and she was 216 degrees, after I let it cool down all the way I put the body on for the second run and after that tank of fuel she was 243 degrees, so I guess the temp is OK???? It has a nice blue stream of smoke comming out of the exhaust pipe!!.
Paul

Your temps are doing great. You have nothing to worry about where your at. I try to never let mine go over 270 and always try to get it to around 250 and running good.

Members online

No members online now.
Back