Getting back in the game, but here's some info that may help those looking for obsolete/hard to find parts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InTheZone

It's been a long time since I've been active in the R/C community, going on 15 years, but I still have my Savage SS, partially converted to X, and my almost fully upgraded Nitro RS4 2. Since doing some late research I've seen a lot of what's happened with HPI, spare parts support, and chinese cheap quality clones of HPI cars/parts. I bought my first electric car online a few days ago, an Xray T4, but in doing so I want to revive my Savage and fine tune my Nitro RS4 2. I will definitely be using the Savage again, not sure if I want the RS4 to stay a shelf queen (It has an unused TRX 3.3 motor with a silver Nova Race Pro cooling head and TSAIS tuned pipe, along with every other HPI upgrade part for the most part).

In the process of catching up and buying some newer heavy duty parts that I managed to find there were still some parts that I cannot find anywhere, ebay, amazon, or any retailer. Tower Hobbies seems like a shell of itself and doesn't seem to support much in the car/truck community but I found A Main Hobbies and they have a ton of HPI parts listed, but most are listed on back order. I called them up to ask them whether or not I can still get the parts or are they just listed for reference if anyone is trying to source parts. I don't remember the reps name, but he told me they do get the parts after they're requested, but it takes a while to get them. I named off several parts I was interested in like the Savage Sway Bar set, Heavy Duty front/center 8x77mm dogbone, High Speed Third Gear and some other things and the rep said he has a few orders placed for everything I named, but it could take several months to get them.

So for those that think all parts are gone forever you can still order them, just don't expect them anytime soon unless HPI manages to speed up their recovery process. I feel bad for being gone so long and seeing all the changes in the industry, but for a second I felt like I actually lost something close when I heard my childhood r/c company has closed it's doors a few years back (just to find out that they're still in the game, just a shell of it's former self). Sorry if this was longer than you'd like.

Welcome back.

Brushless seems to have saturated us. Even associated is a shell of it's former self. You know, the RC10GT?!? No longer listed on their site for sale. Surprised traxxas hasn't dropped nitro.

I felt the same way about HPI when they went under... as I had an X on the shelf not needing anything, but then became afraid to drive it for a couple years. Partly why I myself started running electric in the end of 2017. Then I heard murmurs of HPI making a come back... so I got a used flux HP. Then it got tough to find some stuff again, or the prices were high from part outs on ebay. I still have the X and a drawer full of parts. Will use what rc4me.us can get if I decide to run them again.

Can still fill the nitro void with my revo's.

thanks, but it's hard to tell what is fake vs 100% genuine as I see a lot of things that look exactly like what I found on the knockoff sites, especially when it comes to ring gears and diffs. Sure most of the stuff comes from china or wherever, but there is a vast difference in manufacturing quality.

Have you tried their xl hardened steel cvds vs the super heavy duty dogbones? I just bought some super hd dogbones from kits, but I'm wondering if I should've gone with cvds.

Nope. The parts I've gotten are the super 5sc transmission with center diff and the steering/servo saver assembly as well as some shock ends for the big bores. They don't feel like OEM HPI parts, but they fit fine and the gears in the transmission are holding up well.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back