getting a new motor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buckshot

hi I'm replacing my picco .26 outlaw with an axial .28. I'm going to order the motor tonight. i plan on reuseing the ofna 3 shoe clutch and flywheel.
is this a good idea or should i buy all new? the clutch and flywheel are in great shape yet.
also what plug would be the best the break/run the axial motor.
i just bash my savage 21 and was thinking of a 18t clutch bell and 49t spurr. will this be to much top end for bashing or would a 16t/49t be better?
I'm going to use the same hot bodies tuned pipe i bought years ago but going to add a new header.
is there anything else i may be missing to get this new motor set up? i would like to order everything i need at one time and get it right. i do have a temp gauge to make sure the motor dosn't to hot. thanks for any suggestions as this will be my first new motor in 4 yrs. hehe

Congrats you will be happy. I would get a new clutch, flywheel, and springs. May just be me but I like starting new. I highly recommend a NOVA Clutch , a Stock HPI Flywheel, and Mugen 1.0 Springs. That is what I run on my Axial .28 and it rocks. I am also running a 18/49 gearing and it is a good all around gearing IMO. As far as the pipe I use a stock HPI tuned pipe, but it will soon be replaced with a THS pipe. You will of course need a pilot nut(the HPI one is fine) and it is smart to put a shim in between the front bearing and the flywheel. It protects the bearing. I use The Real McCoy glow plugs. I always use a medium glow plug which is an MC-8. Keep a close eye on your temps mine wanted to run 300-330. I sealed my engine and am going to see if that fixed it. The Axial .28 should run 250-260 tops. It'll settle down after about a gallon but I was going full throttle after 8 tanks and it ran amazing. One more thing I thought I would let you know is I use Trinity Monster Horsepower 20% and I am very pleased. My one way bearing is still strong after a gallon and it does a great job of lubricating. I believe Xjeepguy uses Sidewinder 30% so it's really up to you what fuel you want to use.

Here are the links to some parts

Nova Clutch Shoes

HPI 3-Pin Flywheel

Mugen 1.0mm Clutch Springs

HPI 18-Tooth Hardened Racing Clutch Bell

McCoy MC8 Glow Plug
[MC8]

HPI 5x10x0.5mm Shims, 10pc

Last edited by a moderator:
i also use trinity moster hp and i like the fuel. i was planing on staying with the fuel. i will get the McCoy mc8 plug with the motor tonight. the stock pipe that came with my savage was not a tuned pipe. mind you i bought this truck 5-6 yrs ago when the savage 21 was first introduced. thank you for the info and i will look into the clutch and flywheel. the stock flywheel i have is only 2 shoe and i went to a 3 shoe alum many years ago aswell. i still have a new pack of afna alum shoes with springs i also bought 4 yrs ago. (i bought a spare bag not knowing how long the shoes would last. so maybe ill just get a new flywheel rather then pulling the old one off the picco motor. the picco motor still runs fine despite its over 4 yrs old but I'm tierd of the motor. it seems i always have to retune it and play with it . getting it running can also be a real pain. ill keep it for a spare being it only has maybe 2-3 gallons on it.

bah, if the exsisting clutch set up is in good condition why waste money buying a whole new setup.

there not hard to remove and wont take long to change over. i say keep it til its packs in and then get a new one.

i would get the sts clutch shoes...

hi i got my new motor now and I'm working on sealing the engine. i noticed the mtor came with restrictors to insert into the carb air opening. do i use these for break in? the directions don't say to use them. only to idle the motor for 2 tanks and run it 1/2 throttle for 2 tanks. what is recommended here? thank you buckshot!

Many different ways of brake in!!! (everyone does it different) I would let the engine idle for 3 tanks or so, another tank of blipping the throttle and Idle...(I always let the engine cool down and set the piston at BOTTOM DEAD CENTER.. you can mark the flywheel and or take the glow plug out to do this. ) after the 3 tanks run a FEW tanks at half throttle (very the rpm's)
after 6 or 7 tanks, after the 6 or 7 tanks I run some quick full throttle runs. (always put the piston and BDC.. that's what I do other people will tell u different tho. ) have fun and keep us posted

OOOh by the way I would take the restricts out there useless IMO

thank you for the advice on break-in. i like the idea of a longer break-in. the new motor is in the truck now and set-up maybe tomorrow i'll get it out and start the breakin. i will also leave the restrictor out i already put the filter on without it. :) ill post back again after i start it up.

the restrictors, as posted in another thread somewhere are really for racing, the smallest opening giving good bottom end, but poor top end, great fuel economy, for short twisty tracks, the medium being a balance and no restrictor being all out power at the top end and poor fuel economy, but who cares about that. i have read reports of tuning being a pita when running restrictors. as sj said piston at bdc after running the mill is a mus, imo-it should make the engine run longer before a new piston/liner is needed.

i got a chance to start the motor up today. i can;t seem to keep it running.it runs for s short bit then stalls. the highest temp i got was 210f. i burnt about 1/2 tank and a sware 1/4 of that is in a puddle under the pipe. i am useing an mc8 plug and its about 40f with a 20 mph wind. before i came in after it stalled again i pulled the plug and it was wet then made sure the motor was at bdc. i could use some advice or maybe what to do with it from here. i think i need to lean it out some but its at factory settings. thanks buckshot

its dieing because its loading up( too much fuel in the crankcase ) thats normal lean the lsn out just a hair... keep w/ it it will get better... also might want to run a hotter plug during brakin.. mc59

that's what breakin is all about. ya there is a lot of fuel lost. it protects the engine. hurts the eyes also. turn up the throttle enough on the radio to keep it running. it's the easiest way. if your a novice don't play with the needles.

Give the throttle a little blip now and again. It gets rid of the excess fuel. Does it stall just idling or when you run it?

i only have about 1 tank threw the motor now. i came in since it started snowing rather hard. i have the motor at a fast idle and it sounds good but just dies.some times it runs for 45 sec.- 1 min other times about 15 sec. seems alittle strange but its been a long time since i broke in one of these motors. its not getting very hot 210 was the hottest but mostly its about 170ish.cool enough i can hold the head with getting burnt and it has lots of fuel blowing out of the pipe so i guess its ok ill just keep at it but another day.

your doing just fine everything sounds like its ok there bud

if it's snowing you might need to put a piece of aluminum foil around part of the head to keep in some heat. but it sounds good. just a pain.

if it's snowing you might need to put a piece of aluminum foil around part of the head to keep in some heat. but it sounds good. just a pain.
I actually recommend zip tieing a small rag instead of aluminum foil. Because my truck took off on me when I did that. I even had a fail-safe, weird huh? I will never use tin foil again though.:duh:

break in is going much better today! by the time it got maybe 1/4 way into the 2nd tank it just stayd running and got hot. the motor stayed about 260ish all the way through the 2nd tank. took 2 hours to get through the tank but it stayed running and didn't overheat so I'm happy time for a 3rd tank. thank for the help! buckshot

I have about 10 tanks threw the motor now. the axial .28 runs great. i am having trouble getting 2nd gear working so I'm going to do the replace some of the 2 speed parts. the truck dosn;t wheelie but it has alot of power. i think once i get 2nd gear to work again the motor will give me a lot of fun! i all ready like it alot more then my picco outlaw even tho the picco seems to run the truck all most as strong when the picco runs ;). thank you for the advice and help here!

Latest posts

Members online

Back