General racing set up help.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pope

Wanted to get a thread started with helpful tips for anyone who is trying to get there savage set up for racing. Please feel free to chime in with any set up tips you may have.

Here are a few I picked up.

1. Mid-tank mod: Does away with half tank lean
2. Hpi suspension conversion: Gives the savage the handling of a truggy
3. Thicker diff fluid in front thinner in rear: Keeps the power on the track by preventing the diffs from unloading all your power if a tire looses traction
4. Shock mods to lower the truck: Lowers center of gravity
5. Soft suspension: To prevent pouncing
6. Sway bars: Helps keep all four wheels on the ground
7. Match tires to the track: Inproves overall handling and proformance

Just a start. Help out here guys. There are much better people here than I to explain all of this.

1. Length. Helps to keep the front end down.
2. Width also helps keep the truck planted. No too crazy like full offset wheels though. Either half offset wheels or XL outers. Too wide you will break uprights.
3. Shave weight get rid of things that you will not really need. Not too much aluminum. Helps with speed, and fuel economy.
4. Ofna throttle mod to be better able to fine tune your brakes, and no throttle lag.
5. Gearing set it so that you have good acceleration, and a goo top end.
6. Toe settings, and camber. You need to make sure they are the same on the rear, and the fronts are the same otherwise you truck will want to go everywhere, but where you want it to.
http://www.rc-truckncar-tuning.com/rc-suspension-tuning.html

I am sure I can come up with more later.

My race savage setup.

Big bore shocks with Blue springs upfront and pink in the back.
level arms with 5mm of shock droop in front and 7mm in rear.
20k diff oil in front and 10k in rear
Fioroni twin turbo clutch
Sway bars w/ 2mm bars front and rear.

For racing I recomend a two speed trans, HPI suspension conversion, mid-tank mod, ext tvp's, and a wing.

This just an quick break down there is alot more to the truck but that is general info that can be used on all savage's with minimal costs.

Latest posts

Members online

Back