Gear Tightness Be Gone!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DOOBEEWHA

HPISF languist expert
--------------------------GEARS TOO TIGHT!!.... SAY IT ISN'T SO!!------------------------------------------

================================TRY THIS OUT!========================================

Works for CB/Spur gear combo's that are:
49/19 - 49/20 - 52/18 - 52/19

(Not sure about 52/20) but very likely.

Take your engine out out of the truck.
Find a flat and true surface like a table saw or marble counter top, thick glass table, ect. Prefferablly a surface
that won't warp from pressure.

Now.. Take a sheet of 250 grit sand paper and tape it down to the surface your working on, with the tape on
all four sides.

What were going to to do here is, remove some matterial off the bottom of the engine mount
By doing this, you can effectively create more adjustment room for the engine to seat with the CB and spur
gear. When sanding, you only want to take off very thin layers away at a time.

I would take a sharpie and ink out the base of the engine mount surface and use it as a guide to how much
matterial is being removed.

Be sure to apply EVEN pressure as you sand.

(Supplement) Quote -Komodo67:
We remove material all the time at the machine shop in this fashion...the best way to assure even removal of
material, is to sand in small figure-eights...and, as mentioned, use something very hard and very flat underneath
the sandpaper...End Quote

------------YOU DON'T WANT TO MAKE THE ENGINE MOUNT OUT OF SQUARE OR WOBBLEY.--------------------

Each time you have remove the ink, re-install the engine and bolt up to see your progress. Still tight? Re-ink and
repeat. Check again.
I don't think it will take very much material sanding if the engine is able to already mesh up tightly. Just get your
gears to relax abit.

After doing this a couple of times, you'll have a better sense of how much matterial needs to be removed.
If needed, re-ink the base and repeat.
If you feel its a long ways to get the surface down, use your best judgement on the next amount of matterial to
take off.

---------------------------------------- AND KEEP IT SQUARE. ---------------------------------------------

After your done, Be preppared to re-adjust the throttle linkage a little shorter to compensate for your new engine
mount height.
This Mod does not take into account, the posibillity of incompatible Gear meshes.
Propper meshabillity of CB and Spur, falls on the installer of said CB/Spur Gear Combinations.
You may find it nessessary to bevel the TVP where the header rests on the chassis when going for the biggest gear
combos.

Mod or not,....
I think its a good idea to do this bevel cut anyway because it stops the groove indentation on the headder.
A dremel sanding drum works great for this.

This mod simply creates the clearance for the application.
This mod should not have an effect on the usabillity of the other HPI CB/spur combo's

On that note... This mod will lower your CG a tad.
================================And that ain't bad.======================================

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you.

Thats great, z400.
I wish you all the luck. It should be a piece of cake

don't for get,...KEEP IT SQUARE. (and read the fine print.lol)

don't for get,...KEEP IT SQUARE. (and read the fine print.lol)

---------------------------------------- AND KEEP IT SQUARE. ---------------------------------------------

Vey, very fine print I could hardly read it.

eh... Hey FX.
I meant this print...

After your done, Be preppared to re-adjust the throttle linkage a little shorter to compensate for your new engine
mount height.
This Mod does not take into accoount, the posibillity of incompatible Gear meshes.
Propper meshabillity of CB and Spur, falls on the installer of said CB/Spur Gear Combinations.
It may be nessessary to bevel the TVP where the header rests on the chassis when going for the biggest gear
combos, ect.

Hey there is another way to do this also doob ..

Take some washers and spread the tvp out on the exhaust side.. also take a dermal to the engine plate and make the adjustment holes wider . I ran a 18/52 no problem by doing this ....

Hey SJ, How ya do'in, bro.
I''m not quite sure I follow what you mean.

How is the motor plate being made weaker, as you say?
The motor plate is left untouched, in this mod.

The sanding that's is being done is off of the BASE of the motor mount.
The motor mount is stout enough to withstand the removal of a couple of mm of material. IMO

I'm not sure on all the stress factors with these parts but the motor mount seems pertty stout
while the motor plate is prone to cracking.

This mod does not require any dremelling of the motor plate holes.

In fact, the mod add's more adjustable area by reducing the amount of distance needed to
messh the gears.

Does this help in my explaination?

we remove material all the time at the machine shop in this fashion...the best way to assure even removal of material, is to sand in small figure-eights...and, as mentioned, use something very hard and very flat underneath the sandpaper...

still have to try this doobee, I'm running a tight mesh on my 4.6
18/52 and it still wheelies, ya baby. why gear down? make more room.
thanks to SJ too I like his idea also.

yea the mod is a must with 20/49, this mod is AWESOME!

20/49 with wheelies into 3rd

i tried it, and its done. i used 60 grit sand paper and then jumped to 220, i did this on a 12x12" square of sand paper taped to a garage concrete floor

Wow thats excellent, z4!!
A little risky on the concrete floor thing, but it worked for you. That cool, bud.
Your the first testimonial report, bro.

Many thanks for the feedback, Z400.

yea it was a little crazy. i was basically right over the top of the engine the whole time while i was making the figure 8 design.

no prob doob

Komodo's reccommendation to do the figure 8's was good advice.

it was the only sanding config i used, but yea it worked well id say

Do you think a 20/52 will will work also?

How much did you take off?

Did you need to adjust the linkage abit?

20/55? oh man I'm not even sure

55 is big.

i cant really sya how much i took off in a measurement because I'm not sure on the measurement. but i took off about the thickness of what a nickel is

20/55? oh man I'm not even sure

took off about the thickness of what a nickel is
I bet that gave ya some room....

How about the linkage? Did you need to adjust it?

I'm happy about your reesults, Z400
Wheelies in 3rd gear.. like to see some vids on that one if ya ever get the chance.
What mill are ya runn'in?

your running a 20/49 set up doing wheelies into third gear.

lets see 49 / 20 = 2.45 gear ratio, wow I bet that trucks fast.

Id love to see the video this performance, what engine are you useing?

lol it doesnt seem like you guys beleive me too much. haha

its the k4.6, I'm runnin 20/47
and it REALLY does do wheelies into 3rd
i only have 1 video of it, some good ol' drag racing
but the video is 5+ minutes long
i'll take another video and keep it around a minute or less.
i mean, how many minutes do you need to prove a 3rd gear wheelie lol

we beleave, I'm running same engine in mine. I was useing a 52/18 = 2.88888888888888888888888888 doing wheelies like

crazy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEJLtBmUsbg

I just went to a 47/18 = 2.611111111111111111 I havnt tested the gear change yet. ran out of nitro. O ya still

running rich on the high needle too.

so you see we beleave you .

we just love to see new videos.

Members online

No members online now.
Back