Gas?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam1983

Hi everyone I'm new to the rc world. I am wondering if anyone has switched to a 2-cycle gas engine. just wondering if its possible.

first off welcome to the forum, secondly i would imagine its possible if your "handy" enough but I'm not sure, but thought i would say hello.....

welcome to the forum
its definately possible to put a gas engine in a savage might need to work up some way to mount it I'm not sure if you could just drop one in

welcome to the site. It is an interesting question that you have. I would say if you have the time and the money then try it and let use know haw it gose. iIf you get it going then you can make a kit and make some extra cash!!!!!!!! Good luck and god speed man

welcome adam. why not just go with the nitro? they rip!

Thanks everyone , the reason I ask is cause nitro is 37.99/gal at my LHS. unl. 87 octane is 1.86/gal in my area. just open to new fun ideas.

Man those gas engines sound awesome! Makes me want to start a new project too; but I need to finish my XSS and save money. It'd be cool to build a frankenstein gas MT out of already existing parts & custom made parts.. 8x Bigbores? rockout

ok ok both you and the voices in my head are saying the same thing.....guess i gotta start lookin for an engine.... :yellowhack:

@big worm

I don't know what you, or others from the forum have access to, but if you're serious about doing something like this I may be able to help out. I've got access to aluminum & other raw materials, steel, delrin, etc. Plus machinery like mills, lathes, whatever. I wouldn't charge anything besides shipping and raw material costs (might even be free materials depending on what I can find in our 'scraps' stock). I'd just need detailed drawings to machine something up (and the free time to do so of course).

to keep it small you would need to make the engine part of the frame, ie cut a savage into 3 parts, toss the middle, and mount the engine/transmission there

the engines are really big, bigger than the savage engine & transmission

I've not seen any 4wd kits for the 5b/5t yet either, all the parts on the 1/5 scale are quite a bit thicker/stronger

but nothing I've found jumps like a savage

Now this is a good topic.Ive thought about it to.
1 do you get more power out of nitro or gas?(same size engine)
2 Buy hooking up a ignition . Could you not convert a nitro to gas?

Now this is a good topic.Ive thought about it to.
1 do you get more power out of nitro or gas?(same size engine)
2 Buy hooking up a ignition . Could you not convert a nitro to gas?

1: no

2: no

What does no mean.
If i had a 4.6 nitro , and a 4.6 gas.
Wich one would be more powerfull?
A nitro motor is a two stroke desil.
With mods to compresion and adding a ignition , you could in therory convert to gas.
Ive seen ignition being installed on 4 stroke nitro planes.

you can do it! i've seen it done for airplane nitros. i'll try looking for the magazine article. i would'nt mind doing it to my savage 4.6 but i think it's not as powerful as nitro and has a limit to the RPM. i've only seen it done on a four stroke though. what are your thoughts about it. cheaper fuel? longer engine life? less maintenance? let me know...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back