Fx's Axial .28 Review

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fx

I have had my Axial .28 for a while now and wanted to share my thoughts on it. Before I begin I will list the parts I used on my Axial .28, this includes anything that is important to the engines performance

Fuel - Trinity Monster Horsepower 20%
Glow Plug - The Real McCoy MC-8
Flywheel - Stock HPI Flywheel
Clutch Springs - Mugen 1.0mm Springs
Clutch Shoes - Aluminum Nova 3 Shoe Clutch (No Weights)
Clutch Bell - Robinson Racing 18 Tooth Clutch Bell
Pipe - Stock HPI Tuned Pipe
Gearing - 18/49

The Crack Down

Low End- 9/10
Comments- Just as I rated it, hauls butt from a dead stop.

Mid-Range - 9/10
Comments- If you are a good tuner the Axial .28 has a mid-range needle. The stock setting for the mid-range is good, but once I tuned it it really shined.

High End
- 7/10
Comments- Just as I heard, the Axial .28's top end was good but when compared to other high end motors the Axial lacks a screaming high end. Don't misunderstand me, the Axial flys big time but I have run engines that have more top end than the Axial .28 so that is why it gets 7/10

Tuning - 10/10
Comments- The Axial .28 is easy to tune, and holds a tune like no other.

Price - 10/10
Comments- At $110 can you go wrong? I think not.

Price To Performance - 10/10
Comments- You get amazing performance for an amazing price.

Quality - 9/10
Comments- The engine sports some beefy internals but there was one problem I had. A few air leaks were found in the carb and the back plate. Not to worry all I did was seal the engine (Which is easy, the hardest part is waiting for it the dry) and I was good. Those air leaks were the only thing preventing it from getting a 10/10.

Final Thoughts

The Axial .28 was easy to break-in and the needles were all in the right range. I began going full throttle and was impressed by the power of this engine. Once break-in was finished I began tuning it and once again was impressed by the how easy it was to tune. I have put a gallon through it and is still running strong. Great pinch, tons of power and still easy to tune. The Axial .28 sports a 3 needle carb, low end, mid range, high end, and an idle. Bottom line, the Axial .28 is a true performer. It is a fast, strong, reliable engine and in my opinion is one of the best engines out there. I would recommend this engine to anyone in a heart beat. Whether it be a beginner or a seasoned veteran it as a great engine for anyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your layout in which you approached your review is perfect. You told what you did , what your using and how you went about it. You took your time explaining. I'm sure it will help others wanting to know or just learning what to expect.

thx, - FX

wonder how much of an improvement it'll be when I run mine with the OS plug, and the THS pipe recommended by the forum mods :D

W/ the nova shoes,and no weights how does yours take off, Mine revs and then slams into drive ...

The Mugen springs hold the shoes back a little. Mine revs as well and then hooks up good. I am going to add a the small weights to the innermost hole.

buyin 1 tomarrow

Savage012.jpg

Just wondering if my stock .21 clutch and fly wheel will work ??or am I buyin all new stuff..Pipe for sure ..but didnt wanna spend too much more ..am I askin for trouble ?or what?..thanks ..I'm also new on here

awya14 said:
Just wondering if my stock .21 clutch and fly wheel will work ??or am I buyin all new stuff..Pipe for sure ..but didnt wanna spend too much more ..am I askin for trouble ?or what?..thanks ..I'm also new on here
It will all fit fine but you want to get stronger clutch springs. A .28 is way more powerful than a .21 so get 1.0mm springs. If you use the stock ones your truck will go forward more when idling because you need stronger springs. I typed this in a rush, hope it makes sense.

os plugs

Back to the os plug, aren't they much shorter than regular plugs thus lowering your compression?

Back to the os plug, aren't they much shorter than regular plugs thus lowering your compression?

Can't say for sure...if they are shorter then yes, they would lower the compression. Anyone know if they are shorter?

I don't have a mic at my house but just eyeballing one that I have next to a dynamite plug it seems to be about .100" shorter or about the thickness of the brass spacer that goes in between the head

So I figured I would give you guys a quick update before I jam out of the house. I still own the same Axial .28 and it performs almost as good as it did when I bought it. I have put a little over 4 gallons of Monster Horsepower 20% in this engine. Performance is virtually the same. The pinch has gone down a little, but not much. That's to be expected after 4 gallons. I installed the Nova cooling head and have not run it yet but I'm sure I will see the temps drop. Other than that nothing to report. It runs like it's brand new. What more could you want from an engine?

That's good to hear...I have 2 of them...one in my Savage and another in a Dominator...for the price, you definitely can't beat the performance and the lifespan!!

How much more power do these have compared to the K4.6?

i don't think they have much more power but they have a higher rpm and there for more speed if you want power get an axial .32 thats what i have its great. and nice review fx!
thanks
4x4

I've never run a K4.6 but just from watching some vids I would say the Axial .28 preforms much better. It could be that the K4.6s I saw weren't tuned right, idk. But I think Axial .28s run a hell of a lot better than K4.6s.

I've never run a K4.6 but just from watching some vids I would say the Axial .28 preforms much better. It could be that the K4.6s I saw weren't tuned right, idk. But I think Axial .28s run a hell of a lot better than K4.6s.

I have both mills

the k is a good motor with lots of lowend power, the axial has just as much lowend and a little more on the topend.

I missed this review. Very well written. Have you had any trouble with your MRN moving on its own? Either in or out.

I missed this review. Very well written. Have you had any trouble with your MRN moving on its own? Either in or out.
No I never had any issue with any of the O-rings. I have heard people say that some needles on Axial engines tend to move in and out by themselves.

nice review FX, glad to see your mill is still kickin it for ya (even after your hiatus)

Great review FX. I had to seal my carb due to an air leak, may take it off and seal the back plate just to be safe. My mid-speed needle does have a tendancy to walk, but a little blue lock tite and its seems to have it fixed pretty nicely. These motors are great, plenty of power to bash or race with.

Dude, I'm not sure if you have read my thread on thinking of getting a new mill ( Axial .28 Spec 1 ) but you just made me get it, like iv heard bad things & good things about the axial .28 spec 1 but you have explained it all.

The one problem people were saying was the air leaks and bam all you have to do is seal it !

So i think when pay day rolls around ill be getting my self the Axial .28 spec1 ..

Thanks !
https://www.hpisavageforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11555

Dude, I'm not sure if you have read my thread on thinking of getting a new mill ( Axial .28 Spec 1 ) but you just made me get it, like iv heard bad things & good things about the axial .28 spec 1 but you have explained it all.

The one problem people were saying was the air leaks and bam all you have to do is seal it !

So i think when pay day rolls around ill be getting my self the Axial .28 spec1 ..

Thanks !
https://www.hpisavageforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11555

No problem bud, I'm glad it helped you out. Have fun with you new engine and if you need any help send me a message or give me a call.

Great review I have the same motor and I don't think I could have said it better. Since this was posted so long ago how many gallons have you run through it and does it still run as good as when it was new?

Great review I have the same motor and I don't think I could have said it better. Since this was posted so long ago how many gallons have you run through it and does it still run as good as when it was new?

I just finished the 7th gallon today. I'll be starting on the 8th soon. It doesn't run as good as the day I bought it but it runs pretty great for an older motor. Compression is still good but the pinch has gone down a tad.

Latest posts

Members online

Back