fuel type

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaceracer

Hey guys new to the forum and just purchased a brand new XL 5.9 and want to know what fuel I should break it in on and stay with. I've owned alot of rc but have always been on the fence about what would be best for the truck not just for me. I was thinking of going with the Byron Gen 2 rtr 20% looking for good performance and longevity of motor life but any suggestions would be awesome thanks.

I like sidewinder 20% or backyard basher 20% ( same stuff, just more oil). With either of these, you don't need after run oil. Although i do still spray some wd-40 in the engine jusr to be sure.

Welcome to the forum!

Byron fuel is quite popular. Like rcnut, I use Sidewinder. Basher blend.

Byrons is GOOD fuel... But I use Sidewinder Basher Blend 20% in my RC Trucks, my LHS guys gets it for me and I have used it almost exclusively for a very long time.... also use the wd 40 in the engine to help displace any moisture in there before storing it

I've been using Byron's 20% for years now. haven't raced in over 10 years, so I don't run the 30% like I used to. I've tried many fuels over the years, Byron's is my personal favorite. I haven't tried sidewinder yet, it may be better. I may try it one day, just my lhs(an hour away lol) carries a good stock of byron's.

well since I live where no hobby shop carries what I want and its way to expensive to order online i guess I will go with the master basher 20! I've seen good reviews nothing really bad you don't have to use after run oil and they stock it 20 min from me what do you guys think? Also why did hpi discontinue there fuels? I never have ran them but just curious.

I am beginning to learn some things after my first three weeks in this hobby, and one is the important of quality fuel. I think the flash point of the oil is what's most important not the %. In other words, I would prefer to run a true castor oil-based lubricant (seeing as it provides the best protection against high-heat and stress). The downside is the black carbon buildup on various valves and piston.

I think as long as you are cautious, ensure you aren't running some low-end 'Basher fuel' and use common sense when maintaining your engine, there is little difference other than aroma.

So are you guys saying you can tell the difference between 20%, 25% and 30%? Same brand of fuel?? Like the old Pepsi taste tests back in the day, are you saying you could run the vehicle (not knowing the percentage) and accurately be able to distinguish among the percent types? Again, I'm not saying there isn't a difference, I'm questioning as to if you guys can tell what fuel % when running?

FWIW, my favorite aroma of fuel is Losi Nitrotane (and it appears to be quality fuel as well)

There will always be some variability in the fuel mixes, because this is hobby grade. Not medical. Because of this, for instance, some 20% may actually be 22% and so on. Assuming that, yes, some of the mixes may seem quit close in performance. However, I would always argue that if you have been tuning for a while and can't tell that your engine is now running on a different percentile of nitro that something is wrong. Remember that the difference between running fantastic and running ok to bad is razor thin tune wise on some engines. So yes, if you have always been running 20% and someone slips your truck 30% you should be able to tell the difference.

I guess, but I'd have to gain an ear for it, I imagine. What do you run, and could you post an example? This way if you run 20%, then someone could post there's running 30%.Also I've heard about the difference in good vs great being a fine line. What exactly is the difference though? I sure want to make sure I get my engine to do it. ;-)

You misunderstand. The difference comes when comparing the same engine with two different nitro percent fuels. If you have two different people post videos with different fuels they may seem different. However it is more likely that those two trucks are tuned appropriately for those fuels and all you will see/ hear is a great running truck.

If you change the fuel percentage in the same engine, assuming you change nothing else, you will notice a change in operating temperature, smoke and performance. These will all likely be changes for the bad.

Thanks, I think I understand but perhaps not being clear. My thinking is there are many, many things (including the weather, no?) that will affect the engines performance. So in the scenario you drive it tuned with 20% then the nitro fairy changes it to 30%, while I understand it's possible to know A change occurred...it's what change--in this example additional nitro %--changed is difficult. Knowing this over it being a different/fouled glow plug, expired fuel, air leak, different exhaust/manifold, slipping clutch, fuel filter, worn engine bearings, carb restrictor, leak in tank cap seal, pinched/punctured fuel line, etc etc) Any one or more of those would require the air/fuel mixture flow to be adjusted so the engine back into its optimized state (as prior to the 'change'), It just seems extremely difficult for someone to say "Yep, it's changed nitro %". I would just think there are disparate causes to the same symptom. i.e. Too much air/less fuel would cause the engine to bog down, but there are many things that could cause more air and/or less fuel reaching the engine. Hopefully that makes sense Obviously if you say are able to I have no reason to disbelieve you, it's seems very skillful.

I agree that there are a variety of reasons for lost performance. The key is in a person's troubleshooting ability.

As a troubleshooter myself, I appreciate the following quote: " Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."

Latest posts

Members online

Back