Fuel recomendations for stock Savage X 4.6

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregW

Within the next couple of weeks I'll be getting one of these trucks to run along with my sons nitro and electric trucks.

It'll be a brand new truck fresh outa the box. I want to make sure that I start and continue to use really high quality fuels.

We'll be bashing and chasing each other around areas we find to run. The temps down here are ranging from 45-65 degrees right now but will be jumping up in the 80s+ in March/April and crazy hot after that.

What are the fuels that you recomend for us?

The two lhs are inconsistent with what they carry so most likely I'll be mail ordering. I'm hoping that my son's nitro, T-Maxx 3.3, will run well on the same fuel that I'm going to use....sure would simplify things for us.

Thanks for you help.

byrons gen2 20% you don't need anything higher then that for stock. byron is by far the best ive use.

byrons gen 2, O donelles, trinity, and sidewinder has all been great fuels for me. Only fuel I won't run again is Blue Thunder

Thanks....any ideas where the best mail order place to get it is?

I see that Tower Hobbies doesn't carry that brand....at least I couldn't find it.

Also...what afterrun oil do you recomend?

I see the four gallon cases for sell at AMAINHOBBIES.com for $109 + shipping.

Does that sound about right????

(That's for the Byron Gen2 20%)

Last edited by a moderator:
I see the four gallon cases for sell at AMAINHOBBIES.com for $109 + shipping.

Does that sound about right????

Greg, let us know what they get you for on shipping... i'm expecting it to be big because it is Haz Mat. Although i hear that Byrons Gen 2 is about the best, it may be more cost-effective for you to run a brand offered at your LHS, like Trinity

(That's for the Byron Gen2 20%)

why is hpi fuel never recommended??? i use trinity anyways but i was just wondering.
idk about other, but my lhs recommended hpi when i bought my savage.. ran 2 quarts & switched to Trinity & my mill starts much easier & i get more consistent temps

yeah i've gone through 3 qts of hpi and just recently changed to trinity on my savage. i haven't ran my savage enough to notice a difference, but i definitely noticed a better outcome on my mg16...it runs way better than when i had it on hpi.

I'm still running backyard basher 20% and have had no problems.. and i like the added security of the extra oil (16%)

yeah the oil content in 20% hpi is 14%...but i changed to trinity 30% with oil content 12% because it was so highly recommended...i'm really so undecided right now. i don't know what to stick with???? HELP!

hpi use cater oil only and no sythetic oil blends...bottom line most fuels are better then hpi, traxxas, bluthunder.

I vote for Byrons gen 2 I run the gen 2 30% and get great tune and have never been unhappy with it.

Odonnells isn't bad either but I really preffer the Byrons gen 2

my uncle is a strict blue thunder guy. it dosent have the same kick as other engines but at least its not too much. stay away from trinity platinum i have seen three engines blow up from just 1 gallon of this stuff, but the regular is great. usually stay away from fuel that doesnt post their oil % like traxxas. sidewinder is great, i went from traxxas 20% to SW 30% and my temp dropped b/c of better oil. never go lower than 12% oil unless u have 150-200$ for an engine every season.

idk about other, but my lhs recommended hpi when i bought my savage.. ran 2 quarts & switched to Trinity & my mill starts much easier & i get more consistent temps

***Update***

Byron's Gen II 30% and McCoy #8 plugs (on recommendation by Bank & Purenitro) have increased the performance (and fun factor) on my mills in a way that i cant describe without swearing.

Also put this set up on my nephew's X rtr (sully212121 on hpisf) and watched his jaw drop when he ran it on Sunday.

***Update***

Byron's Gen II 30% and McCoy #8 plugs (on recommendation by Bank & Purenitro) have increased the performance (and fun factor) on my mills in a way that i cant describe without swearing.

Also put this set up on my nephew's X rtr (sully212121 on hpisf) and watched his jaw drop when he ran it on Sunday.

did you shim the head before you ran the 30% ?
i was going to pick up byron's 30% but the guy at the lhs to me not to unless i shimmed the head. any truth in this ?

right now i'm using byron's 20% with a mc59 plug and i love it, there was a huge improvement for me from the trinity 20%

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back