Frustrated... Trying to keep running

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sissabagama

Hi, looks like you are all so helpful and I was hoping you could give me a little advice. I recently got a used Savage 25 and can not seem to get it running. At first it was WAY out of tune and just wouldn't start. Ive gotten it to the point where it really wants to (if you know what I mean). The only way I can keep it running is if I blow into the exhaust return tube to force fuel into the carb. If I prime it by blowing into the tube until the fuel is half way through the tube, the roto start will prime it the rest of the way. Then I put the ignitor on and depending on the needle settings it will/won't start. If I continue to blow fuel into the carb it will start and run (tires turn though).
Which needle needs to be adjusted? Where should I start?

Welcome to the forum!. you have come to the right place to get your questions answered. there are a lot of great people here who will help you, so keep asking questions and we will get you there. Do not be surprised if people start asking you questions on different things you have, this is just to help you out.
So far it seems to me you may have a clog in your exhaust pipe, prevent the exhaust gasses from pressurizing the fuel tank. What kind of pipe do you have? Need to know this to see if the pipe will come apart so you can clean it.
It could also be you carb is dirty and gunked up. It would be a good idea to take the carb off and give that a real good cleaning.
Stick with it and do not get frustrated!!! Again welcome to the forum.

If I prime it by blowing into the tube until the fuel is half way through the tube, the roto start will prime it the rest of the way. Then I put the ignitor on and depending on the needle settings it will/won't start. If I continue to blow fuel into the carb it will start and run (tires turn though).
Which needle needs to be adjusted? Where should I start?
From what you described it sounds too lean if you need to force fuel into it to make it run but the roto will prime it. If the roto would not prime it Id side with the others that there is a blockage. But this sounds lean to me. I'm going to find the stock needle settings for you I'll post back.

The stock pipe comes apart easily. take it apart and clean it out really good. Clean the carb also and when bank gets the factory needle settings we can go from there

Factory
HSN - 4 1/2
LSN - 3

I'm at:
HSN - 2 1/2
LSN - 3 1/2

It runs now as long as it is warmed up and the ingitor is in place. When I remove the ignitor it dies...

Thanks for the help so far.

When I remove the ignitor it dies... <------ Get a new plug it's done.

I'd go 3 1/2HSN and 2 1/2 on the LSN As a start point

How long have you been into Nitro?

Could a member please post the 2 HPI tuneing Vids for Him to watch! Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
i had a simler proplem with 1 my shedy cars i bought wen i first began, but my wheels turned as i was pulling the pull corred, the clutch had burnt out or sumfing and was stuck on all the time so it just kept cuting out when it was on the floor, check the clutch

I've been into this about 36 hrs and let me tell you, it's going great (sarcasm).

Anyway, I've gotten it to start consistantly and adjusted the idle so the tires barely spin. Also cleaned the exhaust pipe (it was only a bit oily).

HSN - 3 1/2 out
LSN - 2 3/4 out

It still dies when I remove the ignitor. I did put in a new glow plug (mc-59) for the third time so far.

Does anybody have any more suggestions? Thanks for your help so far.

Try another plug type. If it wont stay running and it dies the second the ignitor is removed it is a bad plug or the wrong heat range to run. I don't know what Mc plug is the right one(s) for that mill. Sorry..

get rid of that composite pipe too. you can pick up a polished pipe from ebay fr 15-20$. the pressure port on that composite pipe gets blocked up if the engine is run too lean.

The MC-59 is a hot plug. You should be using a medium plug. MC-8 is a medium plug. That should work better for you as far as plugs go. That's what I used in my 25 motor. Also, check and make sure your air filter is dirty and clog. That hasn't been mentioned yet.

The MC-8 works better. The truck stays running now, although too fast. I can't seem to idle it down far enough to keep the tires from turning. Any suggestions now?
If the gap is not to big (idle screw) fatten up the LSN counter clockwise..

To Xtreamsavage :resp: Nice call my man
Yes, the air filter is very important to keep clean.

Thanks guys!

Truck runs now, tires don't turn when it's on the ground.

It only dies when I give it some gas. It feels like I'm Almost there. Just a few more needle adjustments. Going to review those videos a few more times and hopefully I'll have it.

Glad to have helped. After awhile, all this tuning stuff will get easier. It's frustrating at first but then you get the hang of it. Also, if your only gonna be bashing and not racing, consider runnin the motor slightly richer. It'll help the motor last longer so that way you don't go through alot of motors. Just another tip for you.

Thanks guys. Got it running. Was just chasing a tune. This thing is pretty fast. Fast enough to crash it into my self already and strip a spur gear. The previous owner had the lash set a little tight. I think I've got it correct with the new gear (maybe 1mm of slop).

Members online

No members online now.
Back