frustrated new guy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scameron

a couple days ago........

now i am sure my frustration is due to my lack of experience with nitro engines. here's my story.
i have 2 trucks. one being a savage 25 with a mach .28 (http://www.dynamiterc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=DYN0890) engine. the second being a t-maxx 2.5.

i purchased the savage off a forum member here. the engine was just out of break in when i received it. my first time firing the truck it appeared to be running extremely rich. it was a bit sluggish. i remembered reading purenitro's thread on tuning and from what i could gather my truck was running lean. i rich-end the the HSN and no change. i got about a half tank and the truck quit. i could get it to fire back up but would die at smallest movement of throttle. it was dark and i was sick of messing with it. a few days later, i looked up the factory settings and set them according. i noticed the LSN was way rich vs the factory setting. fired the truck up and ran it. noticed it would idle high and had no power. i make a couple passes and it died. i could get it to refire and stay running. today, i set the LSN back to being flush and the truck fired up and seemed to run really good. i leaned the HSN a little and picked up power. i read where you can pinch the fuel line and listen to how the engine reacts to help set the LSN. so i tried and the engine quit after 2 seconds, which should mean it is lean. i turn the LSN out more, but i couldn't get the truck to start back up. after 10 a messing either i was done.

the t-maxx i purchased off a relative who told me the engine was new. however, it looked abused. i set the needles to factory and fired the truck. ran pretty good. i didn't touch the settings and ran a tank. refueled and couldn't get it to fire back up. i pulled the glow plug and there appeared to be an excessive amount of fuel in the cyclinder. i let it go for a few days and torn the truck apart because it needed a good cleaning. put everything back together today and tried to fire the truck. it started right up but only ran for 5 seconds. messed with for 15 minutes and decided to walk away before i lite it on fire.

so, what are the symptoms of a toasted motor? what are the symptoms and visuals of a bad glow plug? i've always wanted a nitro truck and now that i have one am starting to wish i didn't. i get really excited to run them only to be let down. i've done a lot of reading for a week now so any tips will help.

update today pertaining to only the savage...

ok tried again tonight. sorry couldn't get a video because i was unable to hold the camera and try to start the truck. i tried every combination i could. the LSN must be where the problem is. i set it to 2 turns out and couldn't get the truck to fire. i turn it out flush and it wouldn't fire. turn it about 4 turns out and it starts but only runs for a few seconds. it wants to run. i can tell it is rich. turned the LSN in a half got it to run but would stall when the breaks were applied. i messed with it another 20 minutes with no luck. my ignitor is charged and the glow plug looks good I THINK. i have blisters now between my fingers trying to start this thing. the hpi video on tuning is worthless if i can't even get the truck to start and run.

just pulled the glow plug and attached it to the ignitor. nothing.... my ignitor must be dead.

lol welcome to the forum for 1. Have you checked out tuning vids on youtube? They have all the sounds to listen for if you sit through them... RICH, Lean etc. Its hard to tell from text what you are experiencing. A vid from you would be extremely helpful in aiding you and I know, you know this... as you said in the post you didn't shoot any.

Ill go dig up some links you can look at.. I tune by sound and speed. but Ive been doing it a while now. don't GET FED UP! Give it time. Its just a lil learning curve. In no time you will have it down no issues...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma2_CghxiUk have a look at this. it may be a lil lame but has the sounds you should look for.

any vids would be helpful like I said.

I heard you say flush and I started thinking... that is a SH motor its not a flush setting for stock. Should be 2 turns out from closed on the LSN, 3.5 out on the HSN for "stock" (I think) been a long time since I had one...

I cant help on the 2.5 as I have never even seen one to be honest. But it tunes the same way. just different sounds..

LMAO, SORRY "the hpi video on tuning is worthless if i can't even get the truck to start and run." I missed this ... its is good for tuning sounds but yea other then that.. Try the settings I posted for that motor. See if that helps and post back. we can go from there....

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum. Just be patient the nitro think takes some time to get used to. Charge up the glow igniter and give it another try. Keep us posted. There are many helpfull people here who will be glad to get you going.

Like Justin said a video would be very helpfull. All the more experienced guys here will be able to help you out more that way. They all tune to the sound. Me I'm still trial and error. Takes time but you will get it. Hopefully sooner than me. LOL.

By the way welcome to the forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
lol welcome to the forum for 1. Have you checked out tuning vids on youtube? They have all the sounds to listen for if you sit through them... RICH, Lean etc. Its hard to tell from text what you are experiencing. A vid from you would be extremely helpful in aiding you and I know, you know this... as you said in the post you didn't shoot any.

Ill go dig up some links you can look at.. I tune by sound and speed. but Ive been doing it a while now. don't GET FED UP! Give it time. Its just a lil learning curve. In no time you will have it down no issues...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma2_CghxiUk have a look at this. it may be a lil lame but has the sounds you should look for.

any vids would be helpful like I said.

I heard you say flush and I started thinking... that is a SH motor its not a flush setting for stock. Should be 2 turns out from closed on the LSN, 3.5 out on the HSN for "stock" (I think) been a long time since I had one...

I cant help on the 2.5 as I have never even seen one to be honest. But it tunes the same way. just different sounds..

LMAO, SORRY "the hpi video on tuning is worthless if i can't even get the truck to start and run." I missed this ... its is good for tuning sounds but yea other then that.. Try the settings I posted for that motor. See if that helps and post back. we can go from there....

i've watched quit a few videos. i just need to get the truck to run and stay running. what exactly is an SH motor. the factory setting is 2 out on the LSN and 3.5 on the HSN as you said. however, i could never get the truck to run very long at that setting. the gentlemen i purchased the truck from just informed me to flush everything and go from there. he has ran 6 tanks through the motor before selling it to me. at my initial firing of the truck, it seemed to run very rich at idle. had a lot of pep. littlest amount of throttle would cause massive wheelies...

yeah, i've gotten a lot of help in a matter of 30 minutes. thanks a ton. so should i try factory (3.5 HSN, 2 LSN) and go from there?

The Hsn wont matter starting it and if its run-in go only say 3 turns the extra .50 to .75 will only be extra fat... the LSN is where the start issues come into play. Try 2 to get it to start. a tad Leaner will start a lil better then fat. That is the specs for the motor you posted. Unless the carb has been changed Id have to assume it wont be lean at all. And will need to go in a tad but knowing SH mills, not much at all. They are most of the time spot on to 1/4 turn off on the LSN for a good running motor

I just broke in an LRP Z.28 Spec 3 and I know it's not the same motor but a tip that helped me when I ran into some tuning issues was to reset all the needles to factory specs. Then since those are usually for break-in settings they are very rich so I went one turn in on the HSN, that got me very close to where I needed to be. Then I just had to lean it a little more to get my temps where they should be and give a tiny tweak to the LSN and idle screw. Had it running like a champ again in 10 minutes with this method.

To sum it up, go to factory specs, go one full turn in on the HSN, then once the truck is running adjust the HSN to get proper temps, then adjust LSN for good throttle response, then adjust idle screw for proper idle. Worked great for me! Good luck, and Welcome to :hpisf:

took the truck out on my lunch break. set it to FS and fired it. it started and ran pretty good. has hesitation upon throttle which is a rich mix?? i got a few runs before it died. fired it back up and ran it some more. then it died again. i have my idle messed up. i was turning it the wrong direction. tried to fire it again and nothing. i think the glow plug ignitor i purchased is bad. i didn't have a wrench to pull the glow plug and see.

Remove your air filter and set the carb opening to 1mm when the servo is pushing it all the way closed. Then use the steps I outlined above to get it tuned. Sometimes when you get all the adjustments out of whack it's hard to figure out which one needs to be adjusted.

welcome to the forum scam, as usual, the members here are giving great advice.

its easy to get frustrated when your starting out with these trucks, but before you know it, you'll be a expert and posting up to help the next guy.

Now, while you guys get this whole tuning & settings thing worked out, imma go outside and run my flux :p :rctruck:

well the other members seem to have ya covered but i wanted to say welcome to the forum!!!!!

BTW Welcome to the friendliest bunch of guys I have come across , they are all very helpfull .
another tip for the Idle is a paper Clip which is almost 1mm .

Open the paper clip slid it in the carb opening and close using the adjustment screw, I leave it some what loose , this gets me very close to proper Idle.

BTW Welcome to the friendliest bunch of guys I have come across , they are all very helpfull .

Open the paper clip slid it in the carb opening and close using the adjustment screw, I leave it some what loose , this gets me very close to proper Idle.

great tip, but don't crank down on it, that could cause damage... a small paper clip measures around.031" which is 3/4 mm

As for the 2.5, you may need a new carburetor... (traxxas carbs leak from everywhere, and the composite bodies crack)
Its hard for me or anyone else to tell without hearing it.

Do you slid paper clip vertical into carb or at slight angle?

Do you slid paper clip vertical into carb or at slight angle?

I open the paper clip ,
the remove the filter ,
open the idle
slide the paper clip in straight in , close the idle gap ,
but don't lock the clip in , it should slide and out nice (sounds reallllly bad)
with a med to large paper clip it will give you a 1 - to 1.5mm gap to start with , it's very close for me in all my motors .
can't remember where I heard this one but it worked when I first start to tuning my motors.
if you need more of a gap then need to work more on the tune .
my idle on my os sits about 2/3's of a mm I can have it sit there forever if need be.

Thank you....

I tried this with paperclip(i measured clip with calipers i found one that is a litle less than 1mm, with a little play i gues i get around 1mm gap) but i found that i could put it at angle that is why i am asking to be sure that i need to so slid it vertical..

Latest posts

Members online

Back